General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Fix or New?

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/14, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix or New?

I have a 2012 GT that I have started to see some issues with. I have a clunking in the back end on small bumps. Also a scraping sound started a few weeks back. I opened up the back end and a bunch of metal flakes in the rear end. I swapped out the oil but, still have a scraping sound. So I am thinking of buying a new car. Financially that seems like a bad idea. Should I just replace/repair the back end or get a 2015 GT?
Old 12/11/14, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Clunking is likely the control arms back there. Rubber's shot. Replacing them with better ones is a great idea, and will help with the traction on take off. I suggest the BMR Polyurethane-at-both-ends rear control arms, myself, but others will say the Steedas or others. Any of them are better than the original stockers, and should be done right away.

The scraping could also be that, but... the metal shavings... maybe, sad to say, that punkin' is chunked. Time to rebuild it.

I want to say there was an issue with the 2012 and the rear gears, re: lash, so you might want to check the TSBs on that. Ford may owe ya a rebuild.

Now, as far as swapping it out for the 15? Well, you're gonna take a hit because of the issues you're seeing, so.. that's not helping.

And it'll be cheaper overall to rebuild the rear gears (maybe upgrade to different ratio if you wanted?) than to buy a new car over that issue.

The control arm is sort of a wear item. You can swap out for more OEMs, but really, it's a simple swap, and the upgrade would be worth it, IMO.

So it's down to... do you want to deal with that, and keep your car, or take the double hit (both the trade in, and the lower value for the repair needed) and get the '15 because you want it more?

Only you can decide that. I think you know which direction I'm leaning towards, but it's not my decision, is it?

At the very least, you should have a mechanic take a look at it to properly diagnose it. From afar, I've got it totally nailed... but I don't really.

I hope that helps in some way. Good luck to ya!

Last edited by houtex; 12/11/14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12/12/14, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. I really want the 15 but my practical side (wife) is nudging me the other way. Decisions suck!