[2005 Base] Clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/20, 07:18 AM
Jos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[2005 Base] Clutch pedal

Hello,

I own a 2005 Mustang Base.

When I push my clutch pedal down, I hear a squeaky sound and sometimes it's hard to get in first gear and reverse gear. Is there a clutch cable that needs to be readjustment?
Old 12/19/20, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
The 2005 Mustang's clutch has a hydraulic throwout bearing and there is no adjustment. However if the brake fluid is old/contaminated it may not be able to release the clutch fully, and cause this issue, less the squeak. The other issue is that your clutch is worn out, and that includes the squeak maybe. The squeaky sound is *probably* the throwout bearing moving on the input shaft, or within itself. One wonders how many miles are on the car...

Brake fluid is relatively easy, bleed the brakes and the clutch, and completely replace the fluid. Brakes first. Clutch last. That'd take care of it immediately if it's that. Although the squeak may still persist, that's not likely to be fluid related, but a lubrication/grease issue, and lack thereof somewhere, or a worn out part directly.

Clutch worn is... well, a clutch replacement. Get the ENTIRE kit: clutch, throwout, pilot bearing alignment tool. Highly recommend new flywheel as they're cheap for stock, and bonus, you can keep the old one and get it resurfaced at your leisure. Also highly recommend rear main seal of the engine be replaced as a 'since you're there' thing. You don't wanna pull the exhaust, transmission, clutch and flywheel out again just for that, do ya? Naw man. Replace it. Oh, and go learn about 100% whole wheat bread heel+hammer+bolt_electrical tape and bearing removal for the pilot bearing. It's hilarious but it works and it's just THAT kind of amazing. Proof: I did it. So good.

And after that... if it isn't those... well, you're looking into maybe the transmission, probably the input shaft, but maybe worse. One would hope it's not that.

I know that's not probably the answer(s) you wanted to hear, but definitely not an adjustment situation. I hope it helps anyway, and good luck!
Old 12/28/20, 10:11 AM
Jos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your answer/help. At the moment the squeaky sound has gone after daily driving the car for a week. Also I hadn't have any problems with first and reverse gear (but this problem was maybe once a month).

I will rest this "problem". If I hear the noise again or problems with the gears, I know what I can check.