Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

Search Quirk

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/05, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say I do a search on something like "FIND AND THIS", which finds all posts with both FIND and THIS in the text.

I'll get a result window with a url like this:

Long URL, click it to see...

Note the last element in the parameter fields of the submit is: "&highlite=find+and+this"

I'll get a list of subjects with those words in it. All great so far.

The problem is, each link to a subject also has that "&hl=find+and+this" and the end of it, so when I click on a subject the board churns through and returns me a page with every instance of "find" and "this" hilighted. It takes a LONG time.

For example, that search yields a topic "FAQ: 6 to 8 Conversion".

Clicking on this link, which has the hilighting, takes more than a minute to come up, in fact timed out so I couldn't get to the page:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...l=find,and,this

The next link, which is the same subject minus the highlighting, comes up in under a second:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=3680

Seems it would be less resource impact on the board/site itself, and easier searching for users, if the highlighting option were simply removed. Any of us can do a text search in a page for something we're looking for so it isn't like some great functionality is lost.

With concerns about people not searching before posting a question or duplicate topic, thought making the search as easy and quick as possible would make the entire board run smoother.
Old 12/15/05, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That first link in my previous post no longer works, but the last two do. Both go to the same post, one with hilighting. One waaaaay slower.

The problem is still there. Don't you want to make the search as friendly to the user and as low stress on the server as possible?