General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Break in questions

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/05 | 11:01 AM
GT Member

I know I'm not supposed to drive the car at one speed for extended periods of time, but I was driving on the highway last night and I became somewhat obsessive about taking my foot off of the gas and then re-applying pressure (regulating).

How many mph difference should there be? I was making myself sick by hitting 70 and taking my foot off the gas til I hit 65 and then going back up to 70.

How long at one speed is too long? How much of a difference should there be in the mph? I mean, is 69 - 70 considered one speed or two? What about 68 - 70? How exact is this?

The manual says the gas should be at least 87 octane. I got the car on empty with a voucher, and put 89 in. Is 89 okay? Does it matter? Also, since I didn't have any problems at that Sunoco station, does that mean I don't have one of those gas tanks with the filling problems?

The car smells like there are things burning in the engine, oil and other fluids. That's normal, right?

Oh, he said not to put a locking gas tank lid because it could affect the emissions testing when I go for inspection. I'd feel better if the tank were locked, so is he right about that?

Thanks
I don't know anything about cars and I think the break in period is so crucial and so stressful, I just want to do it right. My salesman said to change the oil at 1,000 miles and every 3000 after. The book says to wait to 5,000 for the first. There's no harm in changing it at 1000, right?
Old 6/11/05 | 11:33 AM
Queen Of Nascar

The burning smell will go away after around 1K miles best I remember. It seems like I smelled it for quite awhile.

Ford sells a locking gas cap. We don't have emisions testing here, so I am not familiar with any problems it might cause if any.

I changed my oil at 1K also and everything is still working normally.

As far as the break in, I'll let someone else answer that one. Most of my first driving was around town. I do know that the first time I got the car to around 100 mph it felt like it opened things up and had better response from then on.

Good Luck, You're not going to mess anything up.
Old 6/11/05 | 12:37 PM

Yeah, you're doing fine, Fellser. I think the main thing is for the first 1,000 miles don't set the cruise on a certain speed for any length of time. What you've been doing is great; just fluctuate speeds from time to time. I've got 400 miles on mine, but I occasionally punch it while entering freeways; etc. - break it in like you're gonna drive it! As to the octane question, I'll put 87 in mine and then 89 the next time - engine just seems to respond a little better with a little higher octane. I, too, will change my oil and filter at 1,000 miles and then every 3,000 - 4,000 afterwards. I also put the Ford locking gas cap on mine, but I don't have emissions testing to worry about. I'm still noticing the burning smell in mine, also, but it is diminishing. Perfectly normal. Bottom line - drive it like it's meant to be driven and enjoy it!
Old 6/11/05 | 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I have 4800 miles. The break in period is not a big deal. Stay off the cruise control and vary your driving for the first 500 miles. A little city, a little highway. There is no need to change the oil early. I repeat, no need. The olds days of break in oil and early changes are gone. Change at 4,000 to 5,000 miles and you will be fine. I am using ford Fiolters and ford syn blend oil. There is no advantage to using 89 octane. It burns slower and is designed for higher compression engines.
Old 6/11/05 | 08:28 PM

Originally posted by ravenblack67@June 11, 2005, 4:34 PM
I have 4800 miles. The break in period is not a big deal. Stay off the cruise control and vary your driving for the first 500 miles. A little city, a little highway. There is no need to change the oil early. I repeat, no need. The olds days of break in oil and early changes are gone. Change at 4,000 to 5,000 miles and you will be fine. I am using ford Fiolters and ford syn blend oil. There is no advantage to using 89 octane. It burns slower and is designed for higher compression engines.
To each his own - call me old school, but I don't think changing the oil at 1,000 miles just to ensure any casting remnants/particles are flushed out will hurt anything. Nor will running an occasional tank of 89 octane fuel.
Old 6/11/05 | 08:31 PM
GT Member

I appreciate the help. Breaking in a car is so stressful because I figure whether I keep the car for 10 years or I sell it, the car should be broken in well.

I bought an automatic, but I've been driving manuals for 12 years. The car doesn't slow down when I take my foot off the gas. Is it okay for me to shift into 3rd? Is it okay for me to do that now when the car has less than 100 miles on it?

My 92 LX had almost 200k miles on it and the original rotors. I went replaced the brake pads twice on the car (once right before I sold it). Since the car doesn't naturally slow when I let off the gas, I can see having to replace the brakes a lot more often.

Okay, here's a Shaker 500 question, at least I think it is. I burned MP3s on MM Jukebox and when I play them, they're in a shuffle order. Is it the Skaker doing that?

I put another 50 miles on the car today. I like more and more each time I drive it. The top is really slow though. My Honda's top went down in seconds, but this one seems to take forever.

I asked the service guy about the locking gas tank lid, he went through the book and the computer (I think) and then told me Ford doesn't make it. Should I just go to another dealer? Order online?
Old 6/11/05 | 09:53 PM
FR500 Member

I have the locking gas cap and they should not affect emissions. Contact 05stangkc (our Ford parts supplier) and he can hook you up with one at a reasonable price. Also, I believe it is the same one that fits the F150 or the Explorer. His name is Kevin.

Paul
Old 6/12/05 | 12:30 AM
GT Member

Yeah, if anyone knows a way to make the top go down quicker, I would love to learn of it. I have to pull over to do it now. I want to do it at a red light.
Old 6/12/05 | 01:51 AM
Cobra Member

Burning Smell? Gee I must have got the non burning model. All I ever smelt was new car....mind you the grin from ear to ear problem overrode any smell. I never used cruise control until I had 1500 miles on the mustang, I varied speeds but was never **** about it. I drove the mustang like it is meant to be driven...hard & fast but never overdone. The mustang currently at 2985 miles on it or just over 4600 kilometers with the original oil. Once the car reaches 3250 miles or 5000 kilometers it will be time for the oil change. Remember the break in period is for the first 1000 miles, after that drive it like its stolen...within reason that is!
Old 6/12/05 | 05:04 AM
GT Member

I'm cahnging my oil at 1000 miles, it just makes sense to me to get that out of there. I have this image of metal shavings tumbling around in there and what's the harm of changing the oil and filter ?
Old 6/12/05 | 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lorrie,
Drive like you stole it.

The break in is far less critical then in years past.

I have a manual and for the first 1000 miles when on the highway I would cruise to 80 MPH in 5th gear. Run that way for a couple of miles. Slow down to about 70 and shift into 4th gear.

It's not so much about changing speeds as it is RPM's.

Keep the RPM's running up and down either through acceleration/deceleration or shifting.

I also would get off an exit every five miles or so and drive the city roads to the next on ramp.

Vary the speed and don't redline it.
Everything else in between in perfectly acceptable.
Old 6/12/05 | 08:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Save your money and run 87, it's made and programed to run on on it.