General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Manual tranny tips

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/15, 07:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual tranny tips

So I've owned manual tranny's before but never on a sports car and thus lack the experience/strategy for proper shifting techniques. I taught myself how to drive stick and as a result had a few bad habits. For instance I didnt even know what the powerband was, I just knew all my automatics shifted around 2600rpm so I'd speed shift through all the gears no matter how hard I was accelerating trying to keep it under 3k rpm at all times I didnt even know you are supposed to downshift to lane pass. I'd just mash the pedal and wait for the car to build speed in whatever gear I was in. It wasnt until I saw youtube videos of people hitting 6k rpm's that I realized you shift depending upon the circumstances, not just the speed.

A buddy of mine was talking to me about how he loves downshifting to 2nd in his mustang around a turn, another eye opener to me when it comes to how you are *meant* to drive the car. Or canyon carving videos where people ride it out in 3rd most of the way and like 4-5k rpms the whole time.

I just read about most people with 3.73 gears start in 2nd gear when daily driving just to save some legwork from 1st since the car can take off like this without issue. I imagine you could probably skip 3rd too if you're just cruising up to normal speeds.

So all that being said, anyone have any particular tips for comfort/sport shifting patterns in a 2015 GT with performance package? I know it's mostly a "feel" sort of thing.

Last edited by RunNgun; 1/13/15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 1/13/15, 12:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
These new 5.0's have a lot of torque. Starting in second is very easy, and yes you can probably pass third if you have enough rpm's. To me it's more about how engine sounds than the feel when rowing through the gears. Practice, practice, practice, and you'll get there. Watch your tach, and listen to the engine. In time you will just know when to change. Staying under the tach redline is where you want to be so your engine will be happy, happy, happy.

BTW, you do not want to drop into second gear when your speed is to high. That's a good way to break something.
Old 1/13/15, 01:56 PM
V6 Member

How do you feel about engine braking in the 5.0? Good way to save gas or just asking for trouble? Especially at the drag strip, I dont want to go flying off into the woods once I cross the line, should I just eat my brakes up and deal with it? Or can dropping to 3rd and then 2nd have a meaningful slowdown?
Old 1/13/15, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
changing brakes is less expensive than changing the trans. In race situations I would down shifty and use the brakes. For normal street driving I just pop it in N and use the brakes
Old 1/13/15, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
changing brakes is less expensive than changing the trans. In race situations I would down shifty and use the brakes. For normal street driving I just pop it in N and use the brakes
This is true, and brakes are cheaper than a clutch, but I hate brake dust from the Brembos, and I love hearing the exhaust burble and pop as it decelerates, so screw my stock clutch!
Old 1/13/15, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
This is true, and brakes are cheaper than a clutch, but I hate brake dust from the Brembos, and I love hearing the exhaust burble and pop as it decelerates, so screw my stock clutch!
This

Old 1/13/15, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RunNgun
So I've owned manual tranny's before but never on a sports car and thus lack the experience/strategy for proper shifting techniques. I taught myself how to drive stick and as a result had a few bad habits. For instance I didnt even know what the powerband was, I just knew all my automatics shifted around 2600rpm so I'd speed shift through all the gears no matter how hard I was accelerating trying to keep it under 3k rpm at all times I didnt even know you are supposed to downshift to lane pass. I'd just mash the pedal and wait for the car to build speed in whatever gear I was in. It wasnt until I saw youtube videos of people hitting 6k rpm's that I realized you shift depending upon the circumstances, not just the speed.

A buddy of mine was talking to me about how he loves downshifting to 2nd in his mustang around a turn, another eye opener to me when it comes to how you are *meant* to drive the car. Or canyon carving videos where people ride it out in 3rd most of the way and like 4-5k rpms the whole time.

I just read about most people with 3.73 gears start in 2nd gear when daily driving just to save some legwork from 1st since the car can take off like this without issue. I imagine you could probably skip 3rd too if you're just cruising up to normal speeds.

So all that being said, anyone have any particular tips for comfort/sport shifting patterns in a 2015 GT with performance package? I know it's mostly a "feel" sort of thing.
Maybe you could nab someone who is well experienced and take them out with you a couple of times? Probably would never hurt. And as far as engine braking......it's a good thing, provided you know what you are doing/why you are doing it. Lugging your engine is way worse in my book than over exercising it, lol. Since I also ride a motorcycle, can't tell you how many people LUG their engines when going through the gears - they hit 5th by 45 or 50 mph, 6th (if they have one) by 60. My Goldwing never gets put to 5th gear til I'm at 70 mph or above. Sometimes, it doesn't get out of 2nd or 3rd before then, like today

Last edited by TheTaminator; 1/13/15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 1/13/15, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Clutches are made for replacing.....it's just another part, right? LOL
Old 1/13/15, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RunNgun

This will be your friend. Most people enter corners in too high of a gear (again.....motorcycle/car....doesn't matter). You can really wind it out and save a ton of your brakes by staying in a lower gear when cornering...depends on what kind of roads you are on. Here in CA, there's lots of tight windy mountain roads. My motorcycle never leaves 2nd gear because 3rd can put you into the corner a bit too fast, and 2nd will do for accelerating out just fine - don't be afraid to wind your baby UP!
Old 1/13/15, 11:49 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My mustang is automatic, but I had 2 other manual cars that I had put over 70,000 and 110,000 miles on their respective original clutches. What previous posters are saying about brakes being cheaper than clutches is absolutely right.

Sure it sounds cool downshifting into 2nd and powering through a curve, but make it only an occasional thing and use your brakes as a general rule. Smoothness is the key to any car's longevity, and the even wear of its parts.

Did I ever ignore that? Yes, absolutely - a car needs an "Italian tune-up" every now and then, as my dad would call it.

Another quote from a VW repair book I have... "Be kind to your ***, for it bares you".
Old 1/14/15, 04:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I used to engine-brake with my Jeep but I won't with my Shelby as the stress on the transmission is avoidable and brakes are much less expensive to replace/repair. It's really that simple. Transmissions are built to drive, not be driven. Keep that in mind.