General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Cd program w 06 mustang gt w 1000 shaker system.

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/21, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cd program w 06 mustang gt w 1000 shaker system.

I ve got an 06 mustang gt, w the 1000 shaker system...it won't take cd s.. it says cd error...radio works fine except when I first start it ,sometimes it goes off for 5 or 10 seconds but then it's fine..... any suggestions... also if its not fixable, could I put in a 500 head unit... will it work all the rear amps and speakers the same...I read only difference was an equalizer setting... but does everything plug in the same... I'd appreciate some input....thx...
Old 9/12/21, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

I'm not an expert, so I don't have a definitive answer on this. However, doing a quick parts search here shows the various head units (which is what you're having an issue with) that were available for the cars:

https://parts.lakelandford.com/showA...sembly=6481251
(NOT a suggestion or advice on shopping, mind, just it's a really great place to search for esoteric parts/things sometimes)

That shows that there are various different models of the head units (part 1 in the picture) for the various trim levels of sound. It therefore looks to be that the Shaker 500 (high performance) has a different part number than the Shaker 1000 (Super sound) (and I'm guessin' at those descriptions, mind.) I would therefore guess the head units are not the same, and exact match is required to keep it stock and work.

You might find one on that fleaBae or Jungle Site for sale as used, or go to a bone yard and find one there, or you might just go ahead and convert it to a more modern head unit, there's information about how to do that. You'll need modules to get it to work with the Ford amplifiers, because of course Ford can't be bothered to use standard componentry for entertainment systems. Or just gut the entire works and put in your own amps, but you can keep the speakers, absolutely. Just be mindful of your resistances between amps and speakers.

I hope that helps, and good luck!