General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Lug Nut key?

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/18, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug Nut key?

Does anyone know where to get a key replacement for this lug not lock for my mustang?
Old 10/14/18, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This lock right here
Old 10/14/18, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You don't.

You go get a throwaway socket. 12 points, not 6 sided. I can't tell you which size, but you'll have to make it smaller than the keyed lug. Just. You'll see why in a second. You might want a throwaway set of 'em so you can pick and choose. You can also use a current socket to check the size you'll need, and then go get the throwaway. You choice. Make it for a 1/2" socket, and then get a breaker bar, or you can use a socket wrench with a cheater pipe or something to increase your leverage.

You also go get a brass hammer. They're good to have. Or another heavy enough hammer. Something that'll have some gravitas to it.

You'll also want to get a punch that'll go through the socket. Just big enough to go through the square hole. You'll see why in a second.

You'll also want to get some sort of stand or possibly a vise to hold the socket. You'll see why in a... second...

And finally, you'll want a set of 4 lug nuts. Either normal or keyed, your choice. You'll see wh... right.

---

Ok, with all that gathered, here's what you do:

Hammer the socket onto the keyed lug nut. Hammer it good. You are tossing the now-useless keyed lug nut. Pretty doesn't matter now.

With the socket securely hammered on, get your breaker bar/socket wrench with cheater pipe. And/or an extension.

Remove lug nut as normal. Easy. If it doesn't come off, if the socket spins off, get a slightly smaller socket, or hammer it on more.

"Now what?" I hear you say with the now removed lug nut but stuck in the socket. That's where the stand or vise comes in. Get the socket to where you can secure it, and be able to hammer in the punch to punch out the lug nut.. and hammer out the lug nut!

Tada, lug nut removed. Repeat for all others needed. Replace them with the new lug nuts.

You can source a set of lug nuts dang near anywhere, but keyed lug nuts you need to buy *good* ones, not those knockoffs on the shelves. McGuard or Gorillas. Don't skimp, if you're gonna bother. I tried. I quickly wound up replacing them when the key destroyed the brand new knock off lug nut.

So there ya go. Probably not the answer you wanted, but honestly the answer you need. Hope that helps, good luck, and welcome to the forums!

Edit: A video to show ya what I mean:

Last edited by houtex; 10/14/18 at 06:48 PM.