Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/09, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMC0341
Good morning gents!!

Nice!

I'll make sure not to **** you off Brain!
Cant.use.youtube.at.work

Like I said, none of you are remotely as annoying as Steve, none would deserve me to be an ***.

Got my quote for the ice-box and shift-light. Will have them installed on the 23rd.... suspiciously close to the next Barona day
Old 1/8/09, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
Cant.use.youtube.at.work

Like I said, none of you are remotely as annoying as Steve, none would deserve me to be an ***.

Got my quote for the ice-box and shift-light. Will have them installed on the 23rd.... suspiciously close to the next Barona day
Ahhhh good so no electrical work this weekend.
Old 1/8/09, 12:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Ahhhh good so no electrical work this weekend.
yeah... the quote is 40 bucks to do the light, so no need for us to mess with it

Found out that the trunk ice-box is 295 bucks more so I went with the under-the-hood one. The box itself is not even 100 bucks more the rest is labor and materials
I don't race that much or need it enough to justify 300 bucks.
Old 1/8/09, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it looks like the C&L intake is coming off. The car had been running rough all of a sudden. After a little bit of troubleshooting found the intake tube had a small spilt right at a molding seam close to the throttle body end. This was the cause of a vacuum leak. I probably caused it by overtightening the clamp.
I do have a tune for the stock saleen setup(98mm MAF) so its all not bad news. I'll drive it around with the saleen set up for a while until I can decide what direction to go with the PJ.
Old 1/8/09, 12:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

yeah... the quote is 40 bucks to do the light, so no need for us to mess with it

Found out that the trunk ice-box is 295 bucks more so I went with the under-the-hood one. The box itself is not even 100 bucks more the rest is labor and materials
I don't race that much or need it enough to justify 300 bucks.
My "real" opinion on the whole ice box thing......
If your going to use the justification that you don't race much then you really shouldn't get an ice box at all. To be honest for as much as either of us goes I'd say an icebox is a waste of money. Even if I had a water intercooler I wouldn't get one. If your going to do it though I'd say go all out and get the trunk mounted box.

Not trying to be an *** but I think the best mod you could do right now is just get more seat time. Your car as it is now is definetly faster than 8.3. I'd get your ET down as low as possible then worry about shaving another tenth or two. Other than that the the only other mod that I can say would even be worth spending the $$$ for you is some tires. You need to get away from that 28" diameter tire you have now or get 4.10's. Even if I had a water intercooler I wouldn't get one. If your going to do it though I'd say go all out and get the trunk mounted box.
Old 1/8/09, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well it looks like the C&L intake is coming off. The car had been running rough all of a sudden. After a little bit of troubleshooting found the intake tube had a small spilt right at a molding seam close to the throttle body end. This was the cause of a vacuum leak. I probably caused it by overtightening the clamp.
I do have a tune for the stock saleen setup(98mm MAF) so its all not bad news. I'll drive it around with the saleen set up for a while until I can decide what direction to go with the PJ.
I think Jed and or Bill have got a C&L sitting around they'd like to get rid off. I'd give you mine but I'm still holding all my bolt-on's for Luis.
Old 1/8/09, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Ray-The fear of "BOOM" never leaves you. Even though I've taken several long trips, abused it at the track and go into boost atleast once a day I'm still paranoid till this day. 99% of the time I'll turn the radio off before I go into boost. Gives me a fall sense of security that if I hear something I'll be able to let off before any damage happens.
That's about the gayest thing I've read in a while....... "here honey, you fasten your seatbelt and I'll turn down the radio so we can go fast".......

Drive your car the way you want to drive it, and do it everyday....... it will love you for it.
Old 1/8/09, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

If your going to use the justification that you don't race much then you really shouldn't get an ice box at all. To be honest for as much as either of us goes I'd say an icebox is a waste of money. Even if I had a water intercooler I wouldn't get one. If your going to do it though I'd say go all out and get the trunk mounted box.

Not trying to be an *** but I think the best mod you could do right now is just get more seat time. Your car as it is now is definetly faster than 8.3. I'd get your ET down as low as possible then worry about shaving another tenth or two. Other than that the the only other mod that I can say would even be worth spending the $$$ for you is some tires. You need to get away from that 28" diameter tire you have now or get 4.10's. Even if I had a water intercooler I wouldn't get one. If your going to do it though I'd say go all out and get the trunk mounted box.
I agree with Leo to an extent. I really do think adding all these new mods is only aiding so far. My opinion is similar to his; it would be better to improve with what you have now and tinker later. Tires/gears do seem like a big deal after Leo explained it to me.

Having said that, if you going to do an icebox, well, a trunk one is overkill. The weight/rwhp/track time/money do not justify getting a trunk icebox IMO.

Two cents for a track noob

I think Jed and or Bill have got a C&L sitting around they'd like to get rid off. I'd give you mine but I'm still holding all my bolt-on's for Luis.
Thank you Leo You've been f*cking patient.
Old 1/8/09, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom281
That's about the gayest thing I've read in a while....... "here honey, you fasten your seatbelt and I'll turn down the radio so we can go fast".......

Drive your car the way you want to drive it, and do it everyday....... it will love you for it.
At least we're not driving Kia's

I noticed I too, turn the volume down... only to hear the exhaust and tires

I've done more runs with Leo's tires than I did with my own

Last edited by tom281; 1/8/09 at 03:59 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 01:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah butt, speaking of asses , for me the ice-box isn't gonna get me much of a lower ET. If anything it's consistency, that way it isn't the car that I can blame things on and it forces me to be better. I can be lazy and say the car is hot and that's why my time sucked right now "it's not me". With an ice-box I won't be able to be as lazy. Also it's a small peace-of-mind mod that I know when I go to the track and if I hot-lap like we like to do the car isn't getting hot air shoved down it's throat, affecting timing, potential detonation....etc.

Oh yeah, Adam admitted that the trunk one is overkill and only really for weight. The best weight saving I can do is take more outta me and leave the car alone.

Of gears. Talked about that too. 3.73s would help but like you said the driver mod will help more. I should be down in the 7.5s with my current setup not the 8.10s

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate your feedback, and everyone else too

Besides the next mod is a budget build. No tires nothing else. Build, build, build, build.

So Barona on the 24th ??

Last edited by habu; 1/8/09 at 01:28 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No... I need you guys to help me move on the 24th & 25th!
Old 1/8/09, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So Barona on the 24th ??
Maybe see below.

Originally Posted by Ray Man
No... I need you guys to help me move on the 24th & 25th!
Dam you Ray. Stop planning things that interfere with install parties and track days. I'll help but it's going to cost you alot of beer and pizza.
Old 1/8/09, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Technology is cool.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/08/c...ng-to-you-car/
Old 1/8/09, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
That's pretty cool
Old 1/8/09, 02:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dam you Ray. Stop planning things that interfere with install parties and track days. I'll help but it's going to cost you alot of beer and pizza.
Ok, you guys have fun on Saturday and then help me on Sunday?
Old 1/8/09, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Would gladly help you out Ray

Looks like Ray loves stirring the pot
Old 1/8/09, 02:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Ok, you guys have fun on Saturday and then help me on Sunday?
Here you go Ray... SS>

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 1/8/09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 1/8/09, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Here you go Ray...

Jed
It's probably cheaper to pay those guys than to buy beer and pizza for all of us.
Old 1/8/09, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

Old 1/8/09, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
$40? I know it's chump change, but we can hook it up for free.

I'll drive it around with the saleen set up for a while until I can decide what direction to go with the PJ.
What the heck does that mean?

I got that Racer from Doug. I know it's been over a year, but want me to see if I can get it replaced thru him?

My turn..
I kinda see it as a waste of $$ too. Like Leo mentioned, you have to get your ET down consistently through experience till it can't get any better. Then, you can seek to lower it further with gears, ice box, whatever.

Now, down the road when you get another DD and you retire the GT for pleasure and track duties, go all out like Mark, Don and others have done.

Maybe it's because I'm not a track guy, but I find it difficult to spend hundreds just to lower my ET by 1 or 2 tenths of a second... which truely is just fractions of a second.
But on the other side of the coin, I spend the same $200 on a differential cover that no one ever sees.
I guess we all have our madness.

Nope. Sold mine to George.

Jed has the Street intake.

Originally Posted by tom281
That's about the gayest thing I've read in a while.......

No... COOL is driving around in a 4-door sports car.

Yeah, my car sure loved me back allright.. right up the keester!

... and if I hot-lap like we like to do the car isn't getting hot air shoved down it's throat, affecting timing, potential detonation....etc.
Someone mention hot air being shoved down someone's throat?

... which is why you limit the timing to survive the highest IAT it'll encounter. Then anything cooler is just safe... err, safer.

Last edited by tom281; 1/8/09 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)