General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

breaking in the engine

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/05, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys i have a 302 miles on my car n i got on it like 7 times and maby like 3 times were high rpms -- ok i never have launched the car from like a 5,000 rev point just u no i be normally n 2nd gear n give it 3/4 gas n then floor it and shift it at about 5,800 ( i wanted too see wat the pick up was like ) and its awsome haha but is that nearly 6000 rrevs bad for an engine soo brand new and to help u give me an answer it was def not hanging rpms - because i read that its good to just drive it easy with easy shifts while breaking it in and then once in a while to get threw the gears a lil quick just to get the motor used to it and stuff -- ok if u guys can help i would like it haha im not the best typer n i dont make much sense haha but thanks !!
Old 2/19/05, 10:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No I can totally understand your typing However it just maybe all the Hydrolic Flid all over your keyboard that makes your fingys slip ?
Old 2/19/05, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by hydroliks2@February 20, 2005, 1:09 AM
ok guys i have a 302 miles on my car n i got on it like 7 times and maby like 3 times were high rpms -- ok i never have launched the car from like a 5,000 rev point just u no i be normally n 2nd gear n give it 3/4 gas n then floor it and shift it at about 5,800 ( i wanted too see wat the pick up was like ) and its awsome haha but is that nearly 6000 rrevs bad for an engine soo brand new and to help u give me an answer it was def not hanging rpms - because i read that its good to just drive it easy with easy shifts while breaking it in and then once in a while to get threw the gears a lil quick just to get the motor used to it and stuff -- ok if u guys can help i would like it haha im not the best typer n i dont make much sense haha but thanks !!
Old 2/19/05, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by hydroliks2@February 20, 2005, 1:09 AM
Old 2/19/05, 10:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Must be Slipping again Try some Zorball ?
Old 2/19/05, 10:16 PM

ok im new at doin this i tihnk i messed up senfing a reply but ne ways buddy i dont do ne thing with hydroliks at all this screen name is from like 6 years ago and it has all my buddies on them so i dont feel liek amking a new one and getting all my buddies on that one i am 16 years old and i am 100 percent into american cars and i hate all that souping and ricing nonsense - when i was in 6th grade i made this screen becuz my sister hung out with ppl who had hydroliks so i thought i be cool making the screen name - im actually ashamed of the screen name though haha just to lazy to go threw the hssle to make a new one
Originally posted by hydroliks2+February 20, 2005, 1:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydroliks2 @ February 20, 2005, 1:16 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hydroliks2@February 20, 2005, 1:09 AM
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/19/05, 10:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I type just as bad so please fogive me I mean no dis respect I was only funning, I know what its like to work with Hydrolics in the freezing cold in Northern Saskatchewan and Alberta trying to bleed the lines in a blizzard. Its NO picknick dang near lost my shifter hand. Don't be ashammed of a screen name man I'm sure we all have our reasons and mine was simple after I was allowed to open a 05 GT wide up I decided I GottaHaveIt and here I am bad typing and all so Be proud ALWAYS ! Ed
Old 2/19/05, 11:02 PM

lol well then thats settled haha but we still need to figure out the whole correct way to break in your engine the best way possible
Originally posted by GottaHaveIt@February 20, 2005, 1:33 AM
I type just as bad so please fogive me I mean no dis respect I was only funning, I know what its like to work with Hydrolics in the freezing cold in Northern Saskatchewan and Alberta trying to bleed the lines in a blizzard. Its NO picknick dang near lost my shifter hand. Don't be ashammed of a screen name man I'm sure we all have our reasons and mine was simple after I was allowed to open a 05 GT wide up I decided I GottaHaveIt and here I am bad typing and all so Be proud ALWAYS ! Ed
Old 2/20/05, 03:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

yep me gonna be stoppin in dar today and askin nice like, i guess it may depend on where one live re: the altitude and such for the engines air ? I thought of it as i have to when scuba diving and all.
Old 2/22/05, 09:43 PM

after having built 50 plus engines in the last 20 years my breaking procedure is 1. start and run above 2000 rpm for 20 minites varying the rpm 2. no leaks - shut off for a couple hours 3. start up and go to a road that you can put in high gear and stand on it to 80 or 90+
pull you foot off the peddle and let coast toa idle

do this 5 for 10 times and put your car in service.

purpose to seat the rings and burnish the cam (excluding roller)
the rest of the stuff works or doesnt
Old 2/24/05, 04:04 PM
V6 Member

I talked to a service rep at my dealer. He told me these engines don't need to be broken in. The block and moving parts are all cut by laser, very tight specs with no metal bures in the cylinders or other parts. That is also the reason the oil is 5w/20 weight, very thin oil to fit between these tight parts. There is no break in period, but I did take it a bit easy for the first few hundred miles anyway. Just some info I have been told. I do remember seeing some posts a while ago about no break in period, but never knew why. Good luck, and keep that car tight and clean.
Old 2/28/05, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

"ok im new at doin this i tihnk i messed up senfing a reply but ne ways buddy i dont do ne thing with hydroliks at all this screen name is from like 6 years ago and it has all my buddies on them so i dont feel liek amking a new one and getting all my buddies on that one i am 16 years old and i am 100 percent into american cars and i hate all that souping and ricing nonsense - when i was in 6th grade i made this screen becuz my sister hung out with ppl who had hydroliks so i thought i be cool making the screen name - im actually ashamed of the screen name though haha just to lazy to go threw the hssle to make a new one "

Your question was understood, it was just hard getting to the heart of it. Try slowing down and using punctuation...A capitol letter wouldn't hurt either, but not necessary....not a period or a comma in your entire post, which makes it hard to read and understand. Just some constructive advice is all. And there's nothing wrong with your screen name....keep it. You chose it for a reason.

RE: breaking your engine in. As was stated earlier...no need to. Just don't go all hog wild with it. Rev it up and back off. Take it through all the gears fast and slow. Drive in all types of conditions. just drive it and enjoy it....just don't break it.
Old 3/1/05, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

and sometimes its hard not to bash n00bs