General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Anyone use wheel spacers with stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/15, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone use wheel spacers with stock wheels?

Considering getting some wheel spacers for my 2008 Bullitt, but not sure which ones would work best? Is anyone here running spacers with stock wheels? I'm thinking the car might look better with the wheels more flush with the wheel wells. Thoughts?
Old 1/31/15, 02:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Some would argue against, some would argue for...

A small, say 1/4" to maybe 1/2" spacer, would probably not hurt. More than that might induce a look you do not like. Remember, the inner part of the wheel/tire is also moving out, and we don't really want you to have a roller skate look... do we?

HOWEVER... You need to be aware that the wheels on the S197 (and many Mustangs) are hubcentric AND lugcentric.

What this means is that the wheels fit onto the hub very precisely on a bit of the hub that sticks out, to center the wheel on the hub. This reduces vibrations due to the wheel being stuck out to one 'side' of the hub. As well, the lugs are tapered with the wheel, and that centers the wheel further. All to reduce vibration and the possibility of shearing the lugs on takeoff or heavy braking.

So when you introduce a spacer, you may or may not induce a problem you didn't mean to. So get high quality, made for the specific application ones and not just whatever's on the shelf. And also be aware that the spacer may require you to also get longer studs lest you don't have enough threads on the lugs to secure the wheel.

I would say that the right move is a wider wheel/tire with the correct offset, rather than to move the wheels out, but that's just me.

I'm not saying don't. I'm saying do your research. Don't wanna have ya shear off any lugs or bobble down the road and spill yer drink, y'know.

Last edited by houtex; 1/31/15 at 02:40 PM.
Old 1/31/15, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only problem with a bigger wheel/tire combo is that I love the stock Bullitt wheels and would not want to change them for anything else. That's the main reason I'm thinking about spacers.
Old 1/31/15, 03:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrp5150
The only problem with a bigger wheel/tire combo is that I love the stock Bullitt wheels and would not want to change them for anything else. That's the main reason I'm thinking about spacers.
Patrick - laserred38 - used them on his SN95. He would know.
Old 1/31/15, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Patrick - laserred38 - used them on his SN95. He would know.
I did, on the rear end they were fine. I rand 1" all around on my 2014 and the fronts picked up some vibration above 65, so I took them off. You can run some Maximum Motorsports/H&R/Eibach with longer ARP studs, and you'll be fine. Those are hubcentric and CNC machines so you won't have any issues, as long as go with longer studs. I'm putting a 1/4" on the front and 5/16" on the rear tomorrow though, as I want just a slightly lower offset on my Niches. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 1/31/15, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Patrick, I was thinking of these for the front and rear. The reviews all seem really good?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...chWheelSpacers
Old 1/31/15, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Patrick, I was thinking of these for the front and rear. The reviews all seem really good? http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...chWheelSpacers
I'd give them a shot. I got some cheaper ones off amazon that were supposed to be CNC'd too, but you never know right? I didn't care for the vibration at higher speeds with the 1" bolt on ones on the front end - in both my applications the rear ends were fine. I even tried swapping them front to rear and one set was definitely more balanced than the others, but there was still a vibration. I'd think some brand name ones would be better...
Old 1/31/15, 11:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd give them a shot. I got some cheaper ones off amazon that were supposed to be CNC'd too, but you never know right? I didn't care for the vibration at higher speeds with the 1" bolt on ones on the front end - in both my applications the rear ends were fine. I even tried swapping them front to rear and one set was definitely more balanced than the others, but there was still a vibration. I'd think some brand name ones would be better...
I'm guessing these Eibach ones wouldn't create a vibration? Or is there a different brand or size you would suggest?
Old 2/1/15, 06:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm guessing these Eibach ones wouldn't create a vibration? Or is there a different brand or size you would suggest?
I would think any of those 3 brands I mentioned before would be good, Eibach/H&R or Maximum Motorsports.
Old 2/1/15, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Patrick, would these be alright or do you think they would create a vibration? They don't seem to have a brand name?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-bi...l-spacers.html

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently these don't fit stock wheels. Wonder why?
Old 2/1/15, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Patrick, would these be alright or do you think they would create a vibration? They don't seem to have a brand name? http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-bi...l-spacers.html EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently these don't fit stock wheels. Wonder why?
Those look like the ones that I used. One of the sets I got off amazon didn't work with my wheels because the stock studs actually extended further than the spacer, so the wheel wouldn't sit flush - some aftermarket wheels have openings in the wheel that would allow those studs to recess into. My/our stock wheels don't have those little windows.
Old 2/1/15, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe I will call American Muscle tomorrow and see which ones they recommend. I wish they made half inch or three quarter inch spacers. I feel like that would be the perfect size, but maybe the one inch spacers will be what I'm looking for?
Old 2/1/15, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Maybe I will call American Muscle tomorrow and see which ones they recommend. I wish they made half inch or three quarter inch spacers. I feel like that would be the perfect size, but maybe the one inch spacers will be what I'm looking for?
3/4" would usually be perfect for me too, but 3/4" are also "slip over" style which require longer studs. I put the 1/4" in front and 5/16" in rear and so far so good. I haven't taken it on the freeway yet, but I'll report back tomorrow. MM recommends at least 6 full turns of the lug with the wheel on and the rears had about 8 before I torqued them down. The fronts were more than enough. 1/4" is about 7mm, so my Niches are now PERFECTLY flush with the wheel wells. I can't wait until these Pirellis wear out and I can get some 275/40s to officially fill up the wheel wells for good!
Old 2/5/15, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Eibach sells 20mm spacers and according to their website it should fit my Bullitt. Maybe those would look better than the 25mm ones? Such a hard decision.
Old 2/5/15, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Stick a ruler on the sidewall or rim to see how far those two would be out. If it's to better 'match' the wheel arches, that'd be the way find out. Perhaps more isn't better, or maybe it's just what the doctor ordered.
Old 2/10/15, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Eibach also sells a 15 mm spacer. Anyone running that size on a stock wheel?
Old 2/10/15, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Eibach also sells a 15 mm spacer. Anyone running that size on a stock wheel?
Is it bolt on? I haven't had any issues with my 1/4" and 5/16", no vibrations, lugs had plenty of stud to grab (8 full turns). I wouldn't go much higher than that though, unless it bolts on to the hub.