General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

over the new england winter

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/12, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
over the new england winter

I bought my stang to enjoy for the rest of my life. Only way to make that happen in need England is to keep it away from road salt and the harsh winter elements. I've read what ford recommends to do. But your input would be helpful. A fried of mine told me to slightly overinflate the tires, disconnect the battery, and fill the tank using the correct mixture of fuel stabilizer. Wax it up, put in the garage, cover it up, give it a kiss and say see you next spring. What I'm worried about are the internal engine parts not getting oil. Let's here it from you pros. Thanks.
Old 8/13/12, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't you do all that and just take it for a spin every now and again on fair-weathered , albeit cold, winter days?
Old 8/13/12, 12:28 PM

Not if salt has been put down. Once on the road, it's there until road cleanups and a couple of good rain showers in the spring . It's not the cold temperatures that hurt the car, it's the road salt used. Just eats them up.

Last edited by rumblee1; 8/13/12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 8/13/12, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
road salt doesn't eat our cars up like in the old days.
Old 8/13/12, 01:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rumblee1
I bought my stang to enjoy for the rest of my life. Only way to make that happen in need England is to keep it away from road salt and the harsh winter elements. I've read what ford recommends to do. But your input would be helpful. A fried of mine told me to slightly overinflate the tires, disconnect the battery, and fill the tank using the correct mixture of fuel stabilizer. Wax it up, put in the garage, cover it up, give it a kiss and say see you next spring. What I'm worried about are the internal engine parts not getting oil. Let's here it from you pros. Thanks.
They don't use salt out west. The spread cinders. They also have a chemical drip on icy curves, but mostly cinders. And the snow gets deep here and either direction I go there's a 5k pass.

So I store Bullitt in the garage from Nov to late Apr every year. I pump the tires to 36, add stabil to the fuel, change the oil, and park it.

But I don't disconnect the battery. Every 4-6 weeks I fire it up, let it idle longer than I usually do, slowly drive in 1st out to the mailboxes on the highway (about a mile round trip). I keep it running until the fan comes on, then park it. This keeps the seals lubricated and charges the battery.

No issues following this method for 4 winters now.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/13/12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 8/14/12, 08:30 AM

Thanks cdynaco, sounds like a good idea. I'll only be backing it out of the garage and back in. That's what I'll do. But in the spring, do you let some of the air back out of the tires if they're still at 36#'s?

Last edited by rumblee1; 8/14/12 at 08:31 AM.
Old 8/14/12, 09:33 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rumblee1
Thanks cdynaco, sounds like a good idea. I'll only be backing it out of the garage and back in. That's what I'll do. But in the spring, do you let some of the air back out of the tires if they're still at 36#'s?
I take them back down to 32# (spec) when storage is over in late April. I have not noticed any flat spotting but driving to the mailbox helps too.

Also, if you do idle it and move it to lubricate seals etc, I have read a number of posts that its best to run the engine until the fan comes on to help prevent condensation.
Old 8/14/12, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a plastic tarp on the floor and park the car on it. It will keep the radiant moisture from rusting out the under carriage of your car. You won't believe how much moisture will get trapped under the tarp. I would put it on jack stands too.
Old 8/14/12, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lauren Renee get put away for the winter. I detail her, make sure the tire presures are correct, have the oil and filter changed (my repair shop uses Mobil 1 synthetic), fill the fuel tank, add fuel stabilizer and just park her in the paddock. Once a month I will start her, pull her out of the garage and bring her up to operating temperature. I engage the gears in the transmission (mine is an automatic) and it keeps the battery charged.

My garage is fully insulated and drywalled, and it has never gone below 40 degrees unless the doors are open for any length of time. I do have a natural gas line there in case I ever install a small heater unit.

I've been doing this since 2006 with no problems.

Last edited by DaGonz; 8/14/12 at 04:16 PM.