General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

New Guy questions hope you guys can help

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/19, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Guy questions hope you guys can help

I have a base model 2009 V6 Auto mustang that I have been "fixing up" the way I want it.

First I would like to know if you can change the original 4 gauge instruments to the 6 gauge set up. The parts are readily available but I'm told it would need to be programed by a dealer. So any information would be helpful.

Second my car has DRL's(Daytime Running Lights) and I want to put Halos on that light up instead of the headlights. Is there a plug and play set out there that don't need messing with the wiring?

So thanks for looking and hopefully helping an old man out!

Ron
Old 12/27/19, 06:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum.
Old 2/4/20, 08:42 PM

Okay I found the answer to the instrument cluster, it's easy, plug and play. I bought the instrument panel ( 6 gauge) on ebay. It has 30k more miles than my original but thats okay for now. I also bought the control panel there as well. While I had the "new" unit out I installed a white panel face and today decided to tackle the install. You can go to youtube to see how to take the gauges out. The control panel connector is plugged into the blank panel the instrument connector is the same for both units so you take one out and plug in the new one. The owners manual tells you how to set things up and there you go.

So in short you CAN go from a four gauge instrument panel to a six gauge panel and get so much more information on your mustang...
Old 2/5/20, 05:31 PM
GT Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey Shultz,

Glad you were able to figure this out and acquire the parts you need to make it work. I literally just completed the opposite and went from 6 gauge to 4 gauge a few weeks ago. I used to have a ROUSH and the their gauges use an EL panel for lighting. Something about these I prefer over the MyColor.

If you are interested in getting the mileage correct I advice you look at ICS. https://www.instrumentclusterstore.com/

I had them correct the mileage on my Roush set and their service is top notch.

Curious,

Which White panel did you go with? I swapped out with the Simco set and really liked the way it looked. Just couldn't get around the low lighting the over all gauge produced.

Anyhow,

Cheers

Nemi
Old 2/5/20, 09:00 PM

https://www.carid.com/2009-ford-must...-42591302.html This is the gauge face I went with and am really happy with. During the day the numbers are white but at night with the lights on they are red (color I chose). The best feature is I can see the gauges during the day, before it was like looking through a dark tube..
Old 2/6/20, 05:13 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
I've changed my DRL to halos.
Had to bypass the system and wire in 2 relay switches for it to work.
I dont know of a kit that is out there.

These is what I did.

My custom lights I did myself last year.