General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

06 gt won’t start after intstallingaftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/21, 04:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy 06 gt won’t start after intstallingaftermarket parts

I bought the mustang and it drove and idled and everything
Soon after I got it I installed a Ford performance intake manifold, 62mm throttle body, and 47 lb fuel injectors

i had to buy a tuner too so I could tune the parts to the car
I contacted American muscle tuning and they sent me the tune I need and everything, I programmed the tune to the car and got ready to start it… the car will crank and crank and crank and finally turn on for like one second and if I don’t pump the gas it won’t turn on at all

I even contacted sct and they sent me a reflash to make it stock again, but the same thing happens
Old 6/5/21, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Did you upgrade the MAF (mass air flow sensor) along with the bigger injectors. That may be throwing it off.
also when you hit the gas you are essentially stopping the injectors from firing, I know it doesn't make sense but that's what happens. When this happens it will allow it to start but very rough idle and un-driveable. Does it spit out smoke and some fuel out when you get it started.

Last edited by Jaryd21; 6/5/21 at 05:21 PM.
Old 6/5/21, 05:53 PM

I just had a Miraculous discovery in my garage, I removed the custom tune American muscle gave me and retuned it to stock, after that I was able to make the car start after only one crank and run by keeping the gas pedal pressed down( it would not idle). I then realized something is probably wrong with the custom tune that they sent me, so I factory reset my tuner so I could use the engine preload tunes….
—with the engine preload tunes I could set a tune for the throttle body I have
—their was a preload tune for 42lb injectors but not 47lb(which I have) but used the tune for the 42lb injectors since that’s the highest they went
—and a preload tune for my k and n intake
I said @#$& it and put those tunes on the car and started it and it started fine and idled rough, but idled.

I just got back from driving it around the block, so I’m pretty stoked but I know I need to still get it properly tuned cause their is still no tune at all for the high performance intake manifold

and Jaryd21 no I didn’t upgrade the MAF
Old 6/5/21, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I was thinking that it might be the tune was off or maybe you missed something that the other guy did even if it was something small. The MAF sensor isn't the biggest deal but probably wouldn't hurt to get one with the bigger injectors.
The following users liked this post:
Jfuzzyman (6/5/21)
Old 6/5/21, 07:08 PM

yea but why did American muscle tuning send me the wrong tune?
mabey I answered a question wrong on the questionnaire for the tune…

I’m thinking I can do another questionnaire and make sure I fill every question out correctly 100%,

or do you think I should just take the car to a tuning shop somewhere?

Old 6/5/21, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Double check your answers and if they are all correct then I would see if you can get it tuned somewhere. Or I would call american muscle and talk to someone there and explain what's going on they might have a tech there that can guide you. I don't think they would give you a hard time. They are usually pretty good with the tunes but who knows maybe a new guy there.
Old 6/7/21, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,028 Posts
American Muscle aka Bama has developed a reputation for providing not-very-good tunes lately, so not a big surprise that they provided a not-so-good tune

If you don't mind spending a little more money (money well spent in my opinion) you could try "Lito" -- he does remote tuning using datalogs, and is known as the "3V whisperer" . . . I am not sure if it is OK to post his info in open forum, but I'll PM it to you, if you are interested. (it has been posted before, a search should find it, if you don't want to wait for the Private Message)

meanwhile, I'd drive the car very easy (or not at all) -- avoid lugging the engine and avoid full throttle high RPM, until you get the tune sorted

just wondering -- why the change to 47 lb injectors?
Old 6/7/21, 02:02 PM

Dang American muscle lol, I think what I’ll end up doing is taking it to a tuning shop though, it’s called all out tuning it’s literally what they do is just tune cars.
But I changed to 47lb injectors just because I thought it would be appropriate for the Ford high performance intake manifold, and 62mm throttle body combination…and also the spray pattern on the old ones was a little funky.
Old 6/7/21, 02:06 PM

”All out tuning” in Phoenix AZ I don’t know if anybody knows about them
Old 6/7/21, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am not familiar with them; make sure they are familiar with Mustangs, not an "import" shop

A dyno tune is generally the best, but depends on the skill of the tuner (just like anything else) and can get pricey if it takes a bunch of runs to get it dialed
Jaryd21 (6/15/21)
Old 6/15/21, 07:52 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I would suspect the Bama tune as well. I would try to start with a local tuner if you can find one. You might reachcout to a local Mustang group and see if they can recommend a local reliable tuner for your car. Otherwise maybe contact Lund, Steeda, or JDM Engineering. Not sure who to recommend as I have not used one, but those have come up on the site before as good.
The following 2 users liked this post by shaneyusa:
Jaryd21 (6/15/21), Jfuzzyman (6/15/21)
Old 6/15/21, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I would suspect the Bama tune as well. I would try to start with a local tuner if you can find one. You might reachcout to a local Mustang group and see if they can recommend a local reliable tuner for your car. Otherwise maybe contact Lund, Steeda, or JDM Engineering. Not sure who to recommend as I have not used one, but those have come up on the site before as good.
yes sir I already have an appointment with “American Elite” in Phoenix AZ, they said that tuning the car and everything will be a total of 700$... it will be worth it though.
Old 6/15/21, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

$700 should be enough to cover a bunch of dyno runs and a really good tune, let us know how it turns out
Old 6/15/21, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
$700 should be enough to cover a bunch of dyno runs and a really good tune, let us know how it turns out
yep that’s what they said they are going to do, my appointment is in July but I will let you know
Old 6/15/21, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hmmmm . . . that's a long time . . . . you might consider giving Lito a shot in the meantime
Old 6/15/21, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Must be a national shortage of tuners. And dyno time.
Bert (6/16/21)
Old 11/29/21, 11:42 AM

Hey guys my bad it took me so long to respond but I got it tuned to a street tune, and it is running really good .
Bert (11/29/21)
Old 11/29/21, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

thanks for the update . . . just wondering if it was anything in particular in the tune that was needed? or just a general "tune up" ?
Old 11/30/21, 07:26 AM

Yea because when I was trying to tune it myself with the Baja tuner, there was no option for 47lb fuel injectors or an option for the Ford high performance intake manifold. So when I brought it to the tuner he was able to put the correct tune and the mustang runs so much smoother now. 400$ later lol
Bert (11/30/21)
Old 11/30/21, 08:23 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,606 Posts
Did you purchase the Ford intake manifold and 47lb injectors along with the tuning device from American Muscle/Bama? If you did purchase the aftermarket parts from them, they should had at the very least uploaded a tuning file in the programmer for both the injectors and intake manifold.. But then again, who knows if the tuning parameters would had been dialed-in properly anyhow. When it comes to e-mail tuning vendors, I had nothing but problems with AM/BAMA and also with Brenspeed.

That being said, if for whatever reason your not able to afford having your car tuned by a local tuner on the dyno, I would only trust reputable tuning vendors such as Lund Racing, VMP performance, JDM engineering and especially Lito who's considered the 3v guru.

Quick Reply: 06 gt won’t start after intstallingaftermarket parts