General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Extended warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/15 | 10:20 PM
V6 Member

Extended warranty ?

Hi all. I had a weak moment when I purchased my 2014 GT. I took the optional 7 year extended warranty ( I know ). It is supposed to cover anything and everything under the sun but I was wondering if people have had experience with trying to get work done after the factory has expired. I know that I still have 3 years but I am worried that I tossed possible mod money down the drain. Thanks
Old 1/12/15 | 12:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Racered14
Hi all. I had a weak moment when I purchased my 2014 GT. I took the optional 7 year extended warranty ( I know ). It is supposed to cover anything and everything under the sun but I was wondering if people have had experience with trying to get work done after the factory has expired. I know that I still have 3 years but I am worried that I tossed possible mod money down the drain. Thanks
I have used the extended warranty on other Ford vehicles it works well and good to have for a major repair. Better to pay a $50.00 deductible for a repair than $1000.00. I bought the extended warranty for my '05. Never had to use it but was glad I had it just in case.

P.S. Can I send you some Kelowna snow?
Old 1/12/15 | 06:22 AM
V6 Member

Lol. We just moved from West Kelowna last year and the pics I get of that snowmageddon you had were unreal. The people that were shaking their heads and telling me to take a wetsuit are asking to visit for the weekend now.
Old 1/12/15 | 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know that you had a "weak" moment. Extended warranties (factory) will always feel like you wasted money, until something happens.

Case in point - my husband's Honda Goldwing, which are notoriously reliable motorcycles has had 3 warranty issues, 2 of which were significant. His extended warranty (in 2008) was $499 (steal!), and he had to have a new starter switch assembly, then his navigation screen went out....that part alone was $1400, not including labor. And then...this last June @ 130,000 miles on the bike and 2 months ahead of his warranty expiring, the alternator threw a bearing which toasted the whole engine. He just got his bike back after a freshly rebuilt engine was put together for it (4 pages of parts) and it cost us nothing. I don't even want to *know* what the parts/labor bill was for that! Bike runs like a champ now.

So, save up for your mods, and drive in peace. One thing could go wrong with your car that will equal the cost of the warranty, pretty easily. We just paid for our extended warranty from Mother Ford without qualms after the Honda motorcycle episode!
Old 1/12/15 | 09:42 PM
V6 Member

Thanks guys, it is appreciated. My only concern was that the extended part was not through ford itself but a third party "associated" with them. ( still through the dealer tho). After reading the whole contract if I don't use it by the end of the term they refund 80% of it (if I send a letter to them in a specific timeframe) so it seems like a win-win. Had to start thinking of it recently since it is getting finicky to shift until the trans warms up, and after reading a bunch of the complaints on here I am having heart palpitations about it now.
Old 1/13/15 | 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys, it is appreciated. My only concern was that the extended part was not through ford itself but a third party "associated" with them. ( still through the dealer tho). After reading the whole contract if I don't use it by the end of the term they refund 80% of it (if I send a letter to them in a specific timeframe) so it seems like a win-win. Had to start thinking of it recently since it is getting finicky to shift until the trans warms up, and after reading a bunch of the complaints on here I am having heart palpitations about it now.

Third party warranty's aren't as good as getting one through Ford itself. But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't take care of you. I purchased a platinum extended warranty through Ford for 6 years 75,000 miles bumper to bumper. I feel that at least it will cover the vehicle through the loan period. Also, there's no deductible, they give you a loaner car, and it's backed by Ford. I would keep the warranty if I where you, just in case.
Old 1/13/15 | 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I recommend you cancel the third party warranty and get a refund. Then purchase a REAL FORD ESP from an online dealer and save a ton of money and sleep better at night. Unfortunately if you financed the extended warranty then they will send a check to finance company and pay down your principle so you can't use the refund to buy the Ford Warranty.

Last edited by dmhines; 1/13/15 at 10:49 AM.
Old 1/13/15 | 12:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
I recommend you cancel the third party warranty and get a refund. Then purchase a REAL FORD ESP from an online dealer and save a ton of money and sleep better at night. Unfortunately if you financed the extended warranty then they will send a check to finance company and pay down your principle so you can't use the refund to buy the Ford Warranty.
I agree. Cancel that puppy, get a refund, and check online at Flood Ford warranties. They sell the same genuine Ford extended warranty your dealer should have sold you at a much better price. Ex. I bought a 7/75 premium care from Flood online for $1110 saving $610 dollars over my dealers quoted price.

BTW, there are other Ford dealers that also sell online at better prices.
Old 1/13/15 | 01:50 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info, going to check it out.
Old 1/16/15 | 09:51 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Thanks for the info, going to check it out.
If you haven’t already, you can check our different coverages here, Racered14. Be sure to speak with your sales or finance manager, or contact ESP Sales at 1-800-367-3377 for more information.

Deysha