Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

SMOKIN' SOME RIBS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/12 | 07:04 AM
I Have No Life

SMOKIN' SOME RIBS!!!

Gotta love summer. Prepped FOUR racks last night, removed the membrane, trimmed the rib tips off, dry rubbed them, and let them marinade in all that goodness last night. I did 4 different rubs, all dry: A Memphis dry rub, A pork rub from Galena, a Smokey D's rub (great rib place around here that's won many awards, and a simple pepper/Lawry's rub. One of them I put thai chiles on for some major kick.

Party later on at 3 pm, folks coming in. I am starting the smoker at 10 am. Will cook at 175 degree temp. Debating on whether to use hickory or mesquite or other wood chips. Hmmmm suggestions? Oh, also, using a combo of briquette and lump charcoal.

Yesterday morning was car detailing. Today, it's SMOKING MEAT!!! (In Tim Allen's voice... GRrrrrrrrrrrrr)

GOD I LOVE SUMMER.

Here's some pics (OF COURSE I'd have pics. You guys KNOW I love pics... lol.) I will update with more pics later on today, as I am cooking hehehehehe. Should I do HDR photos??? HAHAHAHA

removing the membrane in one swoop

Name:  DSC_0698.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  74.3 KB

RIBTIPS! My favorite...

Name:  DSC_0700.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  132.1 KB

Enough meat for 8 people???? what y'all think?

Name:  DSC_0701.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  121.0 KB

10 am Update

It is ALMOST time to start UNholy fire to the bbq gods.... getting it all ready. Need to soak the wood chips here in water so they will smolder nice and even.....

Name:  DSC_0375.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  196.8 KB

And what's bbq in the summer without fruits, esp Watermelon???

Charcoal briquettes and lump, are doused with fluid, and soaking for 10 minutes. After that, as Rafiki from Lion King says... "It is TIME...."

Name:  DSC_0376.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  138.9 KB

Ok pics... sorry for delay. As soon as folks started arriving, it was b*lls to the wall. I got a couple pics in, but nothing really good when it was cooked. I didn't want to "disturb" the racks as they were "tenderizing" under foil for about 1-1/2 hours.

Results were great! It looks like the Thai Chile infused rub and the Memphis style dry rub won out as the favorites by us and our guests. I need to make more hot ribs. Overall, was a great time. Plenty of food, great company, and GREAT times. Was a blast.

Placed on the rack to start. This was just the racks, the rib tips I did after. Sorry no pic of the rib tips, or the 9 ears of corn I made too...lol. It was CHAOS!

Name:  DSC_0379.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  146.1 KB

After 3 hours or so on the grill. I wanted to modulate the temps down to 180ish, but I didn't have enough time, so I kept it at about 220 or so. The key is really in the initial fire setup. Gotta get it perfect at the desire temp immediately, then it's consistent throughout.

Here's the finished product. Sorry not enough good pics. We were TOO HUNGRY. LOL...

Name:  DSC_0380.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  146.5 KB

Last edited by FromZto5; 6/11/12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 6/10/12 | 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Wait!!! no HDR???

Looking Good... enjoy the meal!
Old 6/10/12 | 07:12 AM
Cobra Member

OMGOSH! I want!
Old 6/10/12 | 07:15 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by carfreak666
Wait!!! no HDR???

Looking Good... enjoy the meal!
HAHAHAHA. I CAN! I'll set up my tripod for a quick 5 exposure burst

Originally Posted by ManInABox
OMGOSH! I want!
Me too. I want it for breakfast. LOL.

I'll update thread with in process photos to make you all drool more.
Old 6/10/12 | 07:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
HAHAHAHA. I CAN! I'll set up my tripod for a quick 5 exposure burst

Me too. I want it for breakfast. LOL.

I'll update thread with in process photos to make you all drool more.
Me too, i would destroy that for breakfast!
Old 6/10/12 | 09:39 AM
I Have No Life

10 am update:

It is ALMOST time to start UNholy fire to the bbq gods.... getting it all ready. Need to soak the wood chips here in water so they will smolder nice and even.....

Name:  DSC_0375.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  196.8 KB

And what's bbq in the summer without fruits, esp Watermelon???

Name:  DSC_0372.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  94.1 KB

Charcoal briquettes and lump, are doused with fluid, and soaking for 10 minutes. After that, as Rafiki from Lion King says... "It is TIME...."

Name:  DSC_0376.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  138.9 KB

Last edited by FromZto5; 6/10/12 at 09:55 AM.
Old 6/10/12 | 03:44 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Love some smoked Ribs. I brine mine for about 12-16 hours prior to smoking though to bring hte flavor through the meat and also help break down some of the tougher tendons and connective tissue. Regardless Ribs are deliciousness

Looking forward to the during cook and after pics
Old 6/11/12 | 01:35 PM
I Have No Life

Ok pics... sorry for delay. As soon as folks started arriving, it was b*lls to the wall. I got a couple pics in, but nothing really good when it was cooked. I didn't want to "disturb" the racks as they were "tenderizing" under foil for about 1-1/2 hours.

Results were great! It looks like the Thai Chile infused rub and the Memphis style dry rub won out as the favorites by us and our guests. I need to make more hot ribs. Overall, was a great time. Plenty of food, great company, and GREAT times. Was a blast.

Placed on the rack to start. This was just the racks, the rib tips I did after. Sorry no pic of the rib tips, or the 9 ears of corn I made too...lol. It was CHAOS!

Name:  DSC_0379.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  146.1 KB

After 3 hours or so on the grill. I wanted to modulate the temps down to 180ish, but I didn't have enough time, so I kept it at about 220 or so. The key is really in the initial fire setup. Gotta get it perfect at the desire temp immediately, then it's consistent throughout.

Here's the finished product. Sorry not enough good pics. We were TOO HUNGRY. LOL...

Name:  DSC_0380.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  146.5 KB