General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Help diagnosing transmission whine

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/21 | 05:00 PM

Help diagnosing transmission whine

I changed the transmission fluid and filter. Now the car will sometimes fall out of gear when sitting at a stop light. It also makes a whine. I attached a video. The whine is only under heavy acceleration no matter what the speed of the vehicle. Ideas of what the problem could be?

https://youtu.be/kc5-y20ij5o
Old 11/21/21 | 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

One possible: You have either put in the wrong fluid, or you have not put in the correct amount of fluid. Also, depending on how you did it, the old fluid is still in the torque converter, and may or may not be contributing to the problem.

Another possible: The transmission was serviced incorrectly in some way. What I do not know.

Another possible: The transmission magically decided that it would coincidentally break in this way and your timing is just magical. This DOES happen, but usually because the ministrations on doing maintenance inadvertently accelerates the issue for whatever reason, and the transmission was going to do this regardless of your maintenance.

So Yeah. Lotta maybes.

Now I need to mention this: The video seems to indicate it's an automatic, and an '05-09 model year, which means ostensibly a 5r55s transmission, but I honestly can not know this for sure. You need to specify your car's specs to help us better attempt to help you. But if my deductions have been made correctly there, the 5r55s has other issues with solenoid packs and solenoids not being happy.

You may or may not want to get a scan tool that can read the transmission control pack, and/or take it to a mechanic what has the ability to play with these transmissions, and/or take it to a transmission shop that has the ability to play with these transmissions. These things can wind up being a real fun time otherwise.

You might also want to go look to FordTechMakuLoco on the ThemHose. Here's a link that searches his channel for all things 5r55X, where 'X' is different letters like R or S or whatever, but same base issues, same overall transmissions.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FordTechMa...rch?query=5r55

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 11/21/21 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11/24/21 | 10:53 AM

SOLUTION

Originally Posted by Dillanm
I changed the transmission fluid and filter. Now the car will sometimes fall out of gear when sitting at a stop light. It also makes a whine. I attached a video. The whine is only under heavy acceleration no matter what the speed of the vehicle. Ideas of what the problem could be?

https://youtu.be/kc5-y20ij5o
The problem was a faulty o ring on the new filter which would not let it seat properly. I put on the old o ring onto the new filter and every problem is fixed.
Old 11/24/21 | 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So option 2 and 3 above combined: Magically decided to 'break' because you messed with it.

I'm just playin. End result is the thing. Glad it's sorted for ya! Although I'd maybe have gone to get a another o-ring than use the old one, but that's just me. You do you, as long as it works, right? Right!