Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Another New guy, apologies to the old timers in the forum

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/07, 02:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Another New guy, apologies to the old timers in the forum

I guess Mustangs are the most popular sportscars in the U.S. Seems a whole lot of people, me included, have bought one recently.

I picked up a 2008 GT Deluxe, Dark Candy Red about a week ago. This is my first Mustang. Previously owned 3 generations of Camaros. Mine is pretty stripped down, I don't like leather, ear-splitting stereos or other options that I just won't use. I wanted the V8, 5 Speed and Dark Candy Red paint and that's about it.

Why I bought one...
Well GM no longer makes anything I want to drive and two
the styling of the 05 and up Mustangs is awesome. It has all the
cues of my favorite mustang generations particularly the front end.

Anyway I've owned pony cars before (just not from Ford) so I know I'm going to need a bit of advice here and there so that's why I'm here.
Old 10/22/07, 05:00 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
welcome .. you see ,,if gm would quit dragging their feet with the new camaro you may have gotten one .. but we`re glad you saw the light and converted
Old 10/22/07, 05:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome - you will find lots of members who are willing to help with questions, etc,
Old 10/22/07, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to TMS! I once drove a Z28 and now a Vista Blue GT. No problem
Old 10/22/07, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Jim,

Welcome to this site. It's my favorite Mustang forum. Considering I'm a Chevy guy (some things never change), that's saying something. I still own two third gen Camaros. Although one is in the process of being sold, I plan on keeping my '87 Z convertible for the rest of my life. Oh, I also moderate the Convertible and History/Restoration forums at thirdgen.org. Been doing this since these forums came on line in 1999 when the site was revampted..... You may recognize my username. It's the same here as it is there.

I totally agree with you on GM not having anything "interesting" any more. I don't like any of their current offerings and I REALLY like the current Mustang. It reminds me of my first and second cars I owned; a '69 Mach I and a '70 Boss 302.

What I find very interesting about the S197 is all the similarities between it and my third gen Camaros. There's only one thing I don't like about these Mustangs. They have huge tires (27-inches tall) and their ride height is relatively high. When I get into my IROC-Z, I have to "slide" in, similar to a Corvette. In my Mustang, I get in like it was my mom's Camry. Once in the IROC-Z and look over to my '05 GT parked beside it, my eye height is very close to the top of the doors. That's how much lower my IROC-Z sits. Both cars' suspension is stock.

Except that it has huge tires and sits about six inches higher!! Gotta get rid of the prop rod though. What idiot invented this contraption? I'm glad Chevy never hired him...!!

Also glad to see another Arizonan here.
Old 10/23/07, 12:33 AM
GT Member

Smile

Thanks for the welcome!

Willie, you're right about the ride height. I park the 08 next to a 95 formula in the driveway and it's about 4 inches higher than the bird roof to roof. The formula is totally stock too with 16" wheels and Goodyear directional rubber.

I'm still trying to get over the "newness" of the 08. But gradually I'm starting to poke around it to see what's up. One thing for sure, it looks to be a whole lot easier to get to things like the fuel rail and injectors. I drove my 96 V6 Camaro for more than 10 years and the one thing I hated doing on that car (just one thing?) was pulling the injectors and fuel rail.

One carryover from the classic mustangs I can see is the very tight engine compartment. Also seems strange that the valve covers are so huge. The look like they belong on a 428CJ or something. I guess it has to do with the way the valves and spark plugs are arranged.

I don't plan a lot of mods as it's my replacement daily driver. I just want to keep it in good shape and have some fun with it. I used to be over on the V6Fbody forums for a few years but they kind of went away recently. I had to do a lot of work on the Camaro myself because I couldn't afford to do anything else. One thing I can say for the old Camaro is that it was the easiest water pump I ever changed on anything. Doesn't look that way on the GT but I plan to make sure problems like that are the dealer's problem.
Old 10/23/07, 02:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome to TMS!