Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

2014 Mustang Convertible New Canadian Mustang Owner Please Advise Winter Driving!

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/23, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mustang Convertible New Canadian Mustang Owner Please Advise Winter Driving!

‘14 V6 premium convertible
was a hand down from a relative in Florida (I live in Canada) so I had to fly to Florida and drive it down to Canada.
208k KM but it’s actually in amazing condition, no rust anywhere no major scratches or any rust, no major problems as a whole (coolant leak was the most major that’s happened) as a Canadian that’s un heard of for a daily vehicle
Now I don’t plan on storing it I’m gonna daily all year round in south western Canada because I’m not balling enough yet to have 2 cars lmao
but yeah super excited anyone here winter drive their S197? If so is there any tips or anything to prepare for cause I know it’s gonna be a fun ride 😂

Old 10/8/23, 01:43 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Welcome!

You Are the Forth Convertible Owner in a Row To Sign On! It's Pretty Slow Here Online During The Weekend But We Do Have Some Canadians on the Forum That Maybe Able to give You Some Winter Pointers! Along With Some Other U.S. Drivers in the More Severe Weather Area's! I'm in Central California So Year Round Driving is Available To Me!

Should Get Some Feedback For You on Monday!

I Will Defer To Their Comments On the Driving!

Beautiful Car!

I'm Gonna Expand Your Title a Bit For You and See How It Goes!

Mgb,

KC
The following users liked this post:
Byso (10/8/23)
Old 10/10/23, 11:00 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
I Don't Know What Has Happened to Our Regulars! Must Be a New Holiday I Don't Know About! Must Be Mothball time For The Stangs On the Other Side of The Country! Nice & Sunny in California! Usually a Friendly Bunch To New Members!

KC
Byso (10/28/23)
Old 10/10/23, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
welcome to the forum, from Massachusetts in northeastern US.... I drove my 2010 Mustang GT through several winters here in Massachusetts, and it wasn't as bad as some people think. It was a lot better than the one-wheel-drive Olds 442 that I drove through the Blizzard of '78, LOL

I would be a little concerned about the convertible top, out in the winter weather in Canada. Be very careful breaking, scraping or ripping ice off of it, because it might be stuck and take a piece of the top with it.

For driving in the snow: get a good set of real snow tires, preferably mounted on a set of cheap wheels, so you can change them easily in the spring and fall. You probably know more about snow tires for your location than I do; you might even want studs. When selecting a snow tire size, go a little narrower and a little taller than your current tires, if you can find that size (I don't know what tire size you have now).

Some people like to put some weight in the trunk; I have seen suggestions that two 40-pound sand bags work great. I have never added weight in my trunk, because it seems self-defeating to me-- yes you have more weight on the rear tires, but you also have more weight in the car to start and stop. And just be careful with the throttle, like always in the snow, and it should be fine. Rear wheel drive is a lot more fun than front wheel drive in the snow.

But with deep snow, like over about 4" on the road, you will have ground clearance problems; it's not good for deep snow due to ground clearance, not so much because of traction.
Byso (10/28/23)
Old 10/10/23, 04:06 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,138 Likes on 817 Posts
Welcome TMS! Nice looking '14 Vert! Even with the miles it is still looking to be in great shape. Can't give you any info on driving your Mustang in the winter months. I have a 4x4 daily that I use anything but sunny dry days. Mine gets really babied. I know @DarrenGT was from up that way. Maybe he will chime in with some tips for winter driving in western Canada.
Byso (1/12/24)
Old 10/10/23, 04:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Welcome TMS! Nice looking '14 Vert! Even with the miles it is still looking to be in great shape. Can't give you any info on driving your Mustang in the winter months. I have a 4x4 daily that I use anything but sunny dry days. Mine gets really babied. I know @DarrenGT was from up that way. Maybe he will chime in with some tips for winter driving in western Canada.
I've always had a daily 4x4 for the winter. I had a 2013 Convertible that never saw snow, back in Vancouver area. In Edmonton now with a Mach 1 with cup 2's. will never see snow.
If you can, get studded snow tires. The always leave enough time to stop. Regularly drive through the car wash with an underspray to clear off any salt.

Good luck and enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by DarrenGT:
Byso (10/30/23), shaneyusa (10/10/23)
Old 10/10/23, 08:32 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
I'm also in the daily 4x4 category during the winter months here in southwestern, PA. Meanwhile, welcome aboard!
Byso (10/28/23)