Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Vape Thread

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/15, 12:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm older and don't really get the vape thing. Was vaping around before the E cigarettes? I see posts on IG all the time about it. I'm not egging on it, just wondering how it got started lol.
Old 3/7/15, 12:31 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/7/15 at 02:51 PM.
Old 3/7/15, 02:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Now I'm really hooked after I got this new set up. Its my first sub-ohm mod and tank. My goodness what a difference, the flavor is so much more intense and you can get a massive hit with one pull and its smooth as can be.

iStick 50 watt (4400mah battery) wattage in .1 increments from 5 watts to 50 watts, goes down to .2 ohms, and a Kangertech Subtank Mini, uses premade coils, or you can build your own coils for an RBA deck that comes with it.

Name:  IMG_0111_zpsimdtelom.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0112_zpsfydkmiwi.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  60.6 KB

I think I've got a problem, only been vaping for a month and have already acquired this, and am already looking at another mod and 2 more subohm tanks

Name:  IMG_0119_zpsjzqhoo3z.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  81.4 KB
_
Old 3/7/15, 10:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

First time I've ever been able to do straight lung hits off of a vape. I usually did mouth to lung hits, taking a puff into my mouth and then inhaling it. With this set up I can suck it straight down. Crazy how much of a difference it makes, totally opposite of smoking a cig. Hard for me to get used to after smoking cigs for 30 years .
Old 3/8/15, 04:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought the e-leaf myself... Great device!
Can you not just put other juices in the tank after its basically empty?
Clean it out as best and fill, use till the 30ml bottle is done and so on and so on.
Why purchase more juice tanks ?
Old 3/8/15, 12:38 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by shayner
I just bought the e-leaf myself... Great device!
Can you not just put other juices in the tank after its basically empty?
Clean it out as best and fill, use till the 30ml bottle is done and so on and so on.
Why purchase more juice tanks ?
You can. I just bought multiple ones (the small ones above) because I like different flavors and switch up a lot. So I just bought one for each flavor so I can switch a few times a day. Plus those small ones are cheap (about $5) and its easier than trying to clean one out.

That big sub-ohm tank is pretty expensive so I just filled it with my favorite flavor. I'll still probably buy some more sub-ohm tanks and keep different flavors in them because I like that eLeaf so much.
Old 3/10/15, 09:55 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

What an amazing battery in this newest mod I got. The eLeaf iStick 50 watt. I didn't even charge it, just started using it right out of the box. Used it Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and now into Wednesday morning and its still showing 2/3 battery on the display. And I've been sub-ohming it running it at over 20 watts.

This is a killer mod, it would be great even for beginners, it has an adapter for the eGo tanks, and you can crank it down to low wattages for that. I can't imagine how long it would last on one of those.

You just can't beat it for the relatively small price you can get this thing for.
Old 3/10/15, 10:36 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I got effed up and ordered more sub-ohm tanks. An Aspire Atlantis, an eLeaf Melo and and 5 pack of coils for both of them as well as coils for the Subtank Mini I just got, and a 5 pack of coils for the clearomizers that I already have. lol. Now I need another mod and batteries for it, lol. I like the size of it, it will fit in my side pocket of my shorts and jeans, just need to make sure the tank fits too when its on top of it.

This is bull****, I'm spending a lot more than I did on cigs buying all this stuff, lol. But I just want more of this stuff because I like it so much.

I should have just kept smoking, lol.
Old 3/11/15, 07:04 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Holy crap, woke up this morning, checked the email and found out I spent almost $100 on accessories last night, lol. Quit smoking they said, you'll save money they said, lol.

I did come out pretty good though, got the stuff I ordered for pretty good prices from a place in Washington. I love the brick and mortar where I get my juice and I prefer to buy stuff locally and keep the money in the local economy even if it costs a little more. And generally they have competitive prices, but I couldn't justify it on this order. They have the Aspire Atlantis sub ohm tank priced at $45, I got it online for $28, and the replacement coils were $14 for a 5 pack (same for the Kanger subtank I got the other day) and they are almost $5 each there. That is just a little more than I can swallow, I'll do business local, but that is a little too far of a price difference for me.

TBH, I would have bought that last stuff I got ( the iStick and Subtank) from them, they were very competitive on that (within $5 each of what I paid, which was more than fair) but they were out of stock on both of them and I wanted them ASAP, lol.
Old 3/11/15, 02:36 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
At least this is a better addiction! I've tried to nudge a dee friends of mine that smoke to pi. Up the vaping habit. We've got a store here too.
Old 3/11/15, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
Isn't the whole idea of quitting smoking to stop consuming nicotine? If vaping is nicotine then
Don't get me wrong, Lee is doing great cutting down as much as he has.

I switched from smoking to vaping a little over a year ago. Haven't smoked tobacco since early February of 2014. Since then I've reduced my nicotine levels to just 40% of what I started at. Unlike tobacco you can control how much nicotine you get in an ecig. I generally make about 240ml of liquid at a time and drop 3mg of nicotine with each new bottle. Started at 24mg and now I'm down to 9mg. Eventually I'll be nicotine free and then it's just a habit I have to kick, not an addiction.

Also there is a lot more than nicotine in tobacco. With vaping I'm no longer getting any tar, nor the 2,000+ chemicals and more than 800 carcinogens. Nicotine is addictive, but by itself it's not a carcinogen, doesn't cause cancer, and isn't measurably more harmful than caffeine. I breathe easier, rarely ever cough, have far more energy and far more stamina than I used to.

I've done the subohming, I've done the rebuilding. I've got an entire tool box full of rebuilding gear. Wire cutters, various diameter pins to wrap coils around, cotton and ecowool for wicks, pliers, wire cutters, torch, ohm meter, the whole 9 yards. I've also run the full gamut with mods. Got a pair of Halo Tritons (Similar to Ego), a pair of original Innokin SVDs, an Innokin SDV 2.0 (20 watt mod) Nemesis clone mech mod, and a DNA30 box mod.

Here's an old pic of just some of my mods and tanks:

Name:  9f519bbe-05dc-43b0-84a6-a48569334f8e.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  390.5 KB

That's a Kayfun 3.1 on the box mod, a Halo Triton, and a Kanger Aerotank on the Nemesis mech mod.

Name:  a75201c2-83da-4c90-9aa6-510bbfac2e7a.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  231.2 KB

And that's a Kayfun Lite Plus on my box mod.

Name:  IMG_1104.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  245.7 KB

And that's the Nemesis with the Kayfun 3.1 ES, the SVD with an iClear 30, then a Titan II RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer) iClear 30S, Kanger Aerotank, and my two Halo Tritons.

These days though I've fallen back to simplicity and convenience. I'm now using Aspire Nautilus tanks with the BVC coils. Running them at 19 watts on my box mod with my strong peppermint juice as my all-day vape. I get great vapor, can blow big enough clouds to cause people to stop and stare, and the taste is nearly as good as the Kayfun with a fraction of the hassle.

Like Rather I started out spending a ton of money on gear and juices, but now I'm just buying $10 worth of coils every 3 months and about $60 worth of liquids to mix my own juice every 6 months. Compared to the $6+ per day I was spending on smoking I'm saving a fortune.

Last edited by Moustang; 3/11/15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 3/11/15, 11:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just wanted to show off my mad coil building skills...

1.8 ohm twisted wire chimney coil on a Kayfun.

Name:  IMG_1120.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  334.3 KB
Old 3/11/15, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I did come out pretty good though, got the stuff I ordered for pretty good prices from a place in Washington. I love the brick and mortar where I get my juice and I prefer to buy stuff locally and keep the money in the local economy even if it costs a little more.

Start mixing your own juices. That will save you a TON of money. You can get everything you need to mix up a gallon of juices with a dozen different flavorings for about $100. I get enough to mix up a half gallon at a time which is more than enough to last both me and my wife around 6 months, and it only costs us about $60.

And it's just really fun to mix your own flavors. LOADS of recipes on the internet and then it's really easy to tweak them as you want. My usual all-day vape started with a generic candy cane recipe which I then spruced up with about 5 drops of peppermint oil per 30ml plus a hint of menthol for the throat hit. Has the bite of an Altoid and the added bonus of peppermint breath.

Speaking of Altoids, you should check out one of these sometime...

Another thing you may want to look into is the Reo Grand.

http://www.reosmods.com/

It's a mechanical mod with a dripping atomizer and built in 6ml bottle. All the flavor and vapor of an RDA with none of the hassle. Take a few puffs, give the bottle a tiny squeeze, and your ready for the next few puffs.

Old 3/13/15, 11:36 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Nice stuff Mousetang, I see you've been trying out a lot of stuff for quite a while. I haven't gotten that far into it yet, only started a little over a month ago. I just skipped right over the eGo type mods that most people start with, it just didn't feel natural holding it when I was trying out juices the first time I went in to look around.

You'd think it would since its long and skinny like a cig, but it felt odd to me and didn't feel solid enough to be durable. Then he handed me a box mod to try and it just felt perfect. Heavy, solid and you could wrap your hand around it. So I bought an Innokin iTaste MVP 2 that day, and liked it so much I went back 3 days later and bought another one for a back up. Hadn't even charged the battery on the first one I bought yet, it was still going on the factory charge.

Amazing coil you built, I haven't even tried building one yet. I bought a Kanger Subtank Mini last week, if you haven't looked at them it has a deck in it to build coils or you can use premade screw in type. It came with a couple of already twisted coils and organic cotton but I've only used the screw in type that came with it so far.

I've read a little about making your own juices, but I haven't gotten near that point yet, I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd have to do a lot more research and buy stuff to do it with.

Chime in here whenever you can, I'm interested in anything I can learn from someone who has experience.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/13/15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 3/13/15, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I found out the other day my buddy started making and selling the juice that goes into those things. It costs him under 2 bucks per little bottle to make which he sells for 9 bucks. Then the retailer sells it for 18 bucks. Nice racket.
Old 3/13/15, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Making juices is about the easiest thing in the world. As you already know you only need 4 ingredients. The Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin, Nicotine Solution, and your flavorings.

The Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin are the easiest to buy. Just check Google shopping or Amazon. Search for USP Kosher for both. You should be able to get quart bottles for about $14 or gallon bottles for around $25.

Nicotine Solution is a little harder to find, you'll probably have to buy it from an online vape shop. Personally I bought mine from MyFreedomVapes:

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/nico...solutions.html

You can buy the solution in a small bottle in various sizes, nicotine levels, and prices ranging from $17 for 125ml up to $50 for 500ml

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/nico...nflavored.html

Or you can spend $50 for a 1 liter bottle of 100mg/ml solution

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/nico...iter-sale.html

which makes a HUGE amount of juice. For example, if you wanted to make a quart of juice (240ml) with a final nicotine level of 18mg then you would only add 43ml of the nicotine solution to the mix. With that single 1 liter bottle you've got enough nicotine solution to make 23.25 quarts (Almost 6 gallons) of juice at 18mg strength. Even more at lower strength.

The last part is the flavorings which are usually just standard food and candy flavoring concentrates. What you need depends on your own taste. One thing though, do NOT use flavor extracts from the grocery store. They're almost always around 95% alcohol with just a touch of flavor concentrate. Flavorings are dirt cheap, usually around $2 per flavor which is enough to make a quart or more of juice.

So, for an investment of maybe $110-$120 you can get enough liquid to make a little over 2 gallons of juice plus enough flavoring to make a couple of dozen different flavors. If you're not wanting to buy that much at first go with the quart bottles of Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin along with a 125ml bottle of 100mg nicotine solution and your startup price is down to around $65 for enough to make a half gallon of juice.

And DEFINITELY go to this site, the Sticky threads here will tell you virtually everything you need to know including suppliers, mixing calculators, etc...:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/

And here is a HUGE source of recipes for just about every flavor you can imagine:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...iquid-recipes/

The whole site is packed full of friendly and helpful people who can tell you just about everything you ever wanted to know about ecigs.

And if you're just not wanting to deal with the hassle but still want to save money on your juice, go to Mount Baker Vapor.

http://www.mtbakervapor.com/

230ml bottle of premade juice costs just $36. One bottle lasts my wife nearly 3 months. Use the coupon code of ECF for 10% off. (Works all of the time) Also use their Free Shipping option. Their standard shipping is USPS Express and you'll usually get it within 3 days. Why pay extra when you can get it within 3 days for free and even have Saturday delivery?

Last edited by Moustang; 3/13/15 at 10:27 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I found out the other day my buddy started making and selling the juice that goes into those things. It costs him under 2 bucks per little bottle to make which he sells for 9 bucks. Then the retailer sells it for 18 bucks. Nice racket.

Yeah, if you're buying gallon bottle of PG and VG and a 1 liter bottle of 100mg solution then you end up with roughly 70 of the 30ml bottles of mixed juice. That will cost you $120 including flavorings for a variety of flavors for a net cost of $1.71 per 30ml bottle for the juice. Toss in the bottles and you're right about $2 per bottle.

Most shops will sell a 30ml bottle for $15-$20. The savings of DYI is HUGE.

Last edited by Moustang; 3/13/15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 10:59 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Moustang
Yeah, if you're buying gallon bottle of PG and VG and a 1 liter bottle of 100mg solution then you end up with roughly 70 of the 30ml bottles of mixed juice. That will cost you $120 including flavorings for a variety of flavors for a net cost of $1.71 per 30ml bottle for the juice. Toss in the bottles and you're right about $2 per bottle.

Most shops will sell a 30ml bottle for $15-$20. The savings of DYI is HUGE.
Mountain Oak Vapors is the juice I've been using. Its $8 a bottle (15ml) or 3 for $20. Or 3 30ml bottles for $35.

After some of the **** I've read, I'm scared to mix my own. I've seen that the high volume nicotine liquids are so highly poisonous that you basically need a HAZMAT suit to mix them because the nicotine liquid is so poisonous, any contact with skin can kill you if its the high volume liquids.

I'm afraid of that **** when it comes to mixing my own stuff, I'd rather buy it already in a bottle that tastes good and is certified to be free of bad stuff.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/13/15 at 11:04 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 11:04 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm glad you quit smoking Lee

There's been a couple times this year I thought about having just one but after all the other times I quit and fell back I knew I just couldn't do it.

I feel fine now and have lost the urge and since nobody I know smokes it's much easier. Most the times I backslid was because someone I worked with smoked and it was just to tempting watching them smoke.

I'm clean now lol
Old 3/13/15, 11:13 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I'm glad you quit smoking Lee

There's been a couple times this year I thought about having just one but after all the other times I quit and fell back I knew I just couldn't do it.

I feel fine now and have lost the urge and since nobody I know smokes it's much easier. Most the times I backslid was because someone I worked with smoked and it was just to tempting watching them smoke.

I'm clean now lol
To be honest, there have been a couple days this week that I wanted a cigarette so bad I couldn't stand it. I mean I REALLY wanted one when I woke up, even had dreams about smoking one. Worst feelings I've had for wanting to smoke one, but I just fogged up the strong ecig juice and got over it.

I'm not going to lie, it was hard. I had dreams about smoking, and when I woke up I really wanted to smoke one. It took a lot to get over it by puffing on the 24mg eliquid for a little bit.

I think I actually might be able to get over it using this stuff. Never been able to say that before in 30 years.

At least I hope I will.

Quick Reply: The Vape Thread