Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Hello everybody

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/18, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello everybody

Hello from the Seattle, WA area.

I'm a first-time mustang owner as of 3 months ago - purchased it on 12/12/2017. I'm a life-long gear head and traditionally a chevy truck man who came close to owning some fantastic mustangs over the years but could never connect. Now at 45 and 3 years of planning I finally have one, and I will never let it go.

2017 GT Premium in Grabber Blue - 6-spd manual
Essentially stock everything, which means 3.31 LSD, 14"/13" disk brakes with 4/1 piston calipers, and the a-typical 18" wheels, and "ok" pirelli tires.

Plans so far?:
* Dyno this car for a baseline
* Cat-back Magnaflow Competition install to delete the resonator and make this car sound like it's supposed to
* 2-stage power pack intake upgrade from ford performance
* Another trip to the dyno
* Later a suspension upgrade, wheels, tires, brakes down the road a bit when I can
* Much later: supercharger

Things I'm wondering about:
* First dumb question: What do do about a spare tire? It came with the inflator. Not crazy about that.
* Differential center section - is a swap worth it to 3.73 with torsen or should I stick with 3.31's?
* What type of suspension upgrades should I be wondering about? I want better corner handling. I like the stance, but ok with a minimal drop for the necessary setup.

Things I don't like:
* Videos posted on youtube where mustang owner complain about what they "hate" about their mustangs.
* This "resonator" thing under the car, which some are calling an "H-pipe".
* The attitude I get from Toyota Prius, Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV owners on the highway

For now I'm learning the basics, and having a blast driving it around. So thanks for having me!
Attached Thumbnails Hello everybody-image3.jpeg  
Old 3/20/18, 10:15 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Congrats on your first pony!
Old 3/20/18, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Welcome to TMS, congrats & good luck with the new ride..
Old 3/20/18, 12:53 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Congrats on your first Mustang and welcome to TMS.
Old 3/20/18, 07:50 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I worried about not having a spare tire for awhile, but soon forgot about it. I have had my car for almost 7 years and have never needed a spare. Come to think of it, I have only used a spare tire once in over 30 years of driving. I just keep good tires on my cars.
Old 3/20/18, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Welcome to the forum. I worried about not having a spare tire for awhile, but soon forgot about it. I have had my car for almost 7 years and have never needed a spare. Come to think of it, I have only used a spare tire once in over 30 years of driving. I just keep good tires on my cars.
I thought pretty much the same thing until I hit a giant pothole with the car I used as a trade-in for the mustang a little over a year ago. Lovely Seattle streets. I pretty much thanked my lucky stars I had a spare because I couldn't pull over right away. I had to cross a bridge then take the next exit. By the time I got off the road I had ruined the tire. An inflator aint going to cut it then. That happened just over a year ago, so it still being fresh in my memory makes me look at this inflator a little sidways.
Old 3/21/18, 07:04 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
The spare tire well in the trunk won't fit a full size spare if you have 19" wheels and my car didn't come with a jack. I figure if I have a flat I am calling a tow truck to avoid tearing up one of my wheels. On the gear swap only you can decide if it is worth it or not. It depends on wheel/tire size and how you intend to use the car. I have a 3:55 gear set in my 2011 and have been happy with it for street/track use.
Old 3/24/18, 08:04 PM
Awesome Supercharged * HPP 6-Speed Tms Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sweet! Awsome color!

Your car is very capable ... I'd go for the Perf. Pack wheels/tires first. They look killer.

How much is a trip to the dyno?

For a spare - I just net surfed, and found a good deal at a dealer in MN. It was $250 delivered.
The 19x8.5 will be a chore to fit into the trunk, but they (*one*) will fit in the trunk. Note, if
you upgrade to Brembo brakes ... the factory spare will not fit over them.
I bought the spare *after* the road took the life of a 1 year old Pirelli Sottozero (so, beefy
new treads) via a cut the goo/pump were useless on.

Haven't needed it yet, but I know that unless I get two (or more) flats at once, I can
continue my journey without really having to stop - wait for the tow service to take it
somewhere, (I've waited for the three a's more than once, for more than
two hours ...), then hope that somewhere is a tire shop, and open, and has the right tire in
stock, and there is not a long wait.