Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Are Teens Losing Interest in Cars and Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/13, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Did you see that statistic I just posted? The AVERAGE price of a new car today is $31,252. Even at 5 years old that's still a $20,000+ car. And that's not a special car, it's not a luxury car, that is an AVERAGE car. Now, an average teenager working 25 hours per week at a minimum wage fast food job will make a little over $7k per year after taxes. If they started working at 16 and didn't spend a dime of their earnings they would be able to buy that 5 year old average car by the time they are 19.
Many low mileage, less than a couple of year old cars can be had for sub-$20k. Obviously, every single thing over the years is being geared towards financing and credit, etc. And again, I was just saying that not every kid who drives a nice car had parents that bought it for them.
Old 12/31/13, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im 17, last year i got my 2003 gt(my build car) and soon after a 2005 gt convertable.. i never had a real job and no my parents dont pay for them i bought them cash, (they pay insurance tho because they get it dirt cheap) but anyways i bought and solf storage units for 2 years and it got me the money now im looking for a job because that venture has slowed down and need a more reliable paycheck.. but i have to say paying 75 bucks for a unit and getting over 10k was quite a nice pay check!! Thst unit had a old 1972 ford truck, a trailor, small boat, 2 riding lawn mowers, 2 scrap engines, a bunch of antoque tools, a vintage honda motorcycle(getting that thing appart for parts was hell honda sucks) all in one unit not counting the 4 sets of rims and 1200 pounds of scrap medal haha also found another one i got for 125 and found 3k worth of danbury mint diecasts.. im either lucky or these mustangs was ment for me
Old 12/31/13, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by johnbeeney6
Im 17, last year i got my 2003 gt(my build car) and soon after a 2005 gt convertable.. i never had a real job and no my parents dont pay for them i bought them cash, (they pay insurance tho because they get it dirt cheap) but anyways i bought and solf storage units for 2 years and it got me the money now im looking for a job because that venture has slowed down and need a more reliable paycheck.. but i have to say paying 75 bucks for a unit and getting over 10k was quite a nice pay check!! Thst unit had a old 1972 ford truck, a trailor, small boat, 2 riding lawn mowers, 2 scrap engines, a bunch of antoque tools, a vintage honda motorcycle(getting that thing appart for parts was hell honda sucks) all in one unit not counting the 4 sets of rims and 1200 pounds of scrap medal haha also found another one i got for 125 and found 3k worth of danbury mint diecasts.. im either lucky or these mustangs was ment for me
Drug dealer much?
Old 1/1/14, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by 03DJ

Drug dealer much?
Nope
Old 1/1/14, 05:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
Did you see that statistic I just posted? The AVERAGE price of a new car today is $31,252. Even at 5 years old that's still a $20,000+ car. And that's not a special car, it's not a luxury car, that is an AVERAGE car. Now, an average teenager working 25 hours per week at a minimum wage fast food job will make a little over $7k per year after taxes. If they started working at 16 and didn't spend a dime of their earnings they would be able to buy that 5 year old average car by the time they are 19.
I'll assume your stats are accurate since I have no reason to not believe you. And those are good points. But let's not sell the other side short.

Just because the AVG is up, doesn't mean there aren't TONS of cars that can be had mildly used for $10-15k. Shoot, you can find NEW cars for $10-15k. The Hyundai Accent and Chevy Spark come to mind. Also interest rates are significantly lower today than they were even 5 yrs ago.

Just trying to point out that there are things in favor of kids still getting cars at 16. Which makes this phenomenon even stranger.

I think it comes down to today's youth being lazy (not working) and the interest and or need for cars declining.
Old 1/1/14, 05:42 PM

I would have to agree, the whole miley cyrus pile of crap pretty much shows that. There still is intrest but no where near as it did in my dads teenage years, it moght be because all the new laws on cars and tree hugers and such saying there bad and the wierd gay types are growing thats a definete reasons why peolle taking care of and customizing cars is down for young people but overal because jobs are a little harder to get, kids are raised soft and give up and theyre to **** lazy to do anything but play call of duty, and saddly i only see things getting worse from here all i know is when i have kids theyll definetly grow up to like and respect cars!
Old 1/5/14, 03:53 PM
V6 Member

Not me! i love driving and just cruising around with friends. Started to love driving since I was like 10 racing go-karts. I believe alot of it is kids my age are playing video games all day and have no interest in being social, along with crazy high insurance rates and the price of modding cars now
Old 1/5/14, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_Jon
Not me! i love driving and just cruising around with friends. Started to love driving since I was like 10 racing go-karts. I believe alot of it is kids my age are playing video games all day and have no interest in being social, along with crazy high insurance rates and the price of modding cars now
Someone i know he's 17 and has a 2012 mustang gt, and they pay around $350 a month for insurance i thought thats crazy, that has to be close to the car payment itsself
Old 1/5/14, 04:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Someone i know he's 17 and has a 2012 mustang gt, and they pay around $350 a month for insurance i thought thats crazy, that has to be close to the car payment itsself
The parents need a serious talking to. No offense.
Old 1/5/14, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio

The parents need a serious talking to. No offense.
Why? Btw they didnt pay for the car he saved up since he was 12 and has a good paying job.
Old 1/5/14, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why? Btw they didnt pay for the car he saved up since he was 12 and has a good paying job.
How does he have a good paying job at 17? And where did the money come from when he was 12? You cant mow that many yards...
Old 1/5/14, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife

How does he have a good paying job at 17? And where did the money come from when he was 12? You cant mow that many yards...
He and i both used to clean old peoples houses and shovel drive ways and ect, he is working for a small construction landscaping company, that usually does it for rich people(1 million+ houses) he makes $17 a hour plus he gets tips time to time last summer he got a $600 tip from the CEO if catipillar for doing landscaping for his front yard.
Old 1/5/14, 05:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Easy. Money aside. As a parent, I'd be concerned about safety. Please don't give me the. "Maturity" and responsible spiel. I've been a high school teacher for many moons. Kids do stupid things...especially behind the wheel of cars like that.
Old 1/5/14, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

and thats why im not driving a 5.0 haha
Old 1/5/14, 05:38 PM

Easy. Money aside. As a parent, I'd be concerned about safety. Please don't give me the. "Maturity" and responsible spiel. I've been a high school teacher for many moons. Kids do stupid things...especially behind the wheel of cars like that.
I own a 2003 gt and a 2005 gt convertable, ive went 165mph before.. at a track. just because your young does not mean your stupid and it really shows your not stupid if you've worked so hard to grt that car, the things i see teens do with cars there parents gave them and they dont care about is pretty sad.. when i was in vegas with my family(cross country trip) we rented a lamborghini for one day( it was half off it costed $500 also had to have insurance and background check) they let me drive it. If you baby your kids, your kids will grow up soft.. you have to let them do whst they want as long as its not crazy or out of hand the worst thing my parents could ever do is stop me from geting or customizing my cars, my dad grew up a drug addict(hasnt done anything in 20 years) and cars building cars dixing them loving them keeps kids out of trouble if you love your car you wont be stupid wi5h it.. yes theres people who die in crashes that love there cars bur theres people who die from everything else also.. My town was destroyed by a tornado a month and a half ago (washington,il) i would nuch rather be conserned with my kids about tornados than what car they own and 26 year olds atleadt the people im around are not kids, hell im already engaged and looking at where to move when i turn 18 in less than a year, i couldnt be a prouder dad than if my kid had a 500hp car as there first car.. and the only way theyll get thst is if there a good smart kid.
Old 1/5/14, 05:44 PM

And if you dont trust your kid in a new 5.0, then the kid was not raised right id there raised right then they would know not to go in and out of traffic going 120mph ect.. and if there not raised right its very unlickly they'll be able to afford a 30k+ car. And beileve me my mom works at a middle school and my grandmpa used to be incharge of the highschool, middle school, and grade school
Old 1/5/14, 05:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink Hard work can get things at a young age

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Back in the day, a young man I know bought a brand new 1977 Trans Am.
Every option, cost a little less than a loaded Cadillac.
He was 17 and worked 2 good paying jobs.
He was the kitchen manger of a popular restaurant at one them.
I think he had started there at age 14.
Granted he quit high school and got a GED, but it can be done.
Old 1/5/14, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by karman
Just did the same thing getting my GED done in a few months and starting collage classes this summer and have a new job set already at a bodyshop when i turn 18.
Old 1/5/14, 07:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
And if you dont trust your kid in a new 5.0, then the kid was not raised right id there raised right then they would know not to go in and out of traffic going 120mph ect.. and if there not raised right its very unlickly they'll be able to afford a 30k+ car. And beileve me my mom works at a middle school and my grandmpa used to be incharge of the highschool, middle school, and grade school
First, there are so many things wrong with this post, not to mention the rest of your posts in this thread that I don't even know where to begin. So I won't. All I'll say is, if you honestly think the way you post, God help you.

Originally Posted by karman
Can it be done? Yes. Is it done? Yeah...about as often as flawless, ten-carat diamonds are made. The point is that there is a reason better than 99 of 100 kids drive hand-me-downs and beaters. There's also a very good reason insurance companies charge kids a car payment every month to insure them.
Old 1/5/14, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Another factor nobody mentions is that in my State they legally limit the number of hours a kid can work so it's not like they can work multiple jobs and make all kinds of money to buy a nice car. These days the gov't has its foot on your throat if you're a teenager. When I was a kid we had way more freedom.

Quick Reply: Are Teens Losing Interest in Cars and Driving?