Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Weight lifters and exercise gurus: give me some advice

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/12, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight lifters and exercise gurus: give me some advice

Hopefully there's some of you on here that are really into going to the gym and working out. I'm in a fast fitness class this quarter at school which requires 20 hours of time in the school fitness center over the course of the quarter, but what I do with that time is totally up to me. I'd really like to develop some good habits and a strong workout routine to both stay in shape, and build lean muscle mass. Currently, I'm about 5'10" and 145lbs, so I'm pretty small.

The school gym is well equipped with lots of cardio options and free-weights, and a selection of machines. So far I've been doing a cardio warmup, normally about 5 miles on a bike at a pace that keeps me sweating, and then working with the different machines, but I don't really know which ones to focus on and what have you.

I know that I should be doing more with the free weights but being smallish and fairly new to working out, the free-weight floor which is always filled with massive guys lifting huge amounts of weight is sort of intimidating...

I go to the gym 4 times a week before my classes (M-Th) for 30-45 minutes. Recommend me a workout routine to build some muscle!
Old 4/26/12, 09:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to www.bodybuilding.com

They have alot of good routines, just find one that your comfortable with doing. Do it for a couple months and then find a different one.
Old 4/27/12, 04:43 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No way in heck you should be intimidated on the floor. Don't be insecure. The guy at my gym who gets the most respect is a 13 yr old kid, less than 5' tall who I could easily toss 10' into the air. He's a little skinny kid, but he busts his *** and has a bigger heart than 95% of the guys out there.

If you're a noob, I'd try and start off by focusing on mass compound movements. Forget about isolation exercises, forget about abs, and do your cardio AFTER your strength training. Don't forget to STRETCH first. Try and shoot for 4 sets of 8 for mass, or lower reps (and more weight) to build more strength, but don't sacrifice good form or you could risk injury.

Focus on compound mass exercises like Squats, Bench Press, Military Press, Deadlifts, etc... Bodybuilding.com has video's on their site of these. Googleing "Rippetoe" and start off with his plan. It's really a good plan for new lifters to build a good combination of strength and mass.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 4/27/12 at 04:45 AM.
Old 4/27/12, 06:52 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I traded in my 6 pack for a keg.
Old 4/27/12, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, different people find different things that work for them. Don't judge yourself by how good or bad you're doing compared to someone else.

Don't be shy around the big guys, either! Most of the weightlifters I've known have been very happy to help someone new get started. How do you think they got that big? Someone helped them!

When I graduated HS I was 5'10" and 145 lbs. (Sound familiar?) In my late 40's now, still 5'10" (haha) and now 175 lbs. and in pretty good shape. The only time I really gained weight is when I was working out. Starting out, I learned how to use the machines properly, then 2 or 3 times per week I did a good routine of upper and lower body exercises, then repeated a few upper body ones. Usually just 1 set of each for 10-15 reps each time around, so that was 2 sets on the upper body ones. Some guys would like that routine, some won't.

I also found it helped me to keep a good log of what I was doing, so I could track my progress over time. Have fun with it and be safe!
Old 4/27/12, 10:54 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a big reply posted but I got timed out. So, I'm going to just keep it short and copy/paste something from here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm

Besides what's below, 2 things that are a must:

EAT protein AND carbs after your strength training workouts. Must.

SLEEP 6.5-8 hours a night. Must.

You need fuel and you need rest. Don't overdo it. On your off days, do your cardio.

Rippetoe program from Bodybuilding.com:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A
Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B
Etc. For the actual workouts read below:

Workout A:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlifts
**2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)
Click Here For A Printable Log Of Workout A.

Workout B:

3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Bent Rows (or power cleans)
**2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)
Note: This doesn't include warm-up sets (**)Means this is OPTIONAL

Click Here For A Printable Log Of Workout B.

Assistance Work:

Most people cant get it through their head that compound lifts also work your arms plenty and always insist on direct arm work. As quoted by Madcow2,

"Don't **** with this. Every bodybuilder seems to have
Attention Deficit Disorder and an overwhelming desire
to customize everything."
If you are one of these people note that you have the option of doing the dips and chins which give PLENTY of arm work. Abdominal work is fine to do also if needed.

I recommend weighted decline sit-ups and/or Hanging Leg Raises at 2x8-10.

Weight:

As for the weight, make sure that you use the SAME weight throughout the sets. For example if I do the first set if Squats with 200 pounds then I do the other 2 sets of squats with 200 pounds.

Every week make it a goal to increase each of your lifts by 2.5%. Meaning if I lifted 100 pounds for my Bench Week 1 then Week 2 I would try for 102.5 pounds. If I did 200-pound squats Week 1 I would try for 205 pounds in Week 2. Sometimes you will be able to do more but don't mess with your form just to lift more.

Warm-up Sets:

Before all your working sets it is best to do a few warm-up sets. Specifically for your first lift. You don't have to do the whole thing for the other lifts but definitely the first.

What you do is you ramp your weight up to your working sets.

For Example:

2x5xbar (sets x reps x weight)
1x5x85
1x3x125
1x2x155
Click Here For A Printable Log Of Warm-Up Sets.

And the working set weight would be 175.

If you are lifting you're working sets fewer than 150 I would cut out the 3rd warm-up set of 1x5 because it won't be needed.

The Lifts:

**Used references and quotes from Madcow2 and Bodybuilding.com**

Barbell Squat:

These should be full range Olympic style squats. Use the full range of your body - that means as low as you can go which for almost everyone is past parallel. If the top of your thighs aren't at least parallel it's for ****. If you think this is bad for your knees going low, you and whoever told you that are relying on an old wife's tale.

Anyone who knows the human body will tell you that below parallel is MUCH safer on the knees whereas parallel and above put all the sheer right on them and doesn't allow proper transfer of the load to the rest of your body (this is how your body was designed).

Rest a barbell on the upper portion of your back, not your neck. Firmly grip the bar with your hands almost twice your shoulder width apart.

Position your feet about shoulder width apart and your toes should be pointing just a little outward with your knees in the same direction. Keep your back as straight as possible and your chin up, bend your knees and slowly lower your hips straight down until your THIGHS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE FLOOR. Once you reach the bottom position, press the weight up back to the starting position.

Click Image To Enlarge.
Barbell Squat.
Video Guide: Windows Media - Real Player
To be honest ATG (@ss to the Grass) squats work the best IMO. What you do is you go ALL the way down until your hamstrings touch your calves and keep the same Olympic squat form.

Click Image To Enlarge.
ATG Squat.
Barbell Deadlifts:

Each rep is deweighted fully on the floor. No touch and go. This is called the 'dead' lift because the weight is 'dead' on the ground. You can touch and go warm ups but that's it.

This is a complicated exercise so here is Bodybuilding.com's detailed instructions on this lift.

Click Image To Enlarge.
Barbell Deadlifts.
Flat Barbell Bench Press:

Lie on a flat bench and firmly position your feet flat on the floor a little more than shoulder width apart. Keep your back flat on the bench! Using a grip broader than shoulder width, hold the barbell above your body, then lower slowly to the middle of your chest. Without bouncing the weight off your chest, drive the barbell up over the middle of your chest until your arms are straight and your elbows are locked. Lower the bar down slowly.

Click Image To Enlarge.
Flat Barbell Bench Press.
Standing Barbell Military Press:

Standing overhead presses. Supporting weight overhead is a fundamental exercise and stimulates the whole body. Raise barbell to your chest with your hands shoulder width apart. Lock your legs and hips. Keep your elbows in, slightly under your bar. Press bar to arm's length overhead. Lower to your upper chest or chin (depending on what is comfortable).

Click Image To Enlarge.
Standing Barbell Military Press.
Video Guide: Windows Media - MPEG - Video iPod
Bent Barbell Row:

Raise barbell to your chest with your hands shoulder width apart. Lock your legs and hips. Keep your elbows in, slightly under your bar. Press bar to arm's length overhead. Lower to your upper chest or chin (depending on what is comfortable).

Click Image To Enlarge.
Bent Barbell Row.
Power Clean:

This is also a very complicated exercise so here is Bodybuilding.com detailed instructions on this lift.

Click Image To Enlarge.
Power Clean.
Chin-Up:

Hold the chin-up bar with a supinated grip (palms facing you) with your hands about 6-to-8 inches apart. Pull yourself up and try to touch either your chin or upper chest to the bar. Return slowly to the starting position. Do NOT swing back and forth! Using this grip works more of your biceps than your back or lats.

Click Image To Enlarge.
Chin-Up.
Dip:

Using the parallel bars, grip the handles and push yourself up to your starting position. With elbows close to body and hips straight, lower body until shoulders are slightly stretched. Push body up in same posture and repeat. You can bend and cross your legs or keep them straight.

Click Image To Enlarge.
Dip.
The Diet:

If you are bulking, which is what people usually do on this program, you need to be eating like there is no tomorrow. 3000-4000 calories a day. Make sure you get 1-to-2 x your bodyweight in protein (in grams) and more than that in carbs. Mark Rippetoe also suggests that you drink up to a gallon of milk a day and plenty of water.

Good luck and above all have FUN!

Who Would Benefit?
Who Would Benefit The Most By Using The Rippetoe Training Method?

Beginners as said before will enjoy the gains made through hard work and becoming used to the conditioning involved. Athletes could garner large gains from this program by using the exercises which are mainly to focus the core and power to their chosen sport. Veterans could focus on bringing up certain aspects of their physiques as well with the program.

Good luck, now get to work.
Old 4/27/12, 12:51 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I traded in my 6 pack for a keg.
I just traded my minikeg back in, but no one gave me my 6 pack back
Old 4/29/12, 12:35 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The first thing you should do...stop worrying about anything that someone else is doing. A lot of the big guys will be happy to help to out...and a lot of them are d-bags that are there just to pick up chicks.

I've always been slim, and only go to the gym to *put on* weight, but you have to find what works for you...

The most important thing is to be dedicated. If you need someone else to motivate you, then you're not ready...
Old 4/29/12, 12:49 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
stop being a fatty you fatty!

I just upped from a pony keg to the party keg

Last edited by Flagstang; 4/29/12 at 12:55 AM.