Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

passenger side fuel sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/19, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passenger side fuel sending unit

what exactly is the purpose of the fuel sending unit on the passenger side of the gas tank? I have already replaced the fuel pump but still having spratic fuel issues
Old 6/17/19, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Howdy!

It'd help if you detailed more about what's going on, kinda shooting in the dark with a big ol' shotgun on what this might be... But given the description and assuming a 2005-up Mustang with saddle bag tanks, the passenger side sender is exactly that: Fuel sender for the fuel gauge. Part of its design is to also be the right side fuel pick up which gets sent to the left side fuel pump via the hose between the sender and the pump.

I'm sure you know some of or maybe all this, but still... doesn't hurt to say it, I'd hope. Your issues can be summed up in a generic way (fuel issues):

Fuel pump or fuel pump pickup blockage.
Sender pickup or crossover tube blockage
Fuel Filter needs replacement
Fuel pressure/temp sensor issues.
Injector issues (one or more)
Fuel Pump Driver Module issues (located in trunk, it 'drives' the fuel pump)
Throttle Pedal Sensor. Recalibrate (turn car on, do not start, step on accelerator, slowly push to the floor within 5 seconds, release, start car.)
Throttle Body is dirty. This will act like a small bit of fuel starving. Clean it, and recalibrate the computer (disconnect battery, service throttle body, reconnect battery, go drive in normal traffic streets up to 50 MPH for 10 minutes, done. Do the throttle pedal too.)
Air cleaner needs replacing.
Exhaust is clogged, likely one or more catalytic converters plugged itself, possibly due to fuel getting in the exhaust and burning in the cats.
Engine conputer is mad/bad.

I think that's it...

Some of this will need a good Scantool to diagnose. Might want to anyway, as it will fairly quickly, in the right hands, point right to the problem instead of throwing parts (and time and effort and money) at the issue. If you don't have/can't get a scantool, well... A good shop is needed then.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck. And welcome to the forums!