General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/10, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire rotation...

About to rotate the tires on the Highlander...some Tire rotation IQ.

Four (4) Tire Rotation

What tire rotation pattern should be followed? The Tire & Rim Association has identified three traditional rotation patterns covering most vehicles (equipped with non-directional tires and wheels which are the same size and offset).
  • On front-wheel drive cars, rotate the tires in a forward cross pattern (Figure A) or the alternative X pattern (Figure B)
  • On rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicles, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (Figure C) or the alternative X pattern (Figure B)

Today’s performance tire and wheel trends have provided the need for two additional tire rotation patterns.
  • The "Front-to-Rear" (Figure D) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with the same size directional wheels and/or directional tires.
  • A "Side-to-Side" (Figure E) pattern may be used for vehicles equipped with different sized non-directional tires and wheels on the front axle compared to the rear axle.

If the last two rotation patterns do not provide even wear, dismounting, mounting and rebalancing will be necessary to rotate the tires. Vehicles that use different sized directional wheels and tires, and/or wheels with different front and rear offsets with directional tires will require dismounting, mounting and rebalancing to rotate tires.

Five (5) Tire Rotation

While many vehicles are equipped with temporary spares that cannot be included in a tire rotation program, if the vehicle’s four wheels and tires on the ground match the spare wheel and tire (if non-directional and not branded "for temporary use"), they should be included in the tire rotation pattern. Follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended tire rotation procedures, or if not available, insert the spare in the right rear position at every rotation. Place the tire that would have gone to the right rear in the trunk as the spare until the next tire rotation.
  • On front-wheel drive cars with full-size matching spare, rotate the tires in a forward cross pattern (Figure F)
  • On rear-wheel or four-wheel drive cars with full-size matching spare, rotate the tires in a rearward cross pattern (Figure G)

Five tire rotation results in equally distributed use that will help maintain equivalent tread depths on all five tires throughout their life. When applied to many four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles, this is required to prevent driveline damage if a flat tire forces a new spare to be put into service with partially worn tires on the other three wheel positions.
More Tire Tech Information

Related Links:
Breaking In Your Tires
Checking Tire Inflation Pressure
Storing Tires
Old 3/18/10, 07:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JedCranium
About to rotate the tires on the Highlander...some Tire rotation IQ.
For simplicity and because it doesn't require alot of thinking, I always prefer the 'D' method, Front-to-Rear.

With that said, I don't remember the last time I rotated the tires on the Taco.
Old 3/18/10, 07:19 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
With that said, I don't remember the last time I rotated the tires on the Taco.

Think you should worry about flat spots more?
Old 3/18/10, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scothew
Think you should worry about flat spots more?
I said Taco.. as in Tacoma.
Old 3/18/10, 07:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey look where are the bomber girls? Back in the day!
Great pics jed!! I'm glad that I'm not wearing coveralls that say disneyland anymore!!!
Old 3/18/10, 07:37 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I said Taco.. as in Tacoma.
Old 3/18/10, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Bill!

FYI, This just came up on the job board....

Thank you for inquiring about the opportunity to become an Aircraft Pre-Flight Inspector - Department 525 LAX.

Job Summary: Responsible for performing Visual, Borescope, and NDT (non-destructive testing) inspection of aircraft, engines, and components in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and Delta's manuals and specifications. Performs inspection or buyback of work to assure that the workmanship, methods, and materials used are in conformity with FAA and Delta's manuals and specifications. Maintains current knowledge of all applicable FAA and Delta rules and regulations. Maintains qualification on inspection methods and tasks (e.g. Preflight, NDT, Borescope and Required Inspection) on all fleet types assigned by their Inspection Supervisor. Completes all work cards and documents in a legible, detailed, and comprehensive manner. Practices safety conscious behavior in all operational processes and procedures.

Job Qualifications: Must possess an Airframe & Powerplant (A&P) License. Must have a minimum of six years aircraft maintenance and/or inspection experience. Must be presently classified as an AMT or above. Must have a thorough working and theoretical knowledge of all phases of aircraft maintenance with a good working knowledge of company and manufacturer's manuals and specifications. Must be capable of learning and physically able to perform inspection duties assigned by Inspection supervision. NDT & Borescope experience is highly desirable. Must have the ability to achieve and maintain several NDT and preflight qualifications. Computer skills are necessary. Must be able to respond flexibly to changing or multiple work demands. Must be able to read and write English. Must be able to work without close supervisory direction to complete the job without constant assignment of tasks. Must demonstrate a willingness to practice safe work habits as evidenced through behavior and attitude. Requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Must have the ability to work rotating shifts as needed.
Must be able to meet the requirements of the taxi questionnaire, vision test and hearing test. Must be performing satisfactorily in present position.

To qualify for this position, you must:

Have a valid driver's license

Be at least 18 years of age

Be able to pass an extensive background check, drug test and audiogram

Be authorized to work in the US

Have the ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays

Salary Range - Pay Grade N/A

Maximum: 6347.58
Currency: USD
Old 3/18/10, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Hey Bill!

FYI, This just came up on the job board....
Thanks for the heads up George! I may be ready to hit you up in a couple years, we still have C-17's that need my expertise!
Old 3/18/10, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the heads up George! I may be ready to hit you up in a couple years, we still have C-17's that need my expertise!
I know, just though you might find it interesting!

Look at this terminator hanging tough with a ZR1...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/term...zr1_741385.htm
Old 3/18/10, 03:12 PM

I know, just though you might find it interesting!

Look at this terminator hanging tough with a ZR1...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/term...zr1_741385.htm
I did find the position cool! I use the 'boring-scope' here at work once in a while, no NDT though (different union classification). Most of my experience is with CMM.

I was rooting for the Termi!
Old 3/18/10, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I did find the position cool! I use the 'boring-scope' here at work once in a while, no NDT though (different union classification). Most of my experience is with CMM.

I was rooting for the Termi!
I recognize that track! I like how that Porsche spun out! Haha! I wonder how the ROUSH would hold up to a ZR1.
Old 3/18/10, 04:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Plus no Me & Ed's Pizza for miles away that's a deal breaker right there!
Old 3/18/10, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What do you guys think of this.....
Ford Racing 4.6L 3Valve Intake Manifold

I think my set up would benefit from this intake, so would Leo and Bill. But will the shaker fit??
Old 3/18/10, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I recognize that track! I like how that Porsche spun out! Haha! I wonder how the ROUSH would hold up to a ZR1.

Forgedaboudit
Old 3/18/10, 07:20 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
that termy held up better than I would have expected! Driver could use a few tips and I think he'd hang real close!
Old 3/19/10, 12:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FormerGmc
Forgedaboudit
Ya you're right Steve I don't want to embarass that bowtie driver! WoooooT!
Old 3/19/10, 12:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
that termy held up better than I would have expected! Driver could use a few tips and I think he'd hang real close!
I think that ZR1 driver was taking it easy he should of had way more separation in the twisties on that Termi IMO.
Old 3/19/10, 12:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think my set up would benefit from this intake, so would Leo and Bill. But will the shaker fit??
Looks cool!
Old 3/19/10, 07:43 AM

Looks cool, but that's 5 bills plus retuning; all for maybe 40hp on the top end.

For you, if it doesn't require a tune, it may be a good mod. If a tune is required, not too sure you want to go down that road. I mean all the tuners couldn't even give you a decent CAI tune.

As for the CDC Shaker, you'd have to customize a rear mounting point (it mounts to one of the plastic lip on the runner). Next issue may be the height... guess that will be your issue too.
Old 3/19/10, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya you're right Steve I don't want to embarass that bowtie driver! WoooooT!

Right!

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)