General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/07, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I'm still mad at myself for that!
Hey you caught it, so no harm no foul buddy. You are all good with us!
Old 6/14/07, 07:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
She's going to have it blown up to a 11 x 14. Should look pretty good - it's a 3 MB picture.
Should look good enlarged. Did you try and lighten yourself up so you can see your face?

On second thought, don't lighten it.
Old 6/14/07, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Here's the final picture after Jackie did her magic on the brightness and contrast... and after I did my magic on the emblem. I also removed the chrome gas cap on the blue car behind me. It was making my dash too cluttered:

She's going to have it blown up to a 11 x 14. Should look pretty good - it's a 3 MB picture.
It looks very nice Tom, you should be very proud of your Mustang and all the hard work you've put into it. It presents itself very well and is Top Notch, or is that Top Shelf!
Old 6/14/07, 07:14 PM
GTR Member

I did something different with my dyno chart and the dynojet program. Instead of making two separate graphs on top of each other, I made one graph and overlapped torque and A/F ratio so they both take up the entire chart.

Torque is in green, A/F Ratio is in blue (for the same run).

I just think it's neat to watch how closely related the two are. As A/F goes up, torque goes up (1500 RPM). As A/F peaks, torque levels off. As A/F takes that very rich drop, torque drops (3000 RPM). As A/F climbs back to the "best power" mark of 13:1, torque skyrockets and peaks (4000 RPM). Then as A/F starts to decline again, so does torque. It's not directly related, because RPM is also in the formula.

I've decided to dyno it one more time.

We've figured out how to get rid of that very rich valley (3000 RPM) in the A/F ratio. That's when the rods in the carb go rich into "power mode". I'm going to change rods so they are 2 stages leaner and that will bring that valley up quite a bit. It shouldn't drop lower than 11.75:1 or so.

By the way, right there at 3750 RPM is where the secondaries open up... then it goes lean right to 13:1.

After that, the rod change will also help keep A/F from 4000 to 6000 RPM leaner and closer to 13:1.
Old 6/14/07, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
Hey you caught it, so no harm no foul buddy. You are all good with us!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Should look good enlarged. Did you try and lighten yourself up so you can see your face?

On second thought, don't lighten it.
I like the ambiguity of the shot. And the fact that we were unaware of the photographer.

Originally Posted by philster2003
It looks very nice Tom, you should be very proud of your Mustang and all the hard work you've put into it. It presents itself very well and is Top Notch, or is that Top Shelf!
Thanks! I am proud - but have to learn to be satisfied. After this next time, I'm sure I will be.

Here's what I have planned:

I'm reducing the gap of the plugs, changing fuel filters (my current one actually filters too good and reduces flow), changing the rods like I mentioned above, changing to synthetic oil, slightly increasing fuel pressure, installing a new distributor cap, advancing timing 2 degrees, and reducing rev-limit to 6200.

All of those should be in the positive direction and will increase HP and TQ from 4000 to 6000 RPM.
Old 6/14/07, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks! I am proud - but have to learn to be satisfied. After this next time, I'm sure I will be.
Satisfied? I'm not familiar with this word.

I have my Roush shift **** for sale if anyone is interested!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...258#post940258
Old 6/14/07, 10:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I did something different with my dyno chart and the dynojet program. Instead of making two separate graphs on top of each other, I made one graph and overlapped torque and A/F ratio so they both take up the entire chart.

Torque is in green, A/F Ratio is in blue (for the same run).

I just think it's neat to watch how closely related the two are. As A/F goes up, torque goes up (1500 RPM). As A/F peaks, torque levels off. As A/F takes that very rich drop, torque drops (3000 RPM). As A/F climbs back to the "best power" mark of 13:1, torque skyrockets and peaks (4000 RPM). Then as A/F starts to decline again, so does torque. It's not directly related, because RPM is also in the formula.

I've decided to dyno it one more time.

We've figured out how to get rid of that very rich valley (3000 RPM) in the A/F ratio. That's when the rods in the carb go rich into "power mode". I'm going to change rods so they are 2 stages leaner and that will bring that valley up quite a bit. It shouldn't drop lower than 11.75:1 or so.

By the way, right there at 3750 RPM is where the secondaries open up... then it goes lean right to 13:1.

After that, the rod change will also help keep A/F from 4000 to 6000 RPM leaner and closer to 13:1.
Nothing like fine tuning.
Old 6/15/07, 08:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the final picture after Jackie did her magic on the brightness and contrast... and after I did my magic on the emblem. I also removed the chrome gas cap on the blue car behind me. It was making my dash too cluttered:

That'll Look great !!
Old 6/15/07, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Doug finally got the Racer intakes back in stock yesterday from C&L. Hopefully, he'll be sending mine out today.

I wish I already had it so I can bang out the CAI and camcovers at the same time Saturday. Oh well, it was out of Doug's hands.
Bill, here's a picture of your racer intake with a shaker hood. Now, the cams...MM&FF July edition. thump, thump, thump.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-3-valve-thump.jpg  
Old 6/15/07, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by matko
Bill, here's a picture of your racer intake with a shaker hood. Now, the cams...MM&FF July edition. thump, thump, thump.
Looks sweeet!

I'll have to pass on the cams. It's a CA car, meaning I'll have to smog it every 2 years. Not worth the hassle, kinda like getting LT's.
Old 6/15/07, 01:09 PM
Cobra R Member

I just wanted to let you guys in on a tragedy I discovered today. I went to Ideal automotive to get the tint strip removed from my windshield and I ran into a couple of GT500s. The guy purchased a black GT500 convertable and a red couple with white stripes. One of them was for him, one for his wife. But anyway, the guy put Lambo doors and a touch screen on the black one. When I saw him open the doors, I wanted to puke. They had to modify the body of the car to make the kit fit. Not only that, but he paid $75k for the thing from Brandon Ford.

I also wanted to let you know of the stupidity of the salesmen at Brandon Ford. I stopped in today to see if they had any strut cap kits in stock. So I just casually walk over to the Mustangs and get molested by car salesmen. I'm talking to the guy for a while and he asks me if I like those rooshes over there...I'm really puzzled until I think about what he's trying to say. The guy is working for the biggest Roush dealer in the country and doesn't even know how to say Roush. I certainly knew more about Mustangs than this guy will ever know. How sad.

In more positive news, they had some really nice Stangs in stock at Brandon Ford. The drag pack Roush they had in the showroom was awesome. The grabber GT500 was not too shabby either. I noticed they had a vista GT500 and black Shelby GT sitting outside but I was sick of dealing with the idiots at the place and just wanted to leave.
Old 6/15/07, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question for the peanut gallery....

I want to do "something" to my cam(valve) covers. Should I
1) buy or have mine Powercoated Blue covers
2) Paint mine myself ?

Now I've NEVER had a problem with painting valve covers myself, then again I never would have thought I'd have a car that I might put into shows. That being said, they make hi-temp paint for this type of application as well as clearcoat, which I'd use after lightly sanding them down. Could you even tell the between the two ??
Old 6/15/07, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by habu

2) Paint mine myself ?

Now I've NEVER had a problem with painting valve covers myself, then again I never would have thought I'd have a car that I might put into shows. That being said, they make hi-temp paint for this type of application as well as clearcoat, which I'd use after lightly sanding them down. Could you even tell the between the two ??
How did your other cam covers turn out? If you did a good job on your past cam covers I'd say do them yourself. If it looked bad then get them Powdercoated. Cheapest PW I've found here in SD is $80-90 for both covers. If you find a cheaper place let me know.
Old 6/15/07, 03:03 PM
GTR Member

Get the $4 Dupli-color paint and do it yourself. It's enamel with ceramic. Then use the clearcoat. They have tons of colors and it will look great when you are done. You can do the whole thing for less than $10.
Old 6/15/07, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by kh765
...Not only that, but he paid $75k for the thing from Brandon Ford.
I'm surprised Dealers are still marking up the GT500's that much.

Originally Posted by habu

2) Paint mine myself ?
I vote for #2.

I've read one too many posts on the paint chipping or peeling off the camcovers, no matter how well the surface was prepped, primed, sprayed, and cleared.

I have yet to read 1 negative post on covers that have been powdercoated.

I think Leo's even leaning towards getting his covers powdercoated.
Old 6/15/07, 05:16 PM
Cobra R Member

I vote for #2.

I've read one too many posts on the paint chipping or peeling off the camcovers, no matter how well the surface was prepped, primed, sprayed, and cleared.

I have yet to read 1 negative post on covers that have been powdercoated.

I think Leo's even leaning towards getting his covers powdercoated.
Then you vote #1?
Old 6/15/07, 05:17 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Then you vote #1?
I was waiting for him to catch that.

I still vote for #2 (really). Nothing should make the paint chip or crack... they get nowhere near 500 degrees. My entire block is painted with that paint and still looks as good as the day I painted it.
Old 6/15/07, 05:24 PM

Oops! Meant option #1.
Old 6/15/07, 05:25 PM

Nothing should make the paint chip or crack... they get nowhere near 500 degrees.
That's what those guys thought too.
Old 6/15/07, 05:35 PM

Next on my mod list...

Raptor shift light.
Found a seller on ebay that's selling them for $85 shipped ($7 cheaper than Raptor direct).

I'm planning on mounting it inside the left-center air vent. I'll have to look inside the vent to see if the black or silver Raptor housing blends in better before placing my order.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-hsg_colors1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)