General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Andy's Big Day Aug 1, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/05, 06:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by future9er24@August 2, 2005, 6:47 PM
quick Q for the dealers: how old do ya have to be to be a salesperson? i've been thinking it would be fun for a part time job for a while, but never really asked about it. thanks!
You really only have to be of working age technically, but I would figure most dealers would want you to be at least 18 years old. To tell you, I started when I was 20 years old, and am now 28. The one thing though, this job isn't a part time thing, it is a full-time job, (It is my career, as I take it very seriously, as I have been at the same dealership since I started) that you put in long hours, to sell as many cars as you can, and to make sure you do whatever you can to make your customers happy. Most dealerships do not have part-time salespeople. The job entails too much for only part time. If you love cars, and want to do this for a living, you should give it a try. Hope this answered your question.
Old 8/3/05, 11:25 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! that helps man, but unfortunately, theres no way in heck can find enough time for a full-tim job before i finish school. man, oh well. maybe someday i'll be able to. who knows (hey, the ford salapeople all ready recognize my face lol. that would be a few too many visits to the dealer lol)
Old 8/3/05, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by future9er24@August 3, 2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks! that helps man, but unfortunately, theres no way in heck can find enough time for a full-tim job before i finish school. man, oh well. maybe someday i'll be able to. who knows (hey, the ford salapeople all ready recognize my face lol. that would be a few too many visits to the dealer lol)

Yea, but if you get a job there you could actually punch the clock and get paid Thats prob what Andy was thinkin as well

Old 8/3/05, 11:41 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Looking forward to hearing from Andy. Glad he's doing well so far and liking it.
Old 8/3/05, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Way to go Andy I hope you had a good first day Get out there and sell some Ford's
Old 8/3/05, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I tried to apply for a salesmen position at a lincoln/mercury dealer and never got the call back :bang:. Plus I was all of about 16 at the time and if I walked up to someone looking to buy a car they'd give me and odd look and be like are you serious how old are you and think I knew nothing of it, but when in actuality I prob knew more than some of the older salesmen. oh well, I just wanted to be a car salesmen for the time being, now I'm at where I really wanna be.
Old 8/3/05, 12:13 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by southern_stang_girlee@August 3, 2005, 11:34 AM
Yea, but if you get a job there you could actually punch the clock and get paid Thats prob what Andy was thinkin as well

that was my idear too, but i dont think i can pull it off w/ school and such.

man, getting paid to hang around Fords all day and get to convert some new ppl to the blue oval every day. i dont think there are many jobs that are better. maybe playboy photographer, yeah that'd be fun, along with playing for the niners....and being on the mustang design team.... and.... ok ill stop now
Old 8/3/05, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by future9er24@August 3, 2005, 12:16 PM
that was my idear too, but i dont think i can pull it off w/ school and such.

man, getting paid to hang around Fords all day and get to convert some new ppl to the blue oval every day. i dont think there are many jobs that are better. maybe playboy photographer, yeah that'd be fun, along with playing for the niners....and being on the mustang design team.... and.... ok ill stop now

LOL Arin, you got alot to fullfill
Old 8/3/05, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

you now know where you belong arin !!! Drop out of college (no don't do it)
Old 8/3/05, 02:12 PM
Post *****

cant drop out if im not there yet :P

and miss college football? being on NATIONAL TV? i think not lol
Old 8/3/05, 02:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@August 3, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah I tried to apply for a salesmen position at a lincoln/mercury dealer and never got the call back :bang:. Plus I was all of about 16 at the time and if I walked up to someone looking to buy a car they'd give me and odd look and be like are you serious how old are you and think I knew nothing of it, but when in actuality I prob knew more than some of the older salesmen. oh well, I just wanted to be a car salesmen for the time being, now I'm at where I really wanna be.
Funny you mentioned something about selling a car, and looking real young. When I first started working, I was 20. About 8 months later, I had turned 21, and was working one evening, when a husband and wife walked up the lot. It was my turn, so I walked out to greet them, and offer assistance. He was interested in a new (1998) Expedition, but the VERY first words out of his mouth, and this is NO lie, were "Are you old even enough to sell cars?!". Grant it, I was 21, but if you saw me when I started in this business, I looked closer to 16-18.

I told him I was, continued with the sale, and went on to sell him an Expedition that night. When they came back the next night for delivery, the gentleman told my boss he enjoyed dealing with a younger salesperson, since I didn't pressure them AT ALL, as most places in the area do. A few years later, his wife stopped in to see me again,to purchase a new (2000) Mustang GT Convertible as a suprise for her husband on their anniversary. They were VERY nice people, who always treated me great. They always checked in on me, since I was dealing with alot of health issues that I told them about. I still hear from them today. It is good to be young in the car business. It isn't a bad thing, believe me. I use it to my advantage. My nickname at the dealership is "The Kid", and that is how all my customers know me by, as I am still the youngest there.
Old 8/5/05, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I talked to Andy last night, he said that he is enjoying his job. He has been through alot of training, (watching videos and reading books) and has been able to test drive a bunch of the cars....

I think once all this training is over, and they turn him loose, he will enjoy it even more
Old 8/5/05, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05fordgt@August 3, 2005, 2:32 PM
Funny you mentioned something about selling a car, and looking real young. When I first started working, I was 20. About 8 months later, I had turned 21, and was working one evening, when a husband and wife walked up the lot. It was my turn, so I walked out to greet them, and offer assistance. He was interested in a new (1998) Expedition, but the VERY first words out of his mouth, and this is NO lie, were "Are you old even enough to sell cars?!". Grant it, I was 21, but if you saw me when I started in this business, I looked closer to 16-18.

I told him I was, continued with the sale, and went on to sell him an Expedition that night. When they came back the next night for delivery, the gentleman told my boss he enjoyed dealing with a younger salesperson, since I didn't pressure them AT ALL, as most places in the area do. A few years later, his wife stopped in to see me again,to purchase a new (2000) Mustang GT Convertible as a suprise for her husband on their anniversary. They were VERY nice people, who always treated me great. They always checked in on me, since I was dealing with alot of health issues that I told them about. I still hear from them today. It is good to be young in the car business. It isn't a bad thing, believe me. I use it to my advantage. My nickname at the dealership is "The Kid", and that is how all my customers know me by, as I am still the youngest there.
When i first started here our used car manager had just been hired out of Cleveland. He started in the business at 18 and by 21 he was our used car mgr. He later became our GM. By the time he was 30 he bought his own Ford/mazda dealership and 10 years sold it as a millionaire and retired. Of course he was a confirmed batchelor and was married to his job, he put in 70-80 hours a week.
Old 8/5/05, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that's crazy, 70-80 hours a week, 10hrs at least each day ?!? I know what that's like all to well being in the hotel business.

Matt
Old 8/8/05, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hi guys and gals!!! Wow!!! I can't thank you guys enough for all of the support. My first week went great!! I drove all the cars and suvs and had a busy week but it was fun!!!

I have to thank everyone for being there for me. Without your help guys I don't think I would have taken the job and now I'm really glad I did! The guys I work with are great. They're all understanding and patient with me and are always showing me new things.

Here are my hours if you want to stop by and say hello:

Mon. - 9-9
Tues. - Off
Weds. - 9-9
Thurs. - 10-7
Fri. - 10-8
Sat. - 8:30-5

Just swing on by! I'll be more than happy to chat!

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@August 1, 2005, 12:37 PM
HOLY CRAP- - -EXTON PA!!!! I live in Valley Forge, hey Andy you know where valley forge/paoli/king of prussia is?? I'm a MAX of about 20 mins from that dealership.
Matt, I have a pretty good idea where that is. I'm in East Norriton all week from 9-4 for training
Old 8/8/05, 06:36 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@August 8, 2005, 8:09 PM
Mon. - 9-9
Tues. - Off
Weds. - 9-9
Thurs. - 10-7
Fri. - 10-8
Sat. - 8:30-5
I hope your tennis shoes are comfy. Best of luck!
Old 8/9/05, 02:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
51.5 hours a week bloody hell, you are gonna be tired!
Old 8/9/05, 05:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@August 9, 2005, 2:28 AM
51.5 hours a week bloody hell, you are gonna be tired!

Heck, 51.5 hours a week in this business is nothing!
Old 8/10/05, 07:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ISELLFORD@August 9, 2005, 5:56 AM
Heck, 51.5 hours a week in this business is nothing!
Ed, you are so correct. With the Employee Price sale in July, I logged in 73 hours for 3 weeks straight. I was flat out bushed
Old 8/10/05, 07:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
reminds me of a Monty Python sketch...... Luxury!

Quick Reply: Andy's Big Day Aug 1, 2005