General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/10, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habu
SOOoooo.... it's going to be 200 bucks to get a new one which is too bad really, but what can you do.
Gas leaks = bad
Good you found the leak. What carb are you getting as a replacement? Does it have a 2-bbl now?
Old 3/8/10, 07:45 PM
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. I've seen some weird stuff with carbs before but never something like this. SOOoooo.... it's going to be 200 bucks to get a new one which is too bad really, but what can you do.
Hell I ain't spending money on the Mustang as much anymore, so why not, right ?
Hey Brian.

Sounds like a float or needle valve problem
You should be able to get a rebuild kit for the carb for around $50.00.

Check out this site. http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/catal...uck/index.html
Old 3/8/10, 08:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
Hey Brian.

I remember those days, carb cleaner dip has a distinct smell I kinda like it. 2 barrel should be cake, just don't forget what went where. Carb rebuilds are a lost art for most of us modern D-Swingers!

Here you go Brian this may give you encouragement>

This too>

Last edited by JedCranium; 3/8/10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 3/8/10, 08:37 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I think I need to buy something old, with a carb on it so I can figure out how to work on them
Old 3/8/10, 08:39 PM
NTTAWWT

I've decided against that Mustang...it's **** close to what I want, but I'm just super worried about the accident on the front end

beside that, I was going to have to spend a pretty good bit to get it done right

I'm going to keep looking, hopefully I'll be able to find the stock version of that one with about 50k miles, it's difficult to find ones like that, but I've waited long enough for one, I'll wait till I find just the one I want.
Old 3/8/10, 08:43 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
I've decided against that Mustang...it's **** close to what I want, but I'm just super worried about the accident on the front end

beside that, I was going to have to spend a pretty good bit to get it done right

I'm going to keep looking, hopefully I'll be able to find the stock version of that one with about 50k miles, it's difficult to find ones like that, but I've waited long enough for one, I'll wait till I find just the one I want.
I think that's wise reasoning David.

It won't hurt you not to buy it, but it could hurt you if you did. So to speak.
Old 3/8/10, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good move David! Just be patient and get what you really want! Just keep looking, the good ones
are out there. It took me three months to find mine
Old 3/8/10, 09:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think I need to buy something old, with a carb on it so I can figure out how to work on them
There is a romance about working on something old and bringing it back to life. You know the Frankenstien Theory! It takes a special discipline to know where you draw the line otherwise it can get very expensive over the long haul. That said budget builds are very satisfying I'd love to have a rusty old hot rod with jacked paint but a sound power plant and drive train! Someday!
Old 3/8/10, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
Good move David! Just be patient and get what you really want! Just keep looking, the good ones
I just listened to VI today! Chill'in going home from work. YO VIP>!

Last edited by JedCranium; 3/8/10 at 09:41 PM.
Old 3/8/10, 09:46 PM
Number Cruncher

Originally Posted by JedCranium
I remember those days, carb cleaner dip has a distinct smell I kinda like it. 2 barrel should be cake, just don't forget what went where. Carb rebuilds are a lost art for most of us modern D-Swingers!

This too>
Dangit Jed. I just finished dinner.
Now I'm gagging on the memory of carb dip.

Nice thing about the website I referenced, the carb numbers are linked to exploded diagrams of the carb.
Old 3/8/10, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just listened to VI today! Chill'in going home from work. YO VIP>!

rollin in my 5.0

Old 3/8/10, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a romance about working on something old and bringing it back to life. You know the Frankenstien Theory! It takes a special discipline to know where you draw the line otherwise it can get very expensive over the long haul. That said budget builds are very satisfying I'd love to have a rusty old hot rod with jacked paint but a sound power plant and drive train! Someday!
I loved working on my '68... Granted, I *had* to work on it cause it was in such bad condition, but it taught me a lot... Some day I'll get another one to tinker with...
Old 3/8/10, 10:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Gas leaks = bad
Good you found the leak. What carb are you getting as a replacement? Does it have a 2-bbl now?
it wasn't a gas leak, it was a gas fountain I figure that the float was stuck and it overflowed the carb with fuel. I really can't describe how bad it was. I'm rocking the 2V, yo!

Hey Brian.

Pretty sure a float was stuck in the down position, but I decided against a kit. Main reasoning, and I'll try to get a pic up on Wed, is that there is a hole in the top of the fuel bowl and it is from this hole that the fountain gushes. Got a reman for 200 bux and once I saw that it did not have the hole on the top like the one on the truck I thought that spending money on a kit that may not fix the problem would be better spent on a *new* carb.

This too>
I've rebuilt Motorcrap and Rottenchesters before, not as easy as a Holley 4bbl, so it doesn't completely scare me. What bothered me is, what else could be potentially wrong with it that a kit won't fix
Originally Posted by USMC0341
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I think that's wise reasoning David.

It won't hurt you not to buy it, but it could hurt you if you did. So to speak.
+100 Be patient David and you'll get the car you want.

Dangit Jed. I just finished dinner.
Now I'm gagging on the memory of carb dip.

Nice thing about the website I referenced, the carb numbers are linked to exploded diagrams of the carb.
I loved that stuff. Could clean anything. Sure it stayed on your hands for days but it worked.

So, the important thing is She's running now. Kind of a ***** when it's cold but once it warms up it runs pretty good and I'm hoping tune-up check the timing that it will run even better.

Main problems still to be fixed/discovered this evening.
1) No side mirror.. sure not an Emergency, but still.
2) No dash lights when the headlights come on. Could be a fuse or the headlight switch
3) Exhaust is leaking where the manifold meets the "mid pipe".

I am hoping that Sunday I'll get to take care of most if not all of these issues.
Old 3/8/10, 10:49 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

So, the important thing is She's running now. Kind of a ***** when it's cold but once it warms up it runs pretty good and I'm hoping tune-up check the timing that it will run even better.

Main problems still to be fixed/discovered this evening.
1) No side mirror.. sure not an Emergency, but still.
2) No dash lights when the headlights come on. Could be a fuse or the headlight switch
3) Exhaust is leaking where the manifold meets the "mid pipe".

I am hoping that Sunday I'll get to take care of most if not all of these issues.
Sounds like fun Brian. Nothing like a good project list. I know I'm enjoying working on the Bronco and its a heck of a lot cheaper than working on the '07 Stang.
Old 3/8/10, 10:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Sounds like fun Brian. Nothing like a good project list. I know I'm enjoying working on the Bronco and its a heck of a lot cheaper than working on the '07 Stang.
Thanks
Yeah it's going to be a fun project. Dad hasn't touched a carb in years (neither have I) and he got under there and without missing a beat got the mixture nailed so it just hums once it warms up. He might have been very skeptical at first but I think he's warming over. There is probably another grand to spend on the little things, but once they're done it'll be a very solid truck.
Old 3/9/10, 12:49 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad that you have a good head on your shoulders David. I know some people that would have said screw them I gonna get it anyways just because they wanted a mustang. I know you will find the perfect one for you.

Like I told you in MCTC I tend to pick apart used cars and find the smallest things wrong with them. Just remember to keep your head up and you will find one.
Old 3/9/10, 12:54 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks
Yeah it's going to be a fun project. Dad hasn't touched a carb in years (neither have I) and he got under there and without missing a beat got the mixture nailed so it just hums once it warms up. He might have been very skeptical at first but I think he's warming over. There is probably another grand to spend on the little things, but once they're done it'll be a very solid truck.
Good luck on the truck man. It sounds and looks like a great project.

My uncle had a 67 F100 that he put a flatbed on and dropped a 429 out of a 69 T-bird in. That thing was a beast.
Old 3/9/10, 07:06 AM
NTTAWWT

I wanna old hot rod too, something big, shiny, and metal, with lots of chrome

I've always liked the old shoebox Chevy's

my uncle's got a '56 that I think is amazing
Old 3/9/10, 07:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

David, forget the GT and just save up for a Termi.

Seriously, if that GT wasn't what you really wanted, good move on passing on it.
Old 3/9/10, 07:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What better of a place to get great car advice ! So what if it breaks his heart ( kiddind) no really most people here are indeed well seasoned authorities on stuff through painfull trial and error

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)