Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Spinning noise

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/21, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Spinning noise

Hey guys hope you can help me out.... sometimes when I push my clutch in or even have it in neutral and rev my motor I hear something spinning and when I'm driving and turn sometimes I hear it then and it sounds like it's hitting something when it spins..... can anyone tell me what it might be.... maybe throw out bearing or pilot bearing... clutch? Flywheel?
Old 3/20/21, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...1/#post7060270

So '05-09 GT, manual, got it.

Hm. That's quite the bit of things going on, somewhat related in ways, and yet not...

The first two, clutch in *or* neutral *and* revving spinning noise could be the throwout, or the clutch (maybe a one side of the disc's material's let go and is loose..?) or the input shaft... dunno. That one you'd put up in the air and have a helper push the clutch in and out while you listen and figure out where it's comin' from.

The other one, the driving/turning and spinning and(/or?) smacking of things happening... that's maybe a front wheel hitting the inner fender or something maybe, unless you're sure it's coming from the same area as the above..

The question is are you moving during any of this or are you stationary for the first two? Because that changes things a bit for me.

If moving only, well, check your splash shields and fender shields. Mine came loose on one side and caused a rubbing only moving at turns on the right side. For some reason I never knew it until I rubbed a nice chunk outta the thing. Doesn't hurt anything, put some more push pins in and solved... if ugly. Had to get a new splash shield set though, but cheap enough at Rock Auto. The fender one I haven't, but one day probably. Still, weirdest thing, only on turns, at speed, and never could pinpoint. Thought it was a bearing, but it didn't sound like it. Anyway, maybe that.

That won't solve the clutching issue, though, but it would solve the moving one.

For the clutching/neutral/revving and not moving... not much else it can be than the above. But if moving, then the driveshaft and the engine/transmission mounts might be needing to be checked, as well as, silly as this sounds, wheel bearings and/or suspension. Loading/unloading can change things quite a bit, so if movement is needed and it doesn't show up while stationary, more things get involved with it. Even the axle could be a thing.

Mostly, even after sayin' all that, I'd just be getting it on a lift... and I'd recommend an alignment rack with an axle lift on it. This is because you'd want to get the rear wheels off the rack, and have the axle at normal ride height, yet wheels off the ground. Can't do that easily with a frame lift. You could do it at the house on jack stands, but I dunno if I wanna crawl under a car with wheels and driveshaft flailing about. Yeppers, the alignment rack is the one for me, lemme tell ya... wait, I think I just did... anyway, chock the fronts, jack that axle up... maybe even 'shim' up the front somehow so the car's wheels are level and off the rack... and then 'drive' it while it's up in the air and find out what's going on. Probably find it right away.

Or however you can do it. Ride height is important. Having the wheels droop may not let the thing happen. Or not, maybe it shows up droopily too, I don't know. Cars do strange things sometimes, 'cause humans, right? Right.

Whelp, anyway, I do hope that helps, and good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 3/20/21 at 05:25 PM.
Old 3/20/21, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Yes it helps thank you.... it gives me places to start looking
Old 3/22/21, 01:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
if the sound comes and goes when you press and release the clutch then i would replace the throw out bearing but depending on mileage you might want to look at the clutch while you have it apart...i had issues with my '98gt where it would throw the car into neutral when shifted to third or it would just lock me out..another things that makes alot of noise is the ford power steering pump they whine and whine and whine...my '14 hasn't started making noises yet except for a slight exhaust leak that goes away after 2 minutes but congrats on the purchase
Old 3/22/21, 09:02 AM
GT Member

They said it had a new clutch put in 10,000 miles ago but they didn't change anything else... but I'm still having the clutch looked at and might get a better one
Old 3/22/21, 11:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
bearings can be bad right from the factory,i remember working in a factory and changing a $1500 bearing 4 times in 1 day.... it was just a manufacturing defect..but being in maintenance department i was starting to question myself but when we sent the bad ones back they determined that it was on their end not ours....but like i said it could be a number of things if the noise goes away when you press and let the clutch pedal go than it's a the throw out bearing hence the name they are made to just toss'em but there is also a pilot bearing as well, good luck in the quest
Old 3/22/21, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts

While it's hoped the new stuff is good to go and all, plenty of times, it ain't. Have had a few of those m'self, the most recent was the motor to fix the throttle body. Then again, it *was* a Dorman, so... yeah.