General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Need advice to value custom Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/21, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice to value custom Mustang

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice on the best way to value my Mustang. My father built a 2007 GT and has passed it on for me to sell.

2007 GT under 9000 miles/ less than 1000 miles on the engine
Bored to full 5.0...stroker... runs on E85
Kenny Bell twin screw supercharger w/ ice box
shift kit
custom suspension/ wheels and tires
full roll cage/ racing belts
over 30k invested
current tune is 650hp but can be tuned for nearly 800hp
vehicle is in LA but is not able to meet CA emissions... unless slightly detuned
too many options to list

Can anyone recommend a good speed shop in LA or an expert who can help me place a value on this awesome car?

Never driven hard enough to see its full capability

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 9/25/21, 03:04 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,763 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not from LA to recommend a good speed shop. Meanwhile, welcome aboard and hopefully somebody can chime in to provide some options for you?
Old 9/26/21, 07:07 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
I can not assist you either with any shops but the general rule of thumb is that heavily modified cars appeal to a select few, and usually you never get the money back that has been invested. You build these heavily modified cars for yourself knowing full well that you are unlikely to get your $$$ back at selling time. Many buyers fear abuse of these type cars whether real or imagined. They don't want to pay top dollar and then have to sink more into it.
If you are definitely selling it I always recommend selling at a price that is on the higher side to allow for negotiations. It can't be too high or no one will contact you. If no bites at your price, then lower the price slowly until you get those serious contacts. Good luck!
Old 9/26/21, 07:06 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,139 Likes on 818 Posts
Welcome to TMS, I too will not be able to help you much on a value, but what has already been said is sad, but true for heavily modified cars. I would check for low mileage cars in similar years It will not be worth as much as a factory powerhouse like a Shelby. But supercharged cars have higher value than naturally aspirated, if running properly. It will be of great value to someone who wants many of the modifications, but the majority of buyers will be Leary of a modified car. Make sure you can provide as much documentation as possible to show quality of the additions and workmanship. Best of luck on your sale.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (9/27/21)
Old 9/26/21, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
first welcome, as the others have stated before me it's not going to hold its value to a place like a dealer obviously, but if you advertise it properly not just in the LA area but try to broaden your advertising. There is someone out there that might be looking for exactly what you got. As said before it is usually modified for the person who modified it. It might not get sold quick but the right person will come along eventually just stay patient. Sorry for the no help.
NC14GT (9/27/21)
Old 9/27/21, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
What all them up there said. Basically, it's just a Mustang GT. If you put it back stock, it'd be about the right value. Take the parts you took off and sell those on eekBabe and make the 'profit/markup' value there maybe, but don't count on it.

You can also look into an 'stated value' or 'agreed/guaranteed value' insurance situation, which should take into account what would be needed to recreate your current car's situation, as regular ol' comprehensive is going to value it at what it actually is: A stock Mustang GT. All the added stuff is NOT included in the car's value for regular insurance. So you get that stated/agreed/guaranteed value insurance, and that's going to be the value you can potentially ask for... if someone is just jonesing to have exactly that setup anyway. Also, there's no guarantees that kind of insurance will make a decent valuation of the car, but it's something to check into anyway.

Not a sponsor, not a suggestion, just an explanation and/or example of what I'm talking about: https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/in...aranteed-value

Hope that helps, and good luck! Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by houtex; 9/27/21 at 07:49 PM.
Jaryd21 (10/1/21)
Old 10/1/21, 05:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
or maybe just pick a number that would make you happy, and post it for sale on a bunch of Mustang enthusiast boards like this one, and see if anyone bites?

or, take it to the local car shows or cruises, put a for sale sign on it, and see if anyone is interested

the worst thing that can happen, is you get no response . . . and that would tell you that the price is too high
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
houtex (10/1/21), Jaryd21 (10/1/21)
Old 10/1/21, 07:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Simple. I dig that solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
Bert (10/1/21), Jaryd21 (10/1/21)
Old 10/1/21, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts