Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

1995 Mustang Gt Convertible Newbie Need Opinions on Car Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/23, 10:25 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,906 Posts
Rob,

I Knew Paul Would Be The Right Guy to Get You Some Direction! You Came into the Right Site! We Are Here To Help & Not Give you any Grief Simply Because You are New To the Hobby or Gearhead Lifestyle. We Are All Novice's at Something in Life & Get Burned By it! At Least Here We Can Try & Not Let That Happen to Others in Regards To Automotive.

Us Older Guys Learned By Trying To Keep Our Cars Running Back in The Day and Reading Every Car Magazine & Shop Manual We Could Get Our Hands On! We Made Plenty of Mistakes & Still Do! We Learn Ourselves in Here. I Used to Be The Man on the 05-09's But The Newer Cars I Have Learned a Lot On Since Coming Back to TMS About a Year Ago after a 13 Year Absense. Technology Changes So Quick Anymore and Some of The Things These Younger Guys Can Do With a Laptop is Pretty Amazing. But a Lot of Them Don't Know The Basic's Which Will Come into Play When a Failure Occurs. So We Can All Learn From Each Other a Certain Skill Set.

Party On Wayne! Party On Garth!

KC

Old 10/31/23, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fantastic information and just the encouragement I need to start learning things for myself! So much more satisfying to do something yourself rather than throwing money we don't have at a problem.
I am in Barrie, just an hour outside of Toronto, will start searching for other local "enthusiasts" and keep you and KC up to date......now I gotta get heat in my garage!!!
The following users liked this post:
05stangkc (10/31/23)
Old 10/31/23, 11:05 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Careful With your Heating Choices don't want any Accidents

A Little Viewing is in Order! Some Take With a Grain of Salt if they Look Hokey!

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...t=gws-wiz-serp

Or Some Old School Book Learning!

Amazon Amazon

Shop Manual a Must! Be Aware Cheaper Manuals Listed Sometimes Don't Work Don't Load! Get Name Brand As Listed! These are Based on FACTORY Manuals!
The Haynes Manuals Etc. Are Too General! You Need The Real Deal!

https://www.npdlink.com/product/shop...-models/209496

Paul, If You Have Any Manual or Book Advice to Add! Please Do!

I Have a Library Been Adding to Since The 70's It's Outa Control! I'm Sure Paul Does Too!

KC
Old 11/1/23, 06:43 AM

Paul/Kevin
Update, my mechanic has provided his theory on what may have happened. "I think what happened was a valve dropped at some point and hit the cylinder but valve was replaced and coolant deposits in the cylinder".

Have great day!!!!!
Chevy
Old 11/1/23, 07:09 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapidness
Paul/Kevin
Update, my mechanic has provided his theory on what may have happened. "I think what happened was a valve dropped at some point and hit the cylinder but valve was replaced and coolant deposits in the cylinder".

Have great day!!!!!
Chevy
That's an interesting change from "previous work causing damage"....Now for what it's worth I've been working on these cars since 1987 and the ONLY one that I have ever seen drop a valve was a 93 Cobra and it was caused by a rocker arm failure which were Crane roller rockers from the factory. The stock stamped steel rocker arms I have never seen fail and I have never seen a dropped valve on a stock engine. WIth that being said...every engine that I have seen drop a valve has destroyed the piston...especially on a hypereutectic piston like what yours is equipped with....those pistons are fairly fragile when it comes to impact and when faced with compressing against a steel valve, the piston will simply fracture and break apart. Those valves are not small and they are in an even smaller space when that piston comes up. Now that would be totally seperate from coolant deposits...a valve being dropped has no connection with engine coolant. So I've got to say this is quite a fairy tale theory in my opinion. Of course he knows you have no way of verifying this or looking into the cylinder yourself.

But again, with that compression test kit you will learn a LOT...if the cylinder wall is actually damaged as claimed, the compression number would be down on that cylinder. Also if the cylinder wall has significant damage then you would have excessive crankcase pressure and oil being burned which would show on the spark plug and possibly out of the exhaust.

What he is suggesting to you though would have absolutely no part in your overheating issue unless it cracked the cylinder wall at the coolant passage around it and if that were the case you would have water in the oil and burning out of the exhaust.
Old 11/1/23, 07:18 AM

Time for me to get busy!!!!
ALWAYS appreciated!!!
Old 11/6/23, 09:45 AM

Update

Sooo, looks as though alternator is crap. Failing to hold charge and pushing just over 12v and dropping. The rad fan was not fully plugged in. Perhaps only low speed fan kicking in? No pressurization of rad when cold, oil clean, antifreeze clean, plugs clean, no smoke from exhaust…..
is there a “special” alternator I should be investigating?

Chevy
Old 11/6/23, 11:09 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapidness
Sooo, looks as though alternator is crap. Failing to hold charge and pushing just over 12v and dropping. The rad fan was not fully plugged in. Perhaps only low speed fan kicking in? No pressurization of rad when cold, oil clean, antifreeze clean, plugs clean, no smoke from exhaust…..
is there a “special” alternator I should be investigating?

Chevy
Don't buy a remanufactured alternator...if you can get a new one then buy that or you could get one from PA Performance...great product and lifetime warranty....New Alternators - Ford Mustang - 94-95 Mustang 5.0L - PA Performance.com

If you had cooling fan issues then that could certainly be the cause of your overheating issue.