General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Please help with headlights! Hid or Led?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/14, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with headlights! Hid or Led?

I bought a 2008 gtcs a while back and it came with a hid kit installed.. It crapped out on me a while ago, I think one of the ballasts gave out.. It's bixenon so I have just been using my highbeams so I don't get pulled over lol... I don't know much about headlights I am wondering can I get your guys opinion.I have heard hid's are famous for giving trouble. Should I buy a new hid kit or should I buy some led headlights?.. Could someone point me out to a place that sell led headlight bulbs?.. And tell me what hid kits are the best quality? I would really appreciate it and hope to hear back soon. Thank you
Old 6/8/14, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by slayerkw
I bought a 2008 gtcs a while back and it came with a hid kit installed.. It crapped out on me a while ago, I think one of the ballasts gave out.. It's bixenon so I have just been using my highbeams so I don't get pulled over lol... I don't know much about headlights I am wondering can I get your guys opinion.I have heard hid's are famous for giving trouble. Should I buy a new hid kit or should I buy some led headlights?.. Could someone point me out to a place that sell led headlight bulbs?.. And tell me what hid kits are the best quality? I would really appreciate it and hope to hear back soon. Thank you
The LED bulbs are generally just for show and not as bright as even the halogen bulbs. There have been some advancements since they first hit the scene, so that may not be true anymore, but either way neither are really designed for the stock halogen housings. The 05-09s, however, do pretty well with HID kits, even if many on here will cry foul because you didn't use correct projector housings.

Bottom line:

A) If you want to do it right, get a set of retrofitted projector HIDs from HID Guy or Yuke's Retrofits

B) A new set of plug and play HIDs would be cheapest, and get the job done - I recommend the Opt7 brand from Amazon. I've had DDM in many of my cars and they are hit or miss with quality. Diode Dynamics on here could also set you up with a kit. Hit Nick up. He sells LEDs too...
Old 6/8/14, 04:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
If you don't already have projectors then yes, get those.

If you buy a good HID kit (and not some crap ebay kit) then they won't give you problems. People buy cheap kits, then wonder why they fail after a year...good HID kits cost money.
Old 6/8/14, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Worse, they buy just the bulb and ballast, and not the HID correct housing. And while that will sorta kinda work, it causes the opposing driver a lot of glare, due to the way the HID Capsule arc is made versus the filament's light.

I would swear they're not legal to do that way either, but what do I know, guess nobody's botherin' to inspect that. You'd think the city/county/state/or feds would want the extra cash or something.