General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Dash cams

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/15, 06:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Anybody know anything about the Cobra Drive HD Dash Cam? Costco has it for about $80. I know there are a lot of cheapies out there, but not sure I want to take the chance and throw the $50-$60 buck out. With Costco it can go back easily if I don't like what it does.

Here is the link to Costco page...
http://www.costco.com/Cobra-Drive-HD...100223046.html

If your a member you can see the price.

They also have one of the GoPro's, not sure which one, for around $250.
I picked up a Cobra cam from Costco about 3 weeks ago to use in my Mach 1. It works as advertised, easy to use. It has a 120 degree field of view and as a nice mount.
I have a Uniden cam in my DD that has a 160 degree field of view. The distortion is slightly more, but it covers a much greater area. That was at Best Buy for $140.

Last edited by GT_Dave; 11/15/15 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11/22/15, 05:36 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Originally Posted by GT50GO
I have a front dash cam and also a rear one on my car. When researching them I looked into the GoPro. Some disadvantage of the GoPro is it's not specifically designed for this purpose so you don't get video looping (1,3 or 5 min video chunks) and auto erase when the SD card is full so you'll have to format your SD card manually anytime it fills up. I don't think you can wire it to a 12v source so it won't power on and off automatically. Also G-Force activation and a few other things. As far as video quality any dash cam worth it's weight is going to be comparable to the GoPro.
The advantage of the GoPro is you can use it for so many other things and who doesn't like a GoPro.
I went with a Falcon Zero F170 in font and a capacitor based (no battery) Auto-Vox B40-C in the rear. A battery based dash cam will screw with the battery if you leave it mounted in the summer months if the temperature gets around / above 130 F. I wanted something in the rear that was stealthy and did not have to be removed. I remove the front camera if I'm parked in the summer sun for a semi long period like work or if I'm in a not so great area of town since I don't want my windows smashed so they can grab the camera.
I was surprised how well the rear camera records through my rear window being that it's "lemo" tinted on the outside. Here's a 1 minute video of the rear. It looses a little quality via YouTube. In the actual video you can read the plate of the car behind me pretty easily.
Awesome man. Thanks for posting.
I'm pretty sure I would like a rear camera as well. I want it to be stealthy like you have. I wouldn't leave them plugged in at all. I would take them out every time I parked the car back in the garage.
Old 11/23/15, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Awesome man. Thanks for posting.
I'm pretty sure I would like a rear camera as well. I want it to be stealthy like you have. I wouldn't leave them plugged in at all. I would take them out every time I parked the car back in the garage.

Old 11/26/15, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two 'Black Box G1W'. Amazon carries them. After reading extensively up,on them, I picked this one. The price, performance, and features fit what I was looking for. I wanted a simple, straight forward unit. No gps, no mapping capabilities, just a good dash cam that works well during the day, night and in diferent weather. This one works well in all weather and time of day. You need to read closely to get the right micro SD class 10 chip. A lot of reviews of it say without a class 10 chip, it does not work well.

One point with my 2014 mustang, none of the cigarette lighters power off when the car is not running. The unit will power on and begin recording as soon as it gets power. Nice feature so I do not have to think about turning it on the very time I get in to drive. With the 2014, I had to plug it in and unplug for each trip. I noticed in my 2016, the outlets do not have power until the car is started. However, after the car is turned off, the power to the outlets stays on if I have something plugged in and using the power. I am not sure if the power will cut off eventually. I searched the owners manual and the net for information on this. Does anyone here know how the power to th cigarette outlets work? A problem solver would be to hard wire it the a line that gets power when the ignition is on.

I bought it originally to have an unbiased eye on the road around me in case something happened. So far, 6 months later later, nothing worth posting. I have sent a couple videos to schools who I caught a bus driver with kids on, plow through red lights.

The idiots I wanted to capture on video, doing really stupid or agrivating stunts, I have only capture one. It's been me doing dumb things. I can say that it has actually helped me drive better and not take so many chances.

Good Luck All
Old 11/26/15, 01:14 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Originally Posted by PA-Fatboy
I wanted a simple, straight forward unit. No gps, no mapping capabilities, just a good dash cam that works well during the day, night and in diferent weather.
That's exactly what I'm looking for.
I don't want any of those extras. Nor do I need them. Just a straight forward killer dash cam. I have read about the one you are referring to and they got good reviews.