Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

2003 Roush 380R

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/13, 12:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it bother you that your interior plaque says "OHC" instead of "DOHC"?
Old 6/16/13, 01:26 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylar
It shouldn't. Because its a SOHC.

Roush Industries is one of the world’s largest automotive design and development companies. Combine that with the world’s most successful pony car and you have a package that’s worth a closer look.

The Roush 380R is an update of the 360R. Refinement of the Roush-engineered supercharged 4.6-Liter V8 now results in 379 horsepower, which is rounded up to 380 for the name. In the front the 380R wears an unmistakable fascia and hood borrowed from the Roush Stage 3 Mustang, while the Stage 3 style wing out back sets the 380R off from its factory GT cousin.

All in all, except for its modest badging and optional ‘‘nostalgia stripe’’ the 380R is surprisingly understated. It isn’t until one goes under the hood that the old Roush magic becomes apparent. Ford’s single overhead cam 4.6 liter V8 is dismantled to the bare block and every component brought up to Roush specifications. The addition of the Roots-type supercharger, air- to-water intercooler, Roush intake and air flow sensor as well as free flowing exhaust result in 379 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque, with the latter at only 3,000 rpm. That makes this pony car extremely potent at launch, yet still very drivable at cruise.
Old 6/16/13, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi, first thanks for your service. Congrats and welcome. Great fine on your car.
Old 6/16/13, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, I am going to rock my 380R and I am going to rock it hard.
The rarity of this car alone makes me giddy.
Old 6/16/13, 02:47 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Welcome to TMS. Great, great car!
Old 6/16/13, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by That380Rguy

Nope, I am going to rock my 380R and I am going to rock it hard.
The rarity of this car alone makes me giddy.
I meant it was a typo. I thought it should say "DOHC", but instead It's supposed to say "SOHC".
Old 6/16/13, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

First of all, thank you for your service to our country. Second, awesome find! Rare to find one especially one that's not abused in some way.
Old 6/16/13, 09:28 PM

I meant it was a typo. I thought it should say "DOHC", but instead It's supposed to say "SOHC".
But....it's not a typo?

OHC and SOHC are essentially the same thing, but there are differences.

OHC in general means OverHead Cam while SOHC means Single OverHead Cam or "Single Cam." In a SOHC engine the camshaft is installed in the cylinder head and valves are operated either by the rocker arms or directly through the lifters. The advantage is that valves are operated almost directly by the camshaft, which makes it easy to achieve the perfect timing at high rpm. It's also possible to install three or four valves per cylinder. The disadvantage is that an OHC engine requires a timing belt or chain with related components, which is more complex and more expensive design.

SOHC = Push Rod V8
OHC = Modular V8 (my car)

Modular V8's are actually more efficient with more valves per cylinder you're able to push more air to the cylinders. Look at the cubic inches for the amount of power they were making at only 281 cubic inches vs 302 cubic inches for the old 5.0.

The first 2 years of production- '94 and '95 they had the 5.0
'96 they came out with the SOHC and DOHC 4.6
More commonly referred to as the 2V and 4V motors
96-98 2Vs are NPI (Non-power improved)
99-04 are PI motors (Power Improved)

Last edited by That380Rguy; 6/16/13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 6/16/13, 10:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a SOHC engine the camshaft is installed in the cylinder head and valves are operated either by the rocker arms or directly through the lifters. The advantage is that valves are operated almost directly by the camshaft, which makes it easy to achieve the perfect timing at high rpm. It's also possible to install three or four valves per cylinder. The disadvantage is that an OHC engine requires a timing belt or chain with related components, which is more complex and more expensive design.

SOHC = Push Rod V8
OHC = Modular V8 (my car)
Just for clarity, SOHC is not a pushrod. It has one overhead cam in each bank/head (2 cams total) as you described in the paragraph. Like the old 427 cammer, your 4.6L2V engine, and the 4.6L3V (05-10).

While an SOHC can be called an OHC, most OHC's are 4V's requiring DOHC's (4 cams total). Ford's use of finger followers has allowed them to extend the reach of the cam lobe to both intake and exhaust valves, thereby needing only 2 overhead camshafts total for some engines. Pretty innovative for the 3V having 2 intakes/1 exhaust valve. So the SOHC designation just clarifies its not the typical DOHC. But OHC is acceptable also as with your Roush dash plaque.

A pushrod engine (OHV) has the cam in the block, just above the crank, attached with a chain. Therefore, they need 'pushrods'.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/16/13 at 10:25 PM.
Old 6/17/13, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Just for clarity, SOHC is not a pushrod. It has one overhead cam in each bank/head (2 cams total) as you described in the paragraph. Like the old 427 cammer, your 4.6L2V engine, and the 4.6L3V (05-10).

While an SOHC can be called an OHC, most OHC's are 4V's requiring DOHC's (4 cams total). Ford's use of finger followers has allowed them to extend the reach of the cam lobe to both intake and exhaust valves, thereby needing only 2 overhead camshafts total for some engines. Pretty innovative for the 3V having 2 intakes/1 exhaust valve. So the SOHC designation just clarifies its not the typical DOHC. But OHC is acceptable also as with your Roush dash plaque.

A pushrod engine (OHV) has the cam in the block, just above the crank, attached with a chain. Therefore, they need 'pushrods'.

Thanks man, I type that really late last night, but I still learned something, that's what we are here for right?
Old 6/17/13, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW- the 1966 Hertz's were mostly automatics too. Automatics are easier to rent
800 were automatics and 85 were 4 speeds in 1966 and the 06-07 Hertz's had an additional 25 hp over other GT's and has 3.55 gears. The new ones were very special.

Here is the story, so back in 1966 Shelby made an arrangement with Hetz rental car company. So in 1966 you could rent a Shelby GT350 "H" which meant Hertz. It's was the Shelby rent-a-race-car of the 60's. There are stories about guys renting one for the weekend and changing the motors with their factory Ford ones then turning the car back into Hertz LOL..

In 2005 they made a limited edition Shelby GT-H which was the same thing but not as cool because it came with only an Automatic.

Last edited by topbliss; 6/17/13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 6/17/13, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great find and congrats on the car. Rare indeed. Thanks for your service. I'm a service member too but it's always great to hear from a guy who is spending his hard earned deployment money on a new ride. Stay low and I might see you over there. Enjoy your R&R.
Old 6/17/13, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the strong welcome everyone, it really makes me feel good about my decision on my car with all of the good compliments I have received on here about it.

To clarify, I am in Afghanistan, however I am a civilian contracted intelligence analyst. I did spend 8 years in the US Army though with the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment out of Vilseck, Germany. Did a 15 month tour with those guys in Iraq of 07-08, decided to get out, got out as a E5 and moved on. Decided to get paid the big bucks for my security clearance....AAAND that's what I am doing.

So still serving, still catching/killing bad guys, just in a different uniform.

THANK YOU to all of you who are serving and have served....mad respect.

Last edited by That380Rguy; 6/17/13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 6/17/13, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks for the strong welcome everyone, it really makes me feel good about my decision on my car with all of the good compliments I have received on here about it.

To clarify, I am in Afghanistan, however I am a civilian contracted intelligence analyst. I did spend 8 years in the US Army though with the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment out of Vilseck, Germany. Did a 15 month tour with those guys in Iraq of 07-08, decided to get out, got out as a E5 and moved on. Decided to get paid the big bucks for my security clearance....AAAND that's what I am doing.

So still serving, still catching/killing bad guys, just in a different uniform.

THANK YOU to all of you who are serving and have served....mad respect.
Haha sheesh, that's almost MORE dangerous than actually still being in. Watch your back buddy, and watch where you step.
Old 6/19/13, 11:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember your Regiment and follow your officers as they say. Hit the leather and ride boss!
Old 6/25/13, 01:25 PM

Thats a great lookin' car, congrats, nice instrument panel as well!
Old 6/26/13, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to TMS!