General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Mustang Tops Reader List of Favorite Convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/04, 01:52 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
<center>Mustang Tops Reader List of Favorite Convertibles
By Ron Amadon, CBS.MarketWatch.com</center>
DARNESTOWN, MD (CBS MW) - Fire up the grill and run up the flag -- the Fourth of July is here! And that most All-American of cars, the Ford Mustang, has emerged as the clear winner in our month-long poll of readers' favorite convertible.

In an informal survey, we asked readers to name their all-time favorite "drop-top." They mentioned more than 70 different models, from the mostly forgotten Hillman Minx of the 60's to the more contemporary '04 Toyota Solara.

Various model years of the Mustang easily topped the list, with 25 percent more votes than the second-place Mazda Miata. Add in ballots for the Shelby GT350 and the GT500 of years ago, and Ford's margin of victory was even stronger.

One reader told us of his '99 Mustang GT rag top, noting its looks, speed, and enough "animal magnetism to make any man want to own one." He noted that a "25-year-old beauty queen jumped over the door and into the passenger seat at a stop light."

The Miata came in just one vote ahead of the Corvette. The just-on-the-market PT Cruiser was fourth, tied with its relative, the Chrysler Sebring.

Readers felt passionately about their rag-tops. One wrote that "if you want to become the car" the car to own was a '58 MGA. Wrote another: "My favorite convertible... was the first car I ever owned...a 1969 Mercury Cougar with the 351 V-8. It turned out to be a rust bucket, but man, that car was a hot rod."

Breaking down the vote count by maker, rather than model, Chrysler was at the top of the list, followed by Chevy, Ford, BMW and Mazda.

And there were some classics! The Karman Ghia, Austin Healy 3000, the '57 Chevy, Triumph TR6, and the little '69 MG Midget all were mentioned. Not to mention the favorite of one reader, the 1957 Desoto Adventurer.

"The car was so symmetrical, and those long flowing fins, wow!" wrote its admirer, making us wonder if Detroit stylists might be missing a new retro trend here.

Our favorite e-mail came from Helen Wallick, who wanted us to know that she has a 1927 Model T Touring car, plus a 1967 Ford convertible, "and if I am still alive in 2007, and Ford still makes a convertible, I'm going to buy one of them" (to keep the 40 year streak going). She asked, "Can you imagine a 75 year old woman going in and buying a new convertible?" We replied in just three words, "GO FOR IT!"
Old 7/6/04, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ragtops rule!
Old 7/8/04, 08:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So very true ^_^
Old 7/9/04, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insurance on a vert would have killed me, and if you plan on drag racing they are picky about roll cages. nothing beats cruising with the top down on a nice day though.