General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Better Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/12 | 01:38 AM

Better Track Car?

Since my GT500 preorder fell apart I have since found a boss 302 and Laguna Seca for MSRP already built not too far from where I live.

I am a SCCA n00b, but do want to get into track racing. It was recently brought to my attention that the GT500 would be classed with GTRs, Vipers, Z06s etc and thats not really the type of competition I want.

Does anyone know if the Boss or LS is classed more competitively? The info I've found on SCCA is confusing as I've heard A, AS, BS and the last update I can find about the LS was that it was on the no stock list (or something to that extent).

I already have a daily driver so this will be mostly my weekend / track car.

any thoughts?
Old 8/19/12 | 01:40 AM
Banned

Just one, Noooooooooooo
Old 8/19/12 | 01:51 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

If you're gonna spend good money for a weekend track car, just buy a dang race car. Buy a car built for racing. Not a car that is allegedly "track ready". Lol. It can still be street legal.
Old 8/19/12 | 03:02 AM

care to elaborate? =)

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Just one, Noooooooooooo
Old 8/19/12 | 03:10 AM

I'm just getting into it and thought a 302 / LS was just that?

What are some good cars to consider then? What is wrong with the Boss or LS?

Not really interested in ATOM or XBow. Even in Forza I prefer racing more stock / production cars.

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
If you're gonna spend good money for a weekend track car, just buy a dang race car. Buy a car built for racing. Not a car that is allegedly "track ready". Lol. It can still be street legal.

Last edited by maverik; 8/19/12 at 03:20 AM.
Old 8/19/12 | 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by maverik
I'm just getting into it and thought a 302 / LS was just that?

What are some good cars to consider then? What is wrong with the Boss or LS?

Not really interested in ATOM or XBow. Even in Forza I prefer racing more stock / production cars.
Hell I would just buy a vette if I was really into pure stock road racing. That's just one suggestion. From what I've learned from at least the Boss crowd here is that they are not mustang loyalists much less Ford loyalists. Most of that crowd were European fanatics before the boss came out.
Old 8/19/12 | 04:23 AM

not much of a vette fan though. nothing wrong with it, just not to my taste.

I'm curious as to why you are suggesting against a Boss or LS? Are they not classed competitively or are there problems with the car for tracking, or are they just too expensive for what you get?

sorry you lost me a bit on the last point. not really sure what being a loyalists has to do with anything? Isn't that a good thing when an american muscle car appeals to m3 crowd?

Hell I would just buy a vette if I was really into pure stock road racing. That's just one suggestion. From what I've learned from at least the Boss crowd here is that they are not mustang loyalists much less Ford loyalists. Most of that crowd were European fanatics before the boss came out.
Old 8/19/12 | 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by maverik
not much of a vette fan though. nothing wrong with it, just not to my taste.

I'm curious as to why you are suggesting against a Boss or LS? Are they not classed competitively or are there problems with the car for tracking, or are they just too expensive for what you get?

sorry you lost me a bit on the last point. not really sure what being a loyalists has to do with anything? Isn't that a good thing when an american muscle car appeals to m3 crowd?
I'm not really going against the LS. Bang for the buck it's probably the best stock track car made. But like any racing, the weekend hobby can be very addicting. A pure stock class just has you so limited. Once you get to a certain point, you're stuck there. I just can't justify putting $50k to the very edge of its limits. Then again, about $25k for a built track car, I will push that to the edge and farther. Maybe it's just the competitive mindset I have but just weekend track days would be weekend race days for me. Really it to each his own I guess.
It just reminds me of watching the local Ferrari club track days we have down here sometimes. These guys suit up and strap in just to cruise around the track. They don't dare push one close to the edge. Usually with the exception of a couple rich psychos that aren't happy till they lose some paint. If I'm on a racetrack I am gonna push till I break something. Which is why I don't race much.

Oh and the M3 crowd defecting to the Boss camp. Nah, I can do without em. Top gear is an entertaining show but England can suck it.
Old 8/19/12 | 05:24 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm going to want to beat my best time every lap and while I do want to do some mods (brake lines, fluid, larger cooling ducts, etc) I don't want to do too much else.

From what I think I understand, it looks like the LS is not classed yet but qualifies for ESP. . . . while I'll mostly be doing solo, if I got the chops, I wouldn't mind getting into road racing (if thats what its called, still learning terminology) but want to make sure there is a decent amount of fair competition.

My biggest concern is I don't want to buy a car at the lower end of the class or not classified at all (which the LS seems to be right now) and I definitely don't want to get into a car (like the 302s) that the SCCA nerfs and causes the engines to melt (not to mention price).

to be honest, not much a fan of Jeremy Clarkson but I kind of like the little dude whatever his name is.

I'm not really going against the LS. Bang for the buck it's probably the best stock track car made. But like any racing, the weekend hobby can be very addicting. A pure stock class just has you so limited. Once you get to a certain point, you're stuck there. I just can't justify putting $50k to the very edge of its limits. Then again, about $25k for a built track car, I will push that to the edge and farther. Maybe it's just the competitive mindset I have but just weekend track days would be weekend race days for me. Really it to each his own I guess.
It just reminds me of watching the local Ferrari club track days we have down here sometimes. These guys suit up and strap in just to cruise around the track. They don't dare push one close to the edge. Usually with the exception of a couple rich psychos that aren't happy till they lose some paint. If I'm on a racetrack I am gonna push till I break something. Which is why I don't race much.

Oh and the M3 crowd defecting to the Boss camp. Nah, I can do without em. Top gear is an entertaining show but England can suck it.