General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Not happy with new car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/17, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not happy with new car!!!!

So three weeks ago, I bought a '16 California Special from a dealer, with 5k miles on it. The car is Ruby Red, has American Racing exhaust and the Livernois CAI. While detailing the car on Wednesday night, I noticed what looked like clear coat on the window trim. I started looking deeper and found that both rear quarters were repainted, the trunk lid was replaced because it had a different date stamped into it than the manufacture date, and the back up camera hasn't been working.

I called the dealer I bought it from, two hours away from home, and they said to bring it back and they would make it right. So I drove there Saturday, spent hours working out the details and drove home in a 2017 California Special. Obviously, I paid more, since it was new, but I got a decent price. Unfortunately, it was raining, so I got to drive the car home in the rain instead of in the sun. It rode horribly and the brakes are glazed over and pulsate really bad. The car had 50 miles on it.

I can take the car to another local dealer for the brake and tire issue, but not so sure what to do about this next issue...So Sunday, I washed the car and was preparing to clay it when I saw large water spots all over the car. These water spots are the ones caused by the car being hosed down but not dried. I tried removing them with clay, no go. I tried using vinegar, no go, I tried using compound, no go. All of my compounds are light cut because none of my cars ever need heavy cut, but...

I'm not happy that I have now purchased two cars in the past 30 days and both have issues that I can't resolve myself. Will Ford warranty this as paint defect and I can get a professional to work these water spots? I can buy more product and go at it again, but should I? The entire car has these water spots, some large, some are regular sized. The entire hood, trunk and roof have the larger spots from the water just sitting. The paint appears to be etched!!

Any help or suggestion is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Not happy with new car!!!!-20170904_092205.jpg   Not happy with new car!!!!-desktop.jpg  

Last edited by scottmoyer; 9/4/17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 9/4/17, 07:52 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Man, that wicked sucks.
I don't think your issue is with Ford here. (I read a lot online and I haven't seen any paint issues like that coming from Ford.) I think that dealership that you went to twice already just really, really sucks and doesn't give a crap about their inventory.
I hope you get it all resolved. Those are really nice cars. Enjoy.
Old 9/4/17, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know the issue isn't a Ford issue per se, but I can't go back to this dealer again and have their weekend helper with a high speed buffer touch this car. I've seen so many paint finishes destroyed by the uneducated detailer at the dealer. I also don't want to drive 2 hours back to this dealer again just to have them say they are tired of working with me because I'm a picky person.

The first car had a repaint and it was a really good job. It took me three weeks to notice it was repainted and I do detailing on the side, so I usually notice these things. The dealer wanted to know why the repaint was an issue. They said they would replace the car if that's what "I" wanted. That makes them look good, but in all reality, nobody should buy a 5k mile car that's had damage without some disclosure. I was given a clean carfax, and told that the car was under full warranty, even with the CAI and exhaust. I will say that the dealer probably didn't know the car was repainted either, so I can't blame them for that, but they didn't understand why I had an issue with that.

I thought that buying a 5k mile car, I was still getting a new car in all of it's factory glory. Not a repainted car.
Old 9/4/17, 02:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Either way, it sucks.
Maybe just bite the bullet and have it professionally detailed and ceramic coated on your own dime and be done with it?
Good luck Scott!
Old 9/4/17, 03:35 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Either way, it sucks.
Maybe just bite the bullet and have it professionally detailed and ceramic coated on your own dime and be done with it?
Good luck Scott!
Old 9/5/17, 09:21 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Leaving water on the car from a hose and letting it sit in the hot sun is just simply wrong!! That is indeed one poor dealership. I wouldn't go back to them either to make it right. I would get the car professionally detailed and send the bill to them. If they don't pay, go right up the chain to the top Ford execs if necessary. Good luck with everything.
Old 9/6/17, 11:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I would call the dealer, and ask them to make the new car right. But, I agree you should not let them touch the car. You may be able to negotiate with them to let you take it a agreed upon detail shop in your area. Since you live a good distance from the dealer that may work. I wish you luck. BTW, the car is a beauty.