General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

ponys running backwards

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/13, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ponys running backwards

I recently purchased a used 2010 mustang convertable. I was out walking around it and noticed the badges on the front fender the poneys head is towards the rear of the vehicale. I also noticed there was another mustang in the parking lot so I went to check his badges. His fender badges are pointed with the ponys head towards the front of the car.
I had the dealer pull up the car fax before I purchassed it and there was nothing in there about any front end damge so Im not sure why my ponys are backwards.
Any ideas out there?
Old 12/8/13, 07:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Is it a Pony Package? The Pony Package was the only one that came with the Ponies on the fenders so they might have been put on by the previous owner if it isn't.
Old 12/8/13, 07:39 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,064 Likes on 666 Posts
That is odd unless the assembly line worker had a bad weekend or the previous owner was dyslectic. I also wondered about the 'pony package' so I looked on ebay. All 5 cars listed show the Mustang 'forward'.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-...ckage&_vxp=mtr

The other 2010 'verts I saw on ebay either had nothing or a GT emblem.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...le&_sacat=6001
Old 12/8/13, 07:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mynewpony
I recently purchased a used 2010 mustang convertable. I was out walking around it and noticed the badges on the front fender the poneys head is towards the rear of the vehicale. I also noticed there was another mustang in the parking lot so I went to check his badges. His fender badges are pointed with the ponys head towards the front of the car.
I had the dealer pull up the car fax before I purchassed it and there was nothing in there about any front end damge so Im not sure why my ponys are backwards.
Any ideas out there?
I purchased a base V6 2012 convertible, with no ponies on fender, that I applied after purchase. I don't think any "base" as in cheapest cars had ponies. Think I'd replace them. Luck.
Old 12/8/13, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I once a Jaguar XK8 convertible that had had some front end paint work. The body shop had put the leaping cats back on the wrong sides so they were leaping backwards. It leaped right out at me from across the lot. I would dig a little deeper if I were you.
Old 12/8/13, 09:59 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I recall early in the 1970s a local police department received a new patrol car with a Dodge body front end and a Plymouth rear. It left a lasting impression of MOPAR build quality-thus my Mustang.
Old 12/8/13, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 04 v6 with my ponies on backwards. Mine has a salavage title. I have also wondered this because I occasionally see some backwards like mine but every other is correct
Old 12/15/13, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The ponies should be forward facing... some one probably added them after purchase and put them on the wrong sides
Old 12/15/13, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by junkman9096
I recall early in the 1970s a local police department received a new patrol car with a Dodge body front end and a Plymouth rear. It left a lasting impression of MOPAR build quality-thus my Mustang.

I am the second owner of a '68 Plymouth Fury with an optional deluxe steering wheel...
The center on the steering wheel has a Dodge emblem...
Old 2/4/16, 12:45 PM

Does anyone know a source for purchasing the running ponys door decals? My car is in the shop and they had to remove one decal. When they called Ford, they found out that Ford no longer makes or carries them. I'm devastated that I may lose my ponys altogether.

Thanks for any help.
Old 2/4/16, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My left door leather insert is the correct GT one like this:

My right door on the other hand came with the California package insert, like this:

I left it this way , because f**k it.
Old 2/9/16, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why are they both left doors on different color cars?
Old 2/9/16, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rick57
why are they both left doors on different color cars?
You serious? I said "like this" pointing at what the inserts look like, I'm not going to take pictures of individual doors on my car just to show how it looks.I can just pick 2 pictures of the inserts in 20 seconds from Google search. pffff.
Old 2/12/16, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happens - my brother had a pre-production '74 Pontiac Astre that he found out later toured the auto shows and was driven by journalists evaluating this new model.

It had a Chevy Vega emblem on the dash, a colour of green that was from a different Pontiac (he found this out when buying touch-up paint), and it had a few options (like a tachometer and better sound insulation) that weren't supposed to be available on that particular model.
Old 2/14/16, 06:37 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Noilly Pratt
It happens - my brother had a pre-production '74 Pontiac Astre that he found out later toured the auto shows and was driven by journalists evaluating this new model.

It had a Chevy Vega emblem on the dash, a colour of green that was from a different Pontiac (he found this out when buying touch-up paint), and it had a few options (like a tachometer and better sound insulation) that weren't supposed to be available on that particular model.
Similar story. I worked at a Lincoln-Merc dealership in '79 and a new Fox Capri rolled off the delivery truck with a Mustang interior.

Ford's quality control in the 70's was non-existent. Another time our service department was doing a PDI inspection for delivery of another new Capri. The wipers jammed about 1/3 of the way, so the tech intended to install new linkage. When he removed the cowl he found an empty half-pint bottle of whiskey jammed in the mechanism covered with white over spray. I notified the Ford district service manager in Teterboro immediately. He just said to forget about it.