General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/07, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Brian.

What I wonder is you watch a show like OverHaulin and they spray the engine and such with the same color as the car... You know it has to hold up because most of these are show cars and daily drivers. I wonder what paint they use?
Old 6/24/07, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

WOW! Brian those camcovers look really good. I'm impressed I may consider painting them myself depending on the price I get from my PW connection. How much prep work/paint time was involved?
Old 6/24/07, 09:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Not a fan of the "blingy" hoses.
+1... gotta draw the line somewhere.

Originally Posted by habu
Here you go, my 15 dollar solution.
Looks great Brian! Color closely matches the C&L hoses!
Old 6/24/07, 09:51 PM

Shift light update!!

Well, forget about the MSD. I really like it, but I can't pass up the offer from Raptor.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We would love to get more exposure. Since we don't advertise, we operate on "word of mouth" advertising.
If you will forward your address and color preferences for the shift light, we'll get one out to you ASAP.

Thanks and we look forward to working with you.

It's feels good to be the Taco.
Old 6/24/07, 09:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Well, forget about the MSD. I really like it, but I can't pass up the offer from Raptor.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your interest in our products. We would love to get more exposure. Since we don't advertise, we operate on "word of mouth" advertising.
If you will forward your address and color preferences for the shift light, we'll get one out to you ASAP.

Thanks and we look forward to working with you.

(Napolean Dynamite voice) Lucky!
Old 6/24/07, 10:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Brian those camcovers look really good. I'm impressed I may consider painting them myself depending on the price I get from my PW connection. How much prep work/paint time was involved?
Basically prep was...

Brakekleen and 000 steel wool to clean it all up. Then used a 3M automotive scruby thing, like you use for dishes but softer, to clean up. One last wipe with paint thinner, let it dry evaporate for about 10/15. Tape up anything you don't want painted.

Once it was done I just laid the cam covers on some cardboard and spayed a light first coat, then two complete coverage coats with 10 minutes in between. Wait 3 hours once you're done. Taking no more than 1 hour to complete.

Now, they can be scratched or if your like me you can drop a wrench onto the newly painted covers. a serious SNAFU. Don't be like me and be in a hurry. S-l-o-w down. Which is a good thing. As long as there is someone to help guide/hold the wires I don't see them getting too messed up.

Differences noted between Bill's write up and mine.
1) apparently a '07 has 10 & 9 cover bolts not 15 & 14 ??
2) the biggest PITA was the bottom passenger side factory gasket sealer. That was the most difficult piece.
3) A green, like for dishes, thing will get and clean up any sealer that the plastic scraper doesn't want to get.
4) the big wire harness is held in by 3 x-mas tree connectors on the side of the ECU, pull these out and you have much more room.

Thanks for the complements !! I was very pleased with how they turned out. Didn't plan on them matching the C&L hose, but I'll take a freebie anyway I can get it.
Old 6/24/07, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by pville piper
Looks good Brian.

What I wonder is you watch a show like OverHaulin and they spray the engine and such with the same color as the car... You know it has to hold up because most of these are show cars and daily drivers. I wonder what paint they use?
I've seen that and have a can of Vista Blue. But this car convinced me not to go that route.

It blends too much with the car. It doesn't make the engine stand out. I wanted something that would make someone look at the motor. I wanted contrasts from the Vista Blue, aluminum and black plastic

Now if I could only afford the ceramic coated shorties !!!!
Old 6/24/07, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't know if you saw this thread or not Brian but the SHR panel looks pretty Bad a$$ with the SSE ducktail.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-cimg0631.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-cimg0633.jpg  
Old 6/24/07, 10:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nice Covers Bill !!

Speaking of covers... Whew, am I glad I'm done with mine... Didn't take too many pics 'cause it was just me and I just couldn't do it as nice as TacoBill does. Dad did come home and help put 'em back on though. Here you go, my 15 dollar solution.

Brian your covers look great nice job can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe.

Bill
Old 6/24/07, 10:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Don't know if you saw this thread or not Brian but the SHR panel looks pretty Bad a$$ with the SSE ducktail.
That is nice. I'd love to do it but am chicken to knock out the window. Not too many VBs with a ducktail. The panel.. , IMO, Stripes are calling my name

Bill, thanks for the kind words. By the time the next Cafe rolls around I should have a lot done to the car !!
Old 6/24/07, 10:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks !!
Yep !! (after running back out and re-reading it). I am assuming that the 7 days to cure relates to and additional coat. If it's 7 days before I can drive it, then I'm screwed.
Brain your cam covers look great can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe.

Bill
Old 6/24/07, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Brian your covers look great nice job can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe.

Bill
Originally Posted by JedCranium
Brain your cam covers look great can't wait to see them at the next Mustang Cafe.

Bill
deja'vu?
Old 6/24/07, 11:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

deja'vu?
They look so good he had to say it twice !!
Old 6/25/07, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

That's cool... Now everyone here will be trying to figure out how they can get something for free!

Didn't plan on them matching the C&L hose, but I'll take a freebie anyway I can get it.
No doubt!

I've seen that and have a can of Vista Blue. But this car convinced me not to go that route. It blends too much with the car. It doesn't make the engine stand out. I wanted something that would make someone look at the motor. I wanted contrasts from the Vista Blue, aluminum and black plastic
Yeah, in a less crowded compartment it would look good but with all the wires it would tend to "fade" into the background. I thinking more of the limited colors that they offer. I would like to see more a selection.

Now if I could only afford the ceramic coated shorties !!!!
Seems to be a common theme around here! Even though I don't have to buy CARB approved ones $300+ is still alot to pay for a purely cosmetic mod not to mention the amount of pain in the a$$ work involved. I love the ad for JBA headers in the stang mags that stated "+25 hp with a tune and a CAI"... Ok, so how much was the headers themselves when everybody is saying +25 hp for a tune & and CAI without the headers?

deja'vu?
All over again!

They look so good he had to say it twice !!
Easy big guy... Watch the hat size!
Old 6/25/07, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Never mind, stupidity o n my part
Old 6/25/07, 12:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
You can file this under nice to know and probably every one already knows information. I just ran into this custom color chart for MyColor.

MyColor Custom color codes

This was cool for me as I’m still in discovery mode for my GT
Check out post #1 in this thread. A lot of good info there.
Old 6/25/07, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Check out post #1 in this thread. A lot of good info there.
OK OK, I admit I never looked at the very first post, I'm guilty

Geez, sorry........................

I knew it was a bad Monday
Old 6/25/07, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Bad Philster! No biscuit!

Old 6/25/07, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by pville piper
Bad Philster! No biscuit!

Yeah, bad Phil!