Testing, Help, Site Feedback and Suggestions Test vBulletin's Features and Tell Us What You Like and Don't Like and Offer Suggestions for Improvement

idea for the language filters

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/05, 12:20 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, GrantsDale, there are times when I wish just for you the language filters would not be in place, like right now.

BACK UP, read what I said. I SAID, the reason the ORIGNIAL poster was chastised, and I used the instances in this thread as an example of bypassing the filters. So, breathe that little sigh of yours back in, ok?

As for the regular posters, you dont think they would say something if it bothered them? No one started the complaining until YOU decided to bring it into the spotlight. I think its just stirring the pot, and creating issues where there was none previously.

Ben, to be honest, your little link is inciting problems, its not a simple "Check out this thread in Site FeedBack" If they dont think too much about it, why bring it up at all? Do you see how that is just asking for trouble? I would have actually waited for Brad to respond before putting that in a sig. Its not like this is a time sensitive issue, why the rush?
Old 2/28/05, 12:36 AM
GT Member

too true, its gone until brad gives the ok - I'm not bringing this up to "stir the pot", I genuinely have a problem with censorship. Where does it end? How can you say su*ks is wrong to say or read? I'm surprised you can say god or jesus christ without it being edited. surely the "moral majority" has more of a problem with me saying that than "the wait sure su*ks" I wonder, whats with the fear of change? don't want more work to do? (can't blame you) whats the problem you have with me wanting to be free to say or read what I want, Jess? whether I write f*** or some silly little baby talk alternative, it doesn't change the intent, or the feeling behind the statement - it just makes it more palatable for small-minded ppl. Fearing certain words because they are "wrong" or "bad" isn't just superstitous- its stupid. thats what ppl. did in the dark ages, for god's sake. I've altered my sig bc i don't want to make trouble for/with you guys - I just want to bring to your attention that there are ppl that still want to say what they want to say. My message - if you want to be able to turn the filter off on your computer - you should be able to.

btw - what problems has my little sig change already caused? it's been 20 minutes. personally, i find it very odd that you would be so opposed to me speaking my mind on an OPEN FORUM
Old 2/28/05, 01:09 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

None of this has anything to do with my personal opinion. I frankly think this entire debate is pointless. Brad wants things a certain way, and thats the way it is going to be.

You really want to start a "slippery slope" discussion? Do you not think that it can go both ways? Where does the line get drawn for offensive language? Example, my daughter used the alternative to "stinks" to her doctor, in the context that he was telling her the treatment plan he was outlining was going to be painful. He spent 20 minutes admonishing her as to its offensiveness. I think erring on the side of caution is the safest thing to do.

If you have such an issue with censorship, why havent we heard from you before this? Because it didnt bother you then, or because you just noticed it? If using the baby talk alternative doesnt change the intent, why is it a problem to do it? We are not catering to any moral majority, simply supporting the site owners decisions. I dont see how anything I have said would imply I fear change, what I fear is the slippery slope this would create.

I should have used "inciteful" instead of "inciting". Your sig hadnt caused any issues, however, its tone, language and font were done in a way to shed a negative light on it. I dont mind you speaking your mind, what I have issue with is the manner in which you decide to speak it. Again, NO ONE had issue with this, not even the original poster, until GrantsDale decided to rant about it, then you picked up the ball.

But, to be perfectly honest, I am so tired of the back and forth and round and round on this issue, I am bowing out. Brad is aware, and Brad will make his decisions. I personally think it much more respectful to Brad to not post publicly about personal discontent with site administration, but to PM him. That gets my hackles up every time, and it always will. I originally got into this to make that point, and it spun out from there. Asking for a site modification is one thing, but to openly and negatively question what an owner does with his site is at minimum disrespectful.
Old 2/28/05, 01:28 AM
GT Member

well, considering his original reply to my question was to go to a different forum, I think disrespect is his language. I didn't start this for the slippery slope, I started it bc I thought there might be a better way to run the filter. He tells me to go to a different forum, and you criticize me for posting a suggestion in your suggestion forum. thats just sad. when ppl. complain to ford about problems they have with their cars, do you think they say "go buy a chevy"? If you don't want to change it, fine - i didn't think it would be this big a deal for you.
As to why am I bringing it up now? well, for starters bc I didn't know there WAS a forum for suggestions (something I mentioned earlier in this thread) until you pointed it out to Grantsdale. but after I found out about this forum, i thought I would mention how silly I thought it was to ban su*cks and not go after the hundreds of people who are just plain rude to each other on a daily basis, with or without swearing. If you want me to PM you or Brad, then why even have this forum? In fact, tell you what - edit any one of my posts. its easy for you to do. Any criticism, negative input, or just plain disrespect I've uttered - delete it. But if you do, please be sure and do it to everyone else's posts - think you're tired now? how long would that take you to do, including yours, Brad's, and the other admins?
I'll talk about this subject with anyone who wants to, but you can't convince me that its such a huge deal to add one little feature to the forum, or that ANYONE who's posted in this thread so far (except Lalo -he's cool) isn't guilty of being disrespectful.
PS - I would never let my child's doctor admonish my child for 20 minutes for using that word - thats ridiculous for him to do.
Old 2/28/05, 05:48 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Several words in the filters are there to reduce personal attacks rather than to filter cursing.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions for making the site more enjoyable for its members, but I'm not going to budge on this issue. I searched Invisionize.com last night for a modification that would allow you to choose whether you wanted to use the filters or not, and there wasn't one listed. I do believe this topic has been discussed to death, so I'm closing the thread. PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 2/28/05, 06:12 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I know my opinion is just that . . . my opinion, but I wanted to post my opinion about this topic.

First off . . .let me state that I have gotten into confrontations with others on this site, and I’ve been wrong on certain topics, and admitted being wrong. I am not perfect and do not try to be on a high ‘moral authority’. On a personal note . . I do cuss, I drink, smoke from time-to-time, and in general been known to ‘act a fool’ on many occasions. Why am I stating this? Because I just want to try and make clear ‘I’m not perfect’.

Now on this cussing issue. There are forums I cuss in from time to time. And usually in a non-filtered forum there are those who take advantage of the ability to cuss and the threads get inundated with F-bombs, MF-Bombs, S-bombs, etc. Now, since I don’t frequent many forums, I’m sure there are some (forums) out there with the ability to post cuss/swear words, AND the entire audience is civil and there aren’t any problems. I too enjoy free speech, and do understand those opinions who disagree with the Language Filters. That being said, I also understand that some times people take advantage of the situation, and I feel that once something (the ability to cuss) gets started it will be hard to stop, and it may turn certain threads into something akin to a ‘Political Thread’, and we all know how those topics end up . . . usually.

I equate my thinking to this (scary) . . .instead of the language becoming an issue as the TMS has grown, the rules have been set in place since Day 1. And even though there are some words that may not directly fall under the radar of a cuss/swear word, they do not fit with the general “feel” of this site. And I enjoy coming to this site and reading/learning not only about Mustangs, but also about the other members. I enjoy that the posts aren’t burdened with cuss/swear words. To me what’s the difference in typing the actually word, as opposed to S**t, or A**, or F***? In that manner I type the words and I am my own filter. I also don’t feel this is a violation of the language filter.

Like I said I’m not perfect, I do understand,, and I’ve take action as my own person to be a filter (though I’ve been caught a few times by the program ).