General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Do average Joes on the road wanna "drag" u??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/14, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Running 100-120(?) on the roads just to "prove your point"? You're right, OP. You do come off like an ignoramus. Your misplaced sense of machismo may wind up getting you killed; hopefully you won't take any innocent drivers/pedestrians with you.

Welcome to TMS. This is not a pro-street racing forum, even under the guise of defending one's honor.

This^
Old 9/3/14, 05:08 PM

I didn't think about it until after I posted and you mentioned "something about Mustangs" in your post...

One of the things that turned me onto the Mustang of the "three main, domestic muscle car manufacturers" (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) was that I do I lot of traveling and so I've rented all three. So I was able to "compare" and obviously landed on the Mustang (for a large number of reasons.) But all three car types elicited completely unprovoked, sometimes reckless responses from people on the road. Since I had never really driven a muscle car previously, the difference was very noticeable.

To answer your question on the governor, I can only assume the re-tune is what removed the restriction.

This is a whole new world to me -- owning a car that is so easily modifiable and customizable. That part alone is a bit of a thrill. So I'd be very interested in hearing more on the drive shaft thing, aside from the fact I don't really intend/need to be driving at those speeds even for short bursts -- in the case described, I looked down and was surprised the gauge was reading 120mph. You get caught doing 100+ and you can have your car impounded and be spending a night in jail. (I realize that's not a news flash to most of you, but I never had to worry about it before.) So I need to calm the jets a little, even when someone tweaks me.

But I'd still like to know information on this.
Old 9/3/14, 05:12 PM

I'm not getting anywhere near 31mph, even with a CAI and a re-tune that is designed for fuel economy (supposedly).
Old 9/3/14, 05:16 PM

I actually get this reaction as well. My Mustang is jet black so a fair number of people assume I am unmarked. I've had people pull out of the passing lane as I come up behind them. So I get this reaction as well.
Old 9/3/14, 05:17 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I got pissed today because I was trying to turn right onto a 4 lane road and the car coming towards me was slowing down and turned right but never used his blinker. Wtf people. I hope he saw me cursing his *** out through my driver window. I ****ing hate people that don't use signals. They should be dragged from their cars and shot. Would save the world a lot of trouble. ****ing low life's.
Old 9/3/14, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Running 100-120(?) on the roads just to "prove your point"? You're right, OP. You do come off like an ignoramus. Your misplaced sense of machismo may wind up getting you killed; hopefully you won't take any innocent drivers/pedestrians with you.

Welcome to TMS. This is not a pro-street racing forum, even under the guise of defending one's honor.
I thought I might get at least one response like this. Maybe I am? I think maybe I'm starting to snap a little -- I just want to be left alone. One day I came home and told the wife I was actually thinking of getting rid of the Mustang b/c of reactions I'm getting on the road. Seriously I am not racing this thing around. I drive normally. I can do a few things others can't but it's not pushing the car at all -- 60mph around a bend everyone else has to take at 35-40mph, etc. So far, most of the reactions come during normal passing and I'm not tailgating anyone.

As for 100-120 to "prove a point" -- I was surprised at the 120mph. It just "did it." And it was more to just put distance between me and him -- yeah, "kind of" a "point" but mainly just "leave me alone." After he caught up with me again, I just ignored him even though he continued acting like a complete idiot, honking, etc.

Hey, your opinion... I asked. :-)
Old 9/3/14, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by eriks
I didn't think about it until after I posted and you mentioned "something about Mustangs" in your post...

One of the things that turned me onto the Mustang of the "three main, domestic muscle car manufacturers" (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) was that I do I lot of traveling and so I've rented all three. So I was able to "compare" and obviously landed on the Mustang (for a large number of reasons.) But all three car types elicited completely unprovoked, sometimes reckless responses from people on the road. Since I had never really driven a muscle car previously, the difference was very noticeable.

To answer your question on the governor, I can only assume the re-tune is what removed the restriction.

This is a whole new world to me -- owning a car that is so easily modifiable and customizable. That part alone is a bit of a thrill. So I'd be very interested in hearing more on the drive shaft thing, aside from the fact I don't really intend/need to be driving at those speeds even for short bursts -- in the case described, I looked down and was surprised the gauge was reading 120mph. You get caught doing 100+ and you can have your car impounded and be spending a night in jail. (I realize that's not a news flash to most of you, but I never had to worry about it before.) So I need to calm the jets a little, even when someone tweaks me.

But I'd still like to know information on this.
I got enough other responses to understand what the drive shaft and tire ratings may do to cause a stock restriction. Good to know. Next time I'll just blow the guy away at 112mph.

Just kidding.

I think I've got the hang of the whole quoting bit.
Old 9/3/14, 05:40 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
So far I've discovered that Challengers, Hemi Chargers, Camaros, and other Mustangs tend to show respect and not feel the urge to measure dicks. On the other hand, BMWs and drivers of tuner Subarus, Hondas, and Mitsubishis all seem to have way more testosterone than grey matter.

I had my GT 'vert less than two weeks when one day I took my cousin for a brisk top down drive on Rt 80. I was tooling along around 75 mph in the middle lane when I looked in my mirror and saw a new red Camaro behind me and gaining ground fast. My immediate thought was that he was trying to catch up to me for some play time. No way was I taking the bait so I kept my speed. Turns out he wanted to pull alongside me to give me a thumbs up...I did the same and then he sped off. That was pretty cool.
Old 9/3/14, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
On the main freeways we have a ton of asshats who still don't get it "keep right except to pass".
I've just given up on this. The entire concept of the passing lane is completely lost on most drivers. It's absolutely epidemic. This often has nothing to do with the Mustang. It's everywhere.

And, from what I can tell, there are some who are just completely oblivious, but a fair number of these drivers are related to the kinds of "challengers" who prompted my original post -- they KNOW they are on the passing lane, could care less and often get upset easily. Most of them may as well get a big middle finger salute from Fathead and paste it to their cars. Truly amazing.

These are usually the types who suddenly speed up or decide they aren't going to let me or others pass. (I've seen it done to others as well.)
Old 9/3/14, 06:31 PM
Banned

I've just given up on this. The entire concept of the passing lane is completely lost on most drivers. It's absolutely epidemic. This often has nothing to do with the Mustang. It's everywhere.

And, from what I can tell, there are some who are just completely oblivious, but a fair number of these drivers are related to the kinds of "challengers" who prompted my original post -- they KNOW they are on the passing lane, could care less and often get upset easily. Most of them may as well get a big middle finger salute from Fathead and paste it to their cars. Truly amazing.

These are usually the types who suddenly speed up or decide they aren't going to let me or others pass. (I've seen it done to others as well.)
The truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as the "passing lane" as most people understand it. The so called passing lane is not there for you to speed. Take for instance a road where the posted speed limit is 55 mph. If a driver wants to drive slower than 55 mph that driver should stay in the right lane so others can pass at the posted speed limit. However, if someone is in the left lane and doing 55 mph you are the one who is in the wrong if you want to pass that person. Too bad if you think the posted speed limit isn't fast enough. I could see the argument if you have someone in the left lane who is doing 40 mph on a posted 55 mph road. That person is absolutely wrong and should move to the right and let you pass. But if they are doing 55 mph in the left lane of a 55 mph road you can just cry about it all you want, they aren't doing anything wrong.

I drive a 55 mph two lane divided highway ever day to and from work. It is rare that I encounter someone in the left lane who is driving below the speed limit. For the most part the slow drivers tend to keep right. What is not uncommon is to see someone who just can't bring themselves to drive the speed limit and they zig zag through traffic and then get all upset when they can't get around a couple of cars that are both doing the speed limit. Heck for that matter, almost everyone is about 5 to 10 mph above the limit for the most part and for some that's still not enough.

Last edited by White2010; 9/3/14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 9/3/14, 06:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
The truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as the "passing lane" as most people understand it. The so called passing lane is not there for you to speed. Take for instance a road where the posted speed limit is 55 mph. If a driver wants to drive slower than 55 mph that driver should stay in the right lane so others can pass at the posted speed limit. However, if someone is in the left lane and doing 55 mph you are the one who is in the wrong if you want to pass that person. Too bad if you think the posted speed limit isn't fast enough. I could see the argument if you have someone in the left lane who is doing 40 mph on a posted 55 mph road. That person is absolutely wrong and should move to the right and let you pass. But if they are doing 55 mph in the left lane of a 55 mph road you can just cry about it all you want, they aren't doing anything wrong.
Except when it says keep right except to pass
Old 9/3/14, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I got pissed today because I was trying to turn right onto a 4 lane road and the car coming towards me was slowing down and turned right but never used his blinker. Wtf people. I hope he saw me cursing his *** out through my driver window. I ****ing hate people that don't use signals. They should be dragged from their cars and shot. Would save the world a lot of trouble. ****ing low life's.
****, that's a lot of violence for a lack of turn signal.
Old 9/3/14, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Except when it says keep right except to pass

I've been driving for 26 years and driven in 15 different states and a few countries over seas. I've never seen a sign that says "Keep right except to pass". If there is a posted speed limit, that is the speed limit, period. If you want to go slower than that, keep right. That's the way it works. If you want to go faster than that, don't complain about the people who are doing the speed limit.
Old 9/3/14, 07:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
****, that's a lot of violence for a lack of turn signal.

I edited it

The long version is much worse

I'm so sick of morons on the road
Old 9/3/14, 08:22 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I feel your pain I can't stand it when you are waiting at a stop to make a turn and the jackwad that you are waiting for doesn't turn their signal on until the last minute. If they would turn their signal on a little earlier you could turn and everything would be zen!!! But then you realize that it's their planet and we live in it!
Old 9/3/14, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by White2010

I drive a 55 mph two lane divided highway ever day to and from work. It is rare that I encounter someone in the left lane who is driving below the speed limit. For the most part the slow drivers tend to keep right. What is not uncommon is to see someone who just can't bring themselves to drive the speed limit and they zig zag through traffic and then get all upset when they can't get around a couple of cars that are both doing the speed limit. Heck for that matter, almost everyone is about 5 to 10 mph above the limit for the most part and for some that's still not enough.
I see a couple of issues with all of this and what you are describing is definitely not my experience. I did say "passing lane" and not "speeding lane" -- whether the actual, LEGAL definition is in the books or not is almost irrelevant. The second (or third or fourth or far left outside lane) is definitely intended for passing. I mean, period, that's what the original design of the interstate was for. At the time the interstates were designed, THAT was the main intent. There wasn't the volume of today's traffic and the original designers understood on a limited access highway, this was necessary. Otherwise, we would have had all two lane instead of four lane roads. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. THAT was the original intent. (Because they knew somebody would get on a 55mph highway and drive 40mph and bottle everyone up behind them. So to relieve the tension in traffic and allow for traffic FLOW -- through PASSING -- the "passing lane" was created as part of the design. Bada bing.)

I see signs on a lot of interstates that state something like this: "Slower drivers move right" or whatever. I can post examples if you want at some point. The intent is clear.

Secondly, I used to hold your view on speed limits until I came to realize and had confirmed to me by state troopers in various states that I asked or happened to know (a good friend was a Florida state trooper -- I don't live there now). Unfortunately, the speed limits, even from the standpoint of states, state DOTs and law enforcement is RELATIVE. This is why in most states you won't get pulled over for driving slightly over the speed limit.

Yes, "technically" what you have stated is true. But most people realize speed is analog and can't (and even shouldn't) be regulated digitally or strictly. Almost every state has statues on radar detection error variances, etc. And most speed limits are set based on expected behaviors and expecting that most people tend to "push" the limit. A lot of speed limits are automatically zoned (ie. if driveways accessible to the road, no matter how much clearance there is in the road, the speed limit MUST be... 35mph or whatever.)

The point is, speed limits have become somewhat relative in terms of their intent. So I don't buy that someone is "in the wrong" if they want to overtake and pass at 60-65mph someone going 55mph. Safety is the key issue (coming from the person who did 120mph the other day, I realize it sounds a bit hypocritical). I have been in many situations where the "speed limit" (legally) was 55mph and it definitely did NOT feel safe driving 55mph.

It's right because the letter of the law is still stated a lot as you have stated, but it's never really actually viewed that way, even by states, especially in their enforcement.

Maybe someone with a police background will jump in and provide a clearer view, but I have been told by troopers that in a lot of situations, the speed limit is set about 10mph below what they really want and expect traffic to be flowing at for safety reasons because a lot of people will push it.

As for your experience in people being in the passing lane doing the speed limit, the complaint is about those who aren't -- how many do or don't isn't the issue -- there are too many who sit in the passing lane (a lot of times YAKING AWAY ON THEIR CELL PHONES!!!) doing WELL under the speed limit. Happens ALL the time.

Basically what I see on the road, day in and day out as I drive is: "I'm the only one on the planet right now. No one else exists except me right now at this moment in time and if someone happens to come along who doesn't like it... SCREW 'EM." THAT'S what I see most of the time.

And a few others who want to play cop or prove a point or otherwise not mind their business and just DRIVE. Which seems to be happening MORE these days (and I'm not saying this b/c of the whole Mustang issue -- I see drivers speeding up and keeping people from passing them or whatever other rude, idiotic stuff much more frequently to other drivers, not just "me.")

Last edited by eriks; 9/3/14 at 09:04 PM.
Old 9/3/14, 09:12 PM
Banned

I see a couple of issues with all of this and what you are describing is definitely not my experience. I did say "passing lane" and not "speeding lane" -- whether the actual, LEGAL definition is in the books or not is almost irrelevant. The second (or third or fourth or far left outside lane) is definitely intended for passing. I mean, period, that's what the original design of the interstate was for. At the time the interstates were designed, THAT was the main intent. There wasn't the volume of today's traffic and the original designers understood on a limited access highway, this was necessary. Otherwise, we would have had all two lane instead of four lane roads. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. THAT was the original intent.

I see signs on a lot of interstates that state something like this: "Slower drivers move right" or whatever. I can post examples if you want at some point. The intent is clear.

Secondly, I used to hold your view on speed limits until I came to realize and had confirmed to me by state troopers in various states that I asked or happened to know (a good friend was a Florida state trooper -- I don't live there now). Unfortunately, the speed limits, even from the standpoint of states, state DOTs and law enforcement is RELATIVE. This is why in most states you won't get pulled over for driving slightly over the speed limit.

Yes, "technically" what you have stated is true. But most people realize speed is analog and can't (and even shouldn't) be regulated digitally or strictly. Almost every state has statues on radar detection error variances, etc. And most speed limits are set based on expected behaviors and expecting that most people tend to "push" the limit. A lot of speed limits are automatically zoned (ie. if driveways accessible to the road, no matter how much clearance there is in the road, the speed limit MUST be... 35mph or whatever.)

The point is, speed limits have become somewhat relative in terms of their intent. So I don't buy that someone is "in the wrong" if they want to overtake and pass at 60-65mph someone going 55mph. Safety is the key issue (coming from the person who did 120mph the other day, I realize it sounds a bit hypocritical). I have been in many situations where the "speed limit" (legally) was 55mph and it definitely did NOT feel safe driving 55mph.

It's right because the letter of the law is still stated a lot as you have stated, but it's never really actually viewed that way, even by states, especially in their enforcement.

Maybe someone with a police background will jump in and provide a clearer view, but I have been told by troopers that in a lot of situations, the speed limit is set about 10mph below what they really want and expect traffic to be flowing at for safety reasons because a lot of people will push it.

As for your experience in people being in the passing lane doing the speed limit, the complaint is about those who aren't -- how many do or don't isn't the issue -- there are too many who sit in the passing lane (a lot of times YAKING AWAY ON THEIR CELL PHONES!!!) doing WELL under the speed limit. Happens ALL the time.

Basically what I see on the road, day in and day out as I drive is: "I'm the only one on the planet right now. No one else exists except me right now at this moment in time and if someone happens to come along who doesn't like it... SCREW 'EM." THAT'S what I see most of the time.

And a few others who want to play cop or prove a point or otherwise not mind their business and just DRIVE. Which seems to be happening MORE these days (and I'm not saying this b/c of the whole Mustang issue -- I see drivers speeding up and keeping people from passing them or whatever other rude, idiotic stuff much more frequently to other drivers, not just "me.")
Where to begin?

Well for starters the original intent of the interstate system was not to establish the the left lane or left three lanes as "passing lanes". The original intent of the interstate system was to be used as a means to evacuate large cities in the event of war or potential nuclear attack. Furthermore they were also designed to be used as runways in the event of war which is why they tend to be laid out in long straight stretches for the most part. When you find yourself driving on an interstate road that is six or seven lanes across did you ever notice that golly gee it always seems to be near or in a large city? Could that be due to the high volume of traffic in large cities or is it just because they wanted to have five passing lanes? I'm going with high traffic volume.

Speed limits are not relative and speed limits are not established with the "wink wink, nod nod" rule that "we really know you're going to speed and its okay." It is true that most law enforcement officers will allow you to go a few mph over the limit without pulling you over. That is not because "it's okay" but rather because they know there are so many out there that are going to go well over the posted limit.

If you encounter a person on a two lane highway who is in the left lane and driving below the posted limit I completely agree with you that they are being an jerkwad. They need to keep right. I too have seen the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs but never have I seen a sign that says "Keep Right Except to Pass." There is no such sign and that is an entirely different thing. You have absolutely no right to expect that a person will go over the speed limit to accommodate you, regardless of which lane you are in. That is the real danger on the road, not those who are doing the posted limit.
Old 9/3/14, 09:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BS. The passing lane is just that: a passing lane. The other lanes are for traveling. If you're not passing, get the eff over. If you aren't a cop, you have no say over people speeding in the passing lane. If people stuck to this, there would be less traffic and fewer accidents. I stick to the right and pass on the left as much as traffic, idiots and aholes allow.

Last edited by wheelman; 9/3/14 at 09:26 PM.
Old 9/3/14, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I want to stamp this on my mustangs Grill.

Old 9/3/14, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
BS. The passing lane is just that: a passing lane. The other lanes are for traveling. If you're not passing, get the eff over. If you aren't a cop, you have no say over people speeding in the passing lane. If people stuck to this, there would be less traffic and fewer accidents. I stick to the right and pass on the left as much as traffic, idiots and aholes allow.
I agree!!!!

Quick Reply: Do average Joes on the road wanna "drag" u??!!??