General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

oil level after storage

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/12, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil level after storage

My 05 GT only has about 17,000 miles on it as I only drive it on sunny days during the summer. I have not had time to drive it this summer unfortunately.

I start the car up every so often. I noticed that I might be down about half a quart of oil. Is this typical for my situation? I normally do one oil change a year but have not done one this year.
Old 9/1/12, 07:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
My 05 GT only has about 17,000 miles on it as I only drive it on sunny days during the summer. I have not had time to drive it this summer unfortunately.

I start the car up every so often. I noticed that I might be down about half a quart of oil. Is this typical for my situation? I normally do one oil change a year but have not done one this year.
to make sure your oil level check is good, i would take it out for a 20-30mile drive to warm up engine. If you are still low, either top it up or change it out for fresh stuff -- including the filter.

its possible to consume a bit of oil if the engine does not consistently reach operating temps and -- Ford is notorious for having low-tension oil control rings beginning with earlier Mustangs (nothing failed -- just designed that way)
Old 9/2/12, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
to make sure your oil level check is good, i would take it out for a 20-30mile drive to warm up engine. If you are still low, either top it up or change it out for fresh stuff -- including the filter.

its possible to consume a bit of oil if the engine does not consistently reach operating temps and -- Ford is notorious for having low-tension oil control rings beginning with earlier Mustangs (nothing failed -- just designed that way)
OK that is great to hear. I do not drive my car very often as it is basically cruiser/show car. I am going to be putting a permit on this week. Will check the oil after I drive it a bit.

Thanks
Old 9/2/12, 12:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer to check mine in the morning in the garage before I start. I get a consistent read that way.

The last thing you want to do is overfill and an OHC pumps a lot of oil up top to the heads plus VCT, & chain tensioners. So to read it right after you have driven, all the oil will not have drained back into the pan and your stick will show you are low - when you really aren't.