Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

In the (whack) news... post 'em if you got 'em

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/15, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
You're assuming he was aware there was a wolf population where he was hunting, and you're also assuming he was hunting coyotes for sport, not because his ranch foreman or landowner/employee told him to. Also, how good are you at being able to tell the difference between a coyote and a wolf at a dead run through brush/grass/foliage? Ever looked through a scope or through iron sights at an animal on the dead run? I have, and I'm a former sniper and have hunted coyotes extensively in south Texas. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do to distinguish between one wolf-faced animal and another even when you know the population well enough to pick out individual animals by their charisterics. Enough with the tree-hugging nonsense from people that don't live on the land and don't rely on the safety of their animals for their livelihood. The wolf is an APEX predator, meaning other than man himself, there's nothing stopping them from flourishing where they're introduced. Livestock owners of every kind are simply not going to let animals of that kind grow fat and plentiful on their herds. For most it's a matter of something fluffy and resembling their family pets or the misrepresented animals in disney movies that motivate them to want to be 'activists.' The truth is much colder and harder, and the wolf is a predator that WILL damage the way of life of people who actually DO live off the land. There's a reason they were exterminated in the early 1900's and it wasn't because of their pelts.
Uhh, okay. Feel better now?
Old 2/12/15, 11:02 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Uhh, okay. Feel better now?
Surprised by the smart remark. Much less your initial comment. You now sound more like the other SFBay anti-rural/anti-rancher/anti-hunter city asz commenters on that article. The concrete you live on is a different perspective vs those who live in ranch/rural areas (that you so often claim you want to move to. )
Having wolves propagating around me now does not thrill me either. As the coyotes have increased, I rarely see deer at my place the last two decades. So now wolves? The elk herd is next. Ranchers will be able to get special permits to kill wolves once they start losing stock but nothing will protect the deer and elk herds from such hungry and effective predators.
And no, I don't know the visual difference between a wolf and a coyote either - esp at night. All I know is if I see a wild critter menacing my herd, I'm shooting.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/16/15 at 04:08 AM.
Old 2/12/15, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't appreciate being called a tree-hugger. If you follow my posts, I'd say I'm far from that train of thought. It's such an ignorant childish insult - I'd like to see you breathe without trees and/or plants that produce your oxygen, by the way.

No, I have never hunted for sport. Don't think I ever intend to either. I'll have my guns though; you'll have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. I do fish from time to time, but hunting coyotes for sport?...just not my thing and if any of you thinks that makes me less of a man, good for you. No, I was not a sniper in the army either. I do come from a huge military/LEO family though, and to be honest if you "support our troops," you'd bring them the hell home and help them through their transition back to civilian life.

It may be the minuscule amount of native blood pumping through my veins, but I don't see "predators" as the menace that they are/can be. This isn't our land. You don't own it (your government does). If you choose to run a business raising livestock, on land that is inhabited by coyotes or wolves, then build higher/better fences to keep them out. You're serving up dinner to them and fencing them in to make it like shooting fish in a barrel for them. Endangered species don't deserve to die because you chose your business to be raising livestock.

Coyotes are scavengers, but both they and wolves (predators that they may be) are amazing creatures and you have to remember that WE encroached on THEIR land, not the other way around. If a wolf so chooses to migrate hundreds of miles away from her home, it should be your responsibility to build a better fence to protect your investment, not shoot it because you thought it was a coyote (which also doesn't deserve to be killed due to your irresponsibility as a business owner).

Think whatever you like, but don't compartmentalize or label me. I am not that Bay Area trash that you speak of. My beliefs are off the wall sometimes, but I don't need to resort to insulting people for thinking differently.
Old 2/12/15, 12:45 PM
Post *****

"As they buy their steaks in those nice little styrofoam packages at Lucky's... "
Old 2/12/15, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
"As they buy their steaks in those nice little styrofoam packages at Lucky's... "
Isn't that where you get yours?...
Old 2/12/15, 01:26 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by laserred38
Isn't that where you get yours?...
Not necessarily.
But you're missing the point based on how I understand your post. You make it sound like its so easy for ranchers and that they are somehow enemies "of the land" or however you want to phrase it.

Our food comes from rural areas, it is wild and difficult, with huge risk and hard asz work involved. It is not manicured and neatly maintained like freeways in your area and where dangerous wild animals are kept in cages in zoos so they're "just cute and fuzzy critters". Many family farms/ranches go under every dam year. Generations losing their heritage (and ultimately their land) because of how difficult it is just fighting nature - much less the added nightmare of government crap.

Hell I'm a tree hugger... and a hunter... and a rancher (small time horse breeder)... and love life in the mountains... which makes me a conservationist. Balancing usage of wild lands with management for sustainability. (And guns here are more used as tools for food and/or protection in the wild vs from gangbanging thugs.)
Vs enviro-whacko Sierra club lawyers driving their SUV's living in their McMansions in the city. While soliciting funds from uninformed ignorant do-gooders in the city who think food "just appears", and they fight to destroy the rural way of life to lock up millions of acres to turn everything here into a "park" so city people can look at it on a tree cam.

Cut one of my 150 yr Ponderosa's and there'll be hell to pay. Try to clear cut the forest around me and I'm going to object and picket. But select cut so as to provide 2x4's and TP and improve the forest by proper thinning for sustainability, and I'm good. That's conservation vs environmental extremism.

Balance. And re-introducing wolves at the speed and on the scale in which the government is doing so, is going to destroy wild herds of deer and elk (already is as I said but city people don't hear that story), as well as harm ranchers who need every cow they raise. Not only for their livelihood, but also to put meat on your table. We are currently at the smallest herd in years and ranchers have every right to shoot to deter and/or kill predators (especially "new ones" that they haven't had to deal with for almost a century) that will easily kill those defenseless calves. It is vital to their way of life - and your way of life so as to keep Lucky's stocked so the masses of crazies don't get in a panic... over either supply someday, or price today.

EDIT: I know you're not angry, and I'm not angry, we're just having a discussion. Some of the idiots on this forum always want to claim comments are "anger" somehow. Morons.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/12/15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 2/12/15, 02:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Not necessarily.
But you're missing the point based on how I understand your post. You make it sound like its so easy for ranchers and that they are somehow enemies "of the land" or however you want to phrase it.

Our food comes from rural areas, it is wild and difficult, with huge risk and hard asz work involved. It is not manicured and neatly maintained like freeways in your area and where dangerous wild animals are kept in cages in zoos so they're "just cute and fuzzy critters". Many family farms/ranches go under every dam year. Generations losing their heritage (and ultimately their land) because of how difficult it is just fighting nature - much less the added nightmare of government crap.

Hell I'm a tree hugger... and a hunter... and a rancher (small time horse breeder)... and love life in the mountains... which makes me a conservationist. Balancing usage of wild lands with management for sustainability. (And guns here are more used as tools for food and/or protection in the wild vs from gangbanging thugs.)
Vs enviro-whacko Sierra club lawyers driving their SUV's living in their McMansions in the city. While soliciting funds from uninformed ignorant do-gooders in the city who think food "just appears", and they fight to destroy the rural way of life to lock up millions of acres to turn everything here into a "park" so city people can look at it on a tree cam.

Cut one of my 150 yr Ponderosa's and there'll be hell to pay. Try to clear cut the forest around me and I'm going to object and picket. But select cut so as to provide 2x4's and TP and improve the forest by proper thinning for sustainability, and I'm good. That's conservation vs environmental extremism.

Balance. And re-introducing wolves at the speed and on the scale in which the government is doing so, is going to destroy wild herds of deer and elk (already is as I said but city people don't hear that story), as well as harm ranchers who need every cow they raise. Not only for their livelihood, but also to put meat on your table. We are currently at the smallest herd in years and ranchers have every right to shoot to deter and/or kill predators (especially "new ones" that they haven't had to deal with for almost a century) that will easily kill those defenseless calves. It is vital to their way of life - and your way of life so as to keep Lucky's stocked so the masses of crazies don't get in a panic... over either supply someday, or price today.

EDIT: I know you're not angry, and I'm not angry, we're just having a discussion. Some of the idiots on this forum always want to claim comments are "anger" somehow. Morons.
This is very much along the lines of how I think and live. There is an entire world of difference between a tree-hugger and a conservationist. One has no ****ing clue what they're all worked up about because they don't bother to put themselves in the real world positions that their ridiculous furry-animal-love or anti-using-wood-for-anything idiocy actually creates. The other is someone who understands how important things are in the world outside the cities and knows how to maintain the balance necessary to keep from destroying their future endeavors on the land and the land's ability to continue to exist as it does.

Patrick, what do you suggest all of the ranchers who graze their herds on government property do--with full permission from the federal government--for fences? Or perhaps you didn't realize that there were ranchers who are forced to graze and water their animals somewhere other than their own property? How about you price a hog fence or worse, as you suggested, a six-foot predator fence for a 1000-acre ranch. How about a 5000-acre ranch? How about 25,000 acres? I'll give you a hint: it's a hell of a lot more expensive than just eliminating the predators. I'm 1/8 Cherokee, so I'm sure I've got as much native-american blood running through my veins as you do and I'll tell you now, this isn't the animal's land anymore than it is the Cherokee's or the Shoshone's or the Comanche's or anyone else's land. It belongs to those who have dominion over it. Right now that's us. A thousand years ago it wasn't. A thousand years from now it will be someone or something else's land. Predators, whether fluffy and cute like a wolf or scaly and ugly like a snake, were just as guarded against by native americans as they are modern-day Americans. Respect is one thing, but I assure you they would put down a wolf as fast as a rancher does today if they attacked a tribe's people or horses.
Old 2/13/15, 12:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
First wolf to visit Grand Canyon in a half century is shot dead

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2015/02/...-is-shot-dead/
The article says she came all the way down from Wyoming. I'm surprised she didn't turn up as road kill. Would have never made it to my neighborhood.

I believe the soccer mom's in my state kill more big game than us hunters...by far! And they don't even eat the meat afterward!
Old 2/13/15, 04:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
does this mean those stump Twilight shows are done with 😆
Old 2/13/15, 12:50 PM
Post *****

Man in vegetative state for 12 years wakes up to tell remarkable story

Published February 07, 2015·
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/0...arkable-story/
Old 2/16/15, 04:07 AM
Post *****

'Wienermobile' Crashes Into Pole, Sustains Serious Damage To Bun...
Old 2/16/15, 01:05 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Bet this moron wishes he would have stayed in Ga.

A 20-year-old American was severely gored by a bull in Spain

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...bull-in-spain/

Fly all the way to Spain to get your sphincter reconstructed. Gives new meaning to the phrase ripping someone a new arsehole.
Old 2/16/15, 01:10 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Fly all the way to Spain to get your sphincter reconstructed. Gives new meaning to the phrase ripping someone a new arsehole.

Old 2/16/15, 01:17 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

One of the comments on the story said "Yep, hes not a virgin anymore"
Old 2/16/15, 01:26 PM
Post *****

When I first met my radiation doc in 2012 he had just returned from Spain. We shared stories. He showed me pics of him running from bulls. I showed him scars of being eaten by stallion. rofl
Old 2/22/15, 07:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Kindergarten teacher charged with drinking in class

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kinderga.../#postComments

I'd need a drink too if I had to put up with a room full of 5 year olds all day.
Old 2/22/15, 07:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Now that is creepy as hell!

Fla. home intruder takes photo of woman in shower, posts it to her Facebook page

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2123954

Imagine going on your facebook page and there is a picture of you in your own shower that you were just taking. Crazy people running around everywhere.
Old 2/22/15, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
best be wearing your na nut na na's in the shower
Old 2/22/15, 11:07 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

It always blows my mind as to how people get hit by trains. WTF? Its not like its going to sneak up on you, and its not going to veer over and chase you down. The freakin' thing is on a TRACK!! You know exactly where its going to be!

Man posing for photo hit and killed by train near Kalama

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...rain/23853511/
Old 2/23/15, 05:29 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
It always blows my mind as to how people get hit by trains. WTF? Its not like its going to sneak up on you, and its not going to veer over and chase you down. The freakin' thing is on a TRACK!! You know exactly where its going to be!

Man posing for photo hit and killed by train near Kalama

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...rain/23853511/

The average person is an idiot. Not everyone can be a Mustang driver.

Quick Reply: In the (whack) news... post 'em if you got 'em