General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/07, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habu
Do you have to add the decal while it's wet or after it dries ??
After it dries is how I did it and probably the only way it should be done.

It adds a nice touch. It was easy to paint but the Duplicolor paint brush they provide is lame. Mine fell apart, good thing I had some stand by's in the house. Something to consider........
Old 7/13/07, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Hi guys, I'm back!

Took the redeye flight, so I pretty well spent.

Brian, good luck with the caliper painting later today. I believe Leo is heading up from SD for the weekend, so he may not log on until later tonight.
Oh using the ole Red Eye excuse.................................

No go pal, get to work and catch up here at TMS!

Good to have you back!

Oh and only $100/hr for Tire Roasting 101, not bad. DO I have to pay your air fare to Houston?
Old 7/13/07, 12:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philster2003
After it dries is how I did it and probably the only way it should be done.

It adds a nice touch. It was easy to paint but the Duplicolor paint brush they provide is lame. Mine fell apart, good thing I had some stand by's in the house. Something to consider........
Thanks for the info. I bought last weekend a couple better brushes on the cheap at Sears they should be much better ??

100/hr for Tire Roasing 101.. that's a bargin. But it's something I'm sure with some practice you can nail down quickly. Especially now that you have a Tune on that Stang.
Old 7/13/07, 12:26 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the info. I bought last weekend a couple better brushes on the cheap at Sears they should be much better ??

100/hr for Tire Roasing 101.. that's a bargin. But it's something I'm sure with some practice you can nail down quickly. Especially now that you have a Tune on that Stang.

Yes I think practice is needed for me. I think I need to learn that all I have to do is rev it to 4K and just drop the clutch. I think I may be feathering it a bit or not just releasing it as fast as I should.

Hey Brian I've been meaning to ask you since you painted and installed your cam covers has it stayed leak free? I like the ford blue, in the absence of having any $ I may have to paint mine, I can buy can spray paint without scrutiny
Old 7/13/07, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hi guys, I'm back!

Took the redeye flight, so I pretty well spent.

Brian, good luck with the caliper painting later today. I believe Leo is heading up from SD for the weekend, so he may not log on until later tonight.
Welcome back. I'm sure it's not as nice here as it was on the island. At least it's cheaper.

You'll be at the R&R on Wednesday, right ??

FYI... I was looking at driveshafts and I think it was Jeg's that had a steel driveshaft that is only 4lbs heavier than the aluminum one and is $521 not the 600+ or 700 bucks most of the aluminum driveshafts are. You're still cutting the stock weight in half, 22 for the steel and 18 for the Aluminum..

And on gears... 4.10s are too much for a blown manual... like how much too much ? Completely undrivable or get used to starting out in 2nd ?
Old 7/13/07, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Leo,
Any tips on caliper painting... I'm gonna do them tonight after work to minimize downtime.

I should, unlike the last couple of mods, be able to snap some pics of this.
I jacked up the car compelety and removed all four tires. I painted them in the morning and left the car on stands overnight. Give yourself plenty of time for prep. You'll be surprised how long it takes you to get all the dirt off.

I used the Duplicolor and it was easy. I went the conservative route painting them black but I've gotten some feedback back from several folks that red would be better so I think I'll redo them in red soon. Oh well shame on me for being conservative.

Don’t forget to add the Pony decal and Mustang name decals……………………….Finishes it nicely
Screw what anyone says. I went with black and I'm happy. It matches your car and doesn't show dirt like red will.

Do you have to add the decal while it's wet or after it dries ??
Are you serious?
Old 7/13/07, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I jacked up the car compelety and removed all four tires. I painted them in the morning and left the car on stands overnight. Give yourself plenty of time for prep. You'll be surprised how long it takes you to get all the dirt off.
Yes Leo your right, prep takes time and the actual painting takes time to ensure you don't get any paint whre you don't want it.

Screw what anyone says. I went with black and I'm happy. It matches your car and doesn't show dirt like red will.
Your funny Leo, I have think about this.

Are you serious?
Old 7/13/07, 02:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Are you serious?
He just wants a challenge geez.
Old 7/13/07, 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Duly noted.
Actually the stock calipers on mine don't really look that bad. After 9500 miles I would have thought they'd look much worse. My VW's sure did.
The red can't possibly be that bad and it'll look much better than black ever could

Are you serious?
Dunno, I'd have to see them but I'm thinking about it.
Old 7/13/07, 03:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I wasn't talking about whether or not the decals are a good idea. I was saying I can't believe you asked if you should put the decals on while the paint was still wet or not.
Old 7/13/07, 04:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Oh and only $100/hr for Tire Roasting 101, not bad. DO I have to pay your air fare to Houston?
Of course!

Like Brian said, just takes some practice. You see, Brian and I have been doing childish burnouts since we were 16, so we're pros!

You'll be at the R&R on Wednesday, right ??

FYI... I was looking at driveshafts and I think it was Jeg's that had a steel driveshaft that is only 4lbs heavier than the aluminum one and is $521 not the 600+ or 700 bucks most of the aluminum driveshafts are. You're still cutting the stock weight in half, 22 for the steel and 18 for the Aluminum..

And on gears... 4.10s are too much for a blown manual... like how much too much ? Completely undrivable or get used to starting out in 2nd ?
On R&R, I dunno... I didn't have the foresight a couple weeks back to reschedule Chris' guitar lessons, so I'm kinda committed to going next Wednesday. But, I may swing by. Another thing, my interior may be apart during the week so it may not be drivable.

I'm pretty sure Tillman was selling the Coast for under $600 shipped. One thing I'm certain on is getting a DS that uses the adapter plate. I DO NOT want to break that pinion nut to install a flange kit. My gears are quiet and perfect, I don't want to take any chances in messing that up.

On the 4.10's, Tom_281 is running the 4.10's with a SC, seems pretty happy with them. Somehow I highly doubt that they'll be completely undrivable... that's just silly. About the only thing I see is 1st winding out pretty quick if you're under boost.

... and doesn't show dirt like red will.
Ouch. I was thinking about red.
Old 7/13/07, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

FWIW, I copied Leo and with with black (painted the fronts only). Looks great IMO...it sort of "hides" the calipers.
Old 7/15/07, 12:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Actually the stock calipers on mine don't really look that bad. After 9500 miles I would have thought they'd look much worse. My VW's sure did.
When I rotated my tires I took a dremel with a wire brush wheel to the calipers.
It came out almost like new. I think I'll do it each time I rotate the tires.
I like the silver, it matches the wheels.
Old 7/15/07, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, TMS is back up!

What a Saturday! Leo and Kevin were giving me a hand in my major wiring mod today (Alpine/Raptor/rear cam/video bypass/voltmeter). It's still not done, but all that's left is connecting up all the wires to the switch plate and work out some kink in my video bypass. DVD plays audio, but no video.

I tell ya, trying to figure out how to wire all this stuff I put in is a nightmare! This will be the last of the electrical mods for me, I've just about had enough of it.
Old 7/15/07, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Yea, why was it down? i tohught i was banned lol
Old 7/15/07, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

Hey, TMS is back up!

What a Saturday! Leo and Kevin were giving me a hand in my major wiring mod today (Alpine/Raptor/rear cam/video bypass/voltmeter). It's still not done, but all that's left is connecting up all the wires to the switch plate and work out some kink in my video bypass. DVD plays audio, but no video.

I tell ya, trying to figure out how to wire all this stuff I put in is a nightmare! This will be the last of the electrical mods for me, I've just about had enough of it.
The 3 stooges......................... Did I say that

A few pics I'm sure will be forth coming?

And must have been a major server down with TMS or upgrade or.........
Old 7/15/07, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Don't listen to him, John. Tom's an O/R-H hater.
Yeah, shifters and O/R-h's!

And John, I'm also on the lookout for some replacement wheels, but it's hard to beat the looks of the polished Bullitts. If only Ford Racing made these Bullitts in a 9.5/10 inch..
It is at that. Now I just need to come up with some major scratch to get some wheels... Need to get a job on short notice that I can sell some Delta miles for $1000.

Looks like on my next trip to Houston I may be able to make a little extra cash. Come on Phil... my baby needs some new wheels!

Like Brian said, just takes some practice. You see, Brian and I have been doing childish burnouts since we were 16, so we're pros!

Childish? HEY... I resemble that remark!

The 3 stooges......................... Did I say that
Oh, oh... I see at least a or maybe a

Old 7/15/07, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey, TMS is back up!

Thank god. TMS being down all weekend would have made for a boring weekend...

yuck... I hate messing with electrical stuff. It'd have to be a good reason for me to take the step you're taking.

4.10s... tillmans 299 offer.... might be the next step. Didn't think about the pinion nut, that'd would change which one I'd buy.

BTW speaking of childish, immature, reckless, fun as all get out behaviour.... I've been thinking of a new tire shreading method. Strickly scientific of course. If it works we ought to go back to "the place" and video. I believe that it'd make for a heck of a vid.

Oh yeah. I have pics of the caliper painting. Before and after. There are a couple spots that could be better. If it were me I would have preferred to remove the calipers and had all day to do them. Instead I did them late Friday. Oh well. They aren't perfect but what is? I'll post pics AFTER I was my car it's D.I.R.T.Y. right now.
Old 7/15/07, 06:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here are pics. I didn't feel like taking the wheels off to get better pics today. I'll try to get better pics of the calipers themselves a little later on.

Old 7/15/07, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks good Brian.

My camcovers are painted and awaiting install on Wednesday. I'll try and get some pics up later today if not then sometime tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)