Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Religion

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/08, 01:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Religion

Go!!

Last edited by codeman94; 6/13/08 at 06:38 PM.
Old 6/13/08, 01:56 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL awesome.

Not sure how to start this out.

I am a Christian.

Anyone of different faith please come and debate!
Old 6/13/08, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Religion is Religion.
Old 6/13/08, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placeholder for future comments.
Old 6/13/08, 02:37 PM

As far as Western religion is concerned, Jews (Judaism), Christians (catholic and protestant) and Muslims (Islam) all believe in the same God….the “God of Abraham” from the Old Testament. Muslims then came out of the lineage of Ishmael, the first son of Abraham. The Arabs then grew away from Jewish tradition and recognized Mohammed as their prophet, (or God incarnate) “Allah” directly translates to English as “God.” Allah is not the name of the Islam god. That is a common misconception.

Jews are still waiting for their prophesied messiah. They do not believe that Jesus was God has he claimed to be, and that is why they had him killed. (I’m not making anti-Jew statements, this is historically accurate information, check you history books.) They do not believe in Mohammed either, because Jews are from the lineage of Isaac. (Ishmael’s half brother) Ishmael was born out of wedlock to Abraham and Sarah’s slave because Sarah, his wife was barren, and they were confused on how they were to obtain the son God promised. They grew impatient. Isaac was the promised biological miracle son the Abraham and Sarah late in their lives. Judaism is very family, or “blood based”…that is why the Jews are considered both the religion and a race of people.

Christians are the “evolution” of the Jews. There was never meant to be two separate religions. Jesus came not to abolish but to complete what He (God) had started. The separation came when some Jews did not believe the divinity of Jesus and their families continued to practice Judaism. The Christ followers continued to teach as Christ and there eventually became two different belief systems. The separation between catholics and protestants is a whole different animal, and not essential to what I am writing. I’ll get into that if someone is interested.

All three religions regard the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) as legit religious writings for their faiths.

…this is what I have learned in school…I could be a little rusty, so if a Jew, Muslim, or Christian is around here that sees something wrong, please correct me! I know very little about eastern religions, I'd be intrested in learning about them too..(Arin)...pm me if you dont want to get into all of this.

Last edited by codeman94; 6/13/08 at 02:52 PM.
Old 6/13/08, 02:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Religion is just a set of ideas, values, or experiences developed by people as part of a cultural matrix.
Old 6/13/08, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

You mean the world was not created in seven days!
Old 6/13/08, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by the procrastinator
You mean the world was not created in seven days!
...According to western religion it was.
Old 6/13/08, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

But that's what I learned in Catholic schools in the northeast.
Old 6/13/08, 03:06 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 201 Likes on 131 Posts
Oh boy
Attached Images  
Old 6/13/08, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry. I need to switch to decaf.
Old 6/13/08, 03:48 PM
Needs to be more Astony

It is true by biblical accounts the earth was created in 7 days. The other side of the debate is Evolution. Neather can be proved or disproved and neither can give answer if there is a god or not. So it really is a moot point in disscussion about religion.
Old 6/13/08, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Oh boy

I've never seen that pic before....nice
Old 6/13/08, 04:46 PM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
I respect the right of everyone to believe what they want....as long as they don't try to force it on me....

With that said I've had experience with MANY religions.....while there are some churches that do good work...primarily Religion is BIG business...this is proven by the Many Multi-Million dollar churches...IMO, there is NO justification to spend 10 million dollars on a church...that money could do far better things in the community than a fancy building to worship in.

Religion can also be a crutch for many....not that there is anything wrong with that, if he helps one get through life then it has a positive impact.

I believe that if you live your life and do your best to do right by your fellow man and not do wrong to anyone then you are doing the right thing. I don't believe that you should be expected to give a percentage of your paycheck to the church....if the church is doing good things for the community and you can afford to give then by all means give....but those people just making it by should not be preached to and expected to give out of what they are barely or not even surviving on each week.

I am not an athiest but I am practical and rational....my mother was English and brought up Roman Catholic, My father was brought up under Church of the Nazarene....both what I consider pretty heavy handed religious faiths. Religion was never "forced" on me or my brother...however I have had different religions try to "force" their beliefs on me. I attended a Southern Baptist school my senior year of High school and while it was in the Northeast I have found that they were FAR more radical than the Southern Baptists I have met in the South which I have found to be very friendly. In High School the Southern Baptists I was exposed to were VERY forceful in trying to shove their beliefs down your throat....I am the type that if you push, I push back...only harder so I didn't get along well with that mentality.

I also welcome debates even today with some who fight the lottery....we are the ONLY state left in this country without one and some try to play the "religion card" and say it is gambling and immoral but those SAME people have stocks in the stock market which is also by definition...Gambling. These same people also drive out of state specifically to buy lottery tickets. The bottom line I feel there is they are afraid it will take money out of the collection plates but they fail to see the ridiculous shame of the Georgia commercial with kids thanking Alabama residents for their money because they drive over there for a lottery ticket and their lottery pays for eduction. In reality the money is already being spent....just in another state. h

People should be allowed to live their own lives and make their own decisions....too many religions these days are trying to live peoples lives FOR them and dictate what they can and cannot do.....we are human and bound to make mistakes....learning from those mistakes is what is important and religion should be treated as a guide to living and not a mandate with threats for behavior.

I've seen things in different religions I find good and things I find a little out of hand. I think some religions take things TOO literally and others use common sense and rational outlooks to interpret what they read.

When I used to write service for a Mercedes dealership I made some interesting notations....What I am about to reference is not racist by any means just an observation of different cultures and their beliefs.....while at the Benz dealer I noticed we had 4 customers who were preachers....3 African American and one white....the white preacher I believe was Methodist but I can't remember exactly....he drove an early 80's 300D with over 300K miles on it....the 3 African American preachers drove a brand new Mercedes Benz and had added chrome accents, wheels and one had a personalized plate labeled "CLERGY4".....I got into a discussion with another dealership employee and asked him how he would feel about his preacher driving a new benz and his response was "Preacher should have a nice car"....I replied "A nice car is a new Thunderbird, NOT a $75K Mercedes Benz!".....sorry but I have a problem about people putting money in the collection plate and then watching the Preacher drive a car that has a payment the size of a Mortgage payment....but that's different beliefs for different cultures.

I also helped a friend do Mirror work in a new church being built outside Washington D.C. ....the mirror work alone in this church was 2 million dollars! and the preacher had 2 Mercedes, private onsite living quarters and a helicopter pad.....I have a problem with that as well. With so many people needing real help I think it is wasteful to spend that kind of money on a building and luxury items for someone who has supposedly taken a life oath of service to God. Hence my Big Business reference is confirmed in cases like this.

I could go on and on but I think this is enough for discussion at this time

I also like the can of worms picture...

Now, Religion and Politics are touchy subjects because they can often get out of hand....as long as this thread stays mature and doesn't resort to a free for all or downward spiral it will stay but if it gets out of hand it will have to be closed.....
Old 6/13/08, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

the world was created in 6 days YHVH rested on the 7th
Old 6/13/08, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greywolf
the world was created in 6 days YHVH rested on the 7th
...Smarty Pants...
Old 6/13/08, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

A couple of points sometimes I dont express myself well but I will try. #1 The god of Islam is not the same as the true God of christians. The Jesus of the bible is not the same as the Jesus that many claim to follow. Just because someone says they follow God doesnt mean they do. They take the true God and change him to fit what they want by changeing what the bible says to what they think it should say. God is Holy which means set apart, unique, to be used for one purpose. He is also jealous and just. Not mans justice but true justice since he can know all things. He is the creator and therefore has the right to do with His creation anything He wishes. #2 Many so called christians say they follow God and Jesus but they do not they decieve themselves. Many Jews claim to follow God but they follow the way of there own god the god of the rabbis not the god of the TaNaK most read their scriptures very little and spend their time learning what the rabbis say. I would say of the people in the USA who say they are christian i would be surprised if more than 30 percent really are. #3 Bible time
Jas 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Old 6/13/08, 06:17 PM

#1 The god of Islam is not the same as the true God of christians. The Jesus of the bible is not the same as the Jesus that many claim to follow.
Christians believe that Jesus is God, and Muslims do not. And by not worshiping Jesus, Muslims cease to worship the same God as Christains? I'm guessing thats what you mean?
Old 6/13/08, 06:23 PM
Needs to be more Astony

A couple of points sometimes I dont express myself well but I will try. #1 The god of Islam is not the same as the true God of christians. The Jesus of the bible is not the same as the Jesus that many claim to follow. Just because someone says they follow God doesnt mean they do. They take the true God and change him to fit what they want by changeing what the bible says to what they think it should say. God is Holy which means set apart, unique, to be used for one purpose. He is also jealous and just. Not mans justice but true justice since he can know all things. He is the creator and therefore has the right to do with His creation anything He wishes. #2 Many so called christians say they follow God and Jesus but they do not they decieve themselves. Many Jews claim to follow God but they follow the way of there own god the god of the rabbis not the god of the TaNaK most read their scriptures very little and spend their time learning what the rabbis say. I would say of the people in the USA who say they are christian i would be surprised if more than 30 percent really are. #3 Bible time
Jas 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their afflictions, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
The problem with this perspective is that you are expecting anyone that claims to be "christian" to be acting different then a non christian. When really the only real part of it is to beleive and claim christ as your savior. It is true that to follow gods exact words you would act differently and infact act as jesus would. But works don't get you to heaven. So its all great and everything but a person can be a christian without appearing saint like in everything they do. Even if it is what to strive for.
Old 6/13/08, 06:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
What the heck. I'll jump into the fray.
Okay, here's my little etymological 2 cents.
Scientific theory is an explanation of actual observable things.
Sir Isaac Newton's theory of universal gravitation works just fine.
http://www.notjustatheory.com/
Originally Posted by Knight
It is true by biblical accounts the earth was created in 7 days. The other side of the debate is Evolution. Neither can be proved or disproved and neither can give answer if there is a god or not. So it really is a moot point in discussion about religion.
Maybe God created the world in 6 days.
I don't know, I wasn't there.
I don't know WHEN Evolution started I only know for a fact that it exists.
Evolution is a moot point of discussion only because it truly exists.
It is not the "other side" to anything.
It just exists.

Quick Reply: Religion