General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Advance Track needs service

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/21, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advance Track needs service

Hi. my 13 GT had The Advance Track needs service light come on and also has no power steering. I was told by auto repair shop the code reader said it was a Steering Wheel Angle Position Sensor. I can't find the Position Sensor and Ford says The car does not have one. So I thought maybe the Clock spring does both... Nope. I changed that and still the same. Help Thanks
Old 2/28/21, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

Here ya go:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=802&f=Steering%20Column.pdf&p=2

The lower right diagram is looking from underneath the steering column. You can see the ignition cylinder at the left side of the picture, and the ignition switch in the center. *Above* that is the 'steering wheel rotation sensor', and is the one you're looking for.

I can't find the exact shop manual section for just that sensor (the online stuff is just a little messy and difficult to find things if you don't know exactly where it is, but it's something...) So to help out on things, here is a video that also shows that sensor:

It appears it's two bolts and swap it, but... don't quote me on that. That guy has no harness involved and it looks like someone really messed that car up installing something else.

So there ya go. Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 2/28/21 at 06:52 PM.
Old 3/1/21, 05:02 AM

Thanks Man. Crazy, I have that Spot, but it's Empty. Also 2 empty screw holes. oh no wires anywhere around there. Ford changed something.
Old 3/1/21, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
also see this thread:
Service Advancetrac PROBLEM SOLVED - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
Old 3/1/21, 07:13 AM

On that diagram you have, can you please find that for the 13 GT ?
Old 3/1/21, 07:30 AM

Thanks, but Computer says Steering Wheel Angle Position Sensor... and some years back it was a donut ring on the column and then in 2011 it went LED in as just a small box on the side of the column.
BUT heck I got neither and It has to have on. I think Ford Incorporated it in to one of the other parts. Ford dealer does not help at all. they just say bring it it.

Old 3/1/21, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hm...

So you may be right. I looked in Tasca, and found that sensor
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...or-6l2z3f818aa

...but it goes to '12. '13 and 14 not in there... I then did a search for 'Steering Position' having changed the vehicle to the '13 GT... and nope.

So... yeah. I'm thinking now you might just need to take it in. It might be in the EPAS? But that part shows good from '11-14, so I don't know if that's right... unless the sensor is ignored/not connected but otherwise the EPAS works, so superseded...?

Weird. Consistency. Ford doesn't have it..

You could go to a dealer parts place and inquire the fische, it'll show the sensor right there.

Old 3/1/21, 08:37 AM

Dang Man Thanks. This is NUTS. Two spots in the column behind the Clock Spring are both empty. So maybe they put the sensor in the EPS under the car. Watch I have to by a whole new Rack.
Old 3/1/21, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 1,065 Posts
before you go down that rabbit hole, check the other thread that I linked . . . could be completely off base, but if you have a shorted wire problem, nothing else is going to fix it
Old 3/1/21, 10:46 AM

Rite, but now I what too know where is the Sensor lol ???
Old 3/2/21, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Gonna have to get the manual, or go to the dealer parts, I'm guessin'.
Old 3/7/21, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, I went diving, as I had another thread that had me going regarding Ford and their running changes. I got a '14 manual and the answer is right there.

The '13 and '14 do not have this sensor. It's in the EPAS system. From the manual (pertinent text in bold):
Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) System

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system provides power steering assist to the driver by replacing the conventional hydraulic valve system with an electric motor coupled to the steering rack by a toothed belt. The motor is controlled by the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) that senses steering effort/use through an internally mounted steering shaft torque sensor. Steering assist is provided in proportion to the steering input effort and vehicle speed.

The EPAS system requires a 12-volt, hot at all times feed for system operation. The PSCM is activated when power is applied to the hard-wired ignition/run input. After activation, the PSCM monitors the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) bus to determine if the vehicle is operating in a manner capable of supporting the EPAS system.

Once this is determined, vehicle speed sent by the PCM over the HS-CAN bus, steering shaft speed and direction sent by the steering shaft torque sensor and steering wheel angle/position determined by the motor position all provide the necessary information for the PSCM to determine the amount or level of assist provided by the EPAS system.

Assist is primarily based off of vehicle speed. As vehicle speed increases, the amount of assist provided by the system is decreased to improve and enhance road feel at the steering wheel. As vehicle speed decreases, the amount of assist provided by the system is increased to ease vehicle maneuvering. If the vehicle speed is missing or out of range, the PSCM defaults to a safe level of assist for all driving conditions. If the vehicle speed returns to the correct in-range values, the PSCM adjusts the level of assist accordingly. Steering wheel/shaft speed, torque and direction information allows the PSCM to determine how much assist is needed to turn the wheels right and left.

The PSCM continually monitors and adjusts steering efforts based on the torque sensor inputs to enhance the feel of the steering. Compensation is made to reduce the effect of pull or drift that may be experienced when driving on roads with a high degree of camber. Active nibble control is also employed by the PSCM to reduce the vibrating movement felt at the steering wheel that can be caused by driving on rough surfaces or out of balance wheels.

The PSCM is self-monitoring and has the capability of setting and storing DTCs. Depending on the DTC set, the control module enters into a "safe mode" of manual steering. In addition, the PSCM may send a request to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) module over the HS-CAN bus to display a message in the message center to alert the driver of a potential EPAS concern.

So basically, math is used, and no sensor on the column is required, hence the 'missing' sensor in the column. The entire thing is done in the steering rack. And the steering rack has the PSCM integrated into the body. With the sensors.

In other words, you need a new rack to replace the sensor. Great. Although I'm sure you could probably take it apart and figure out what's happening, but that's the deal: Entire rack for a sensor, looks like. If it's not a bad wiring issue, like corroded wires to the EPAS or from the battery... bad grounds... please do check for those first. It may save you lots of money and things.

I hope this new information helps in some way, even though I hate what I found for you. Good luck.

Last edited by houtex; 3/7/21 at 05:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by houtex:
Aibarra24 (1/13/24), SpectreH (3/7/21)
Old 1/13/24, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Ok, I went diving, as I had another thread that had me going regarding Ford and their running changes. I got a '14 manual and the answer is right there.

The '13 and '14 do not have this sensor. It's in the EPAS system. From the manual (pertinent text in bold):

So basically, math is used, and no sensor on the column is required, hence the 'missing' sensor in the column. The entire thing is done in the steering rack. And the steering rack has the PSCM integrated into the body. With the sensors.

In other words, you need a new rack to replace the sensor. Great. Although I'm sure you could probably take it apart and figure out what's happening, but that's the deal: Entire rack for a sensor, looks like. If it's not a bad wiring issue, like corroded wires to the EPAS or from the battery... bad grounds... please do check for those first. It may save you lots of money and things.

I hope this new information helps in some way, even though I hate what I found for you. Good luck.
Hello,
I am having the same issue however the message that pops up says "power steering assist fault" was also told it was the steering angle sensor. Did replacing the whole rack fix your issue?

Thank you.