Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

PULLED OVER

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/04, 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Except they're not fog lights. Too high up to do any good in the fog.
Old 11/28/04, 02:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by garyr2548@November 28, 2004, 2:35 PM
WOW all I can say is that the original post is major

As one of the resident cops that occasionally posts to this site I have to add my imput......
I think is was already said but...

...... Night time with 4 lights burning in a moving vehicle???????????

I seriously doubt that there is any way that that cop knew that you were black. You may never know why he pulled you over, maybe they were too bright oncoming. Its something new, remember that. It threw me off the first time I saw it at night also. So you may not know why. You didnt get cited, or any piece of paper. It may have been a mistake. There may have been a totality of circumstances that led to your stop that you have no clue about.

And for the complaint.... I'm sure that officer appreciates that. Remember that complaint the next time you call for a cop to handle a situation that you cant or wont. Oh yeah, and remember to file another one when he comes to help you. Your complaint is completely unfounded, and any good supervisor would find the same and polietly tell you to pound sand.

Sorry to all about the tone of my reply, but it really pissed me off.

Gary
I agree with everything you said, as well as the others who asked how the cop could even tell what the driver looked like at night...? The original poster basically says in his post he "thinks" he MAY HAVE BEEN profiled.... YET HE FILES A COMPLAINT?????

For what? POSSIBLE PROFILING?

Good job. He doesnt know for sure, but he's willing to risk harming someones career over a guess...

That said, this thread should get locked.

Old 11/28/04, 02:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've never been pulled over after owning 2 'Stangs for 11 years.....I don't know, maybe it's just the low profile of the LX notch.....
Old 11/28/04, 02:40 PM
GT Member

How come you guys always want to lock a thread when a touchy issue comes up? As along as the topic is discussed reasonably let the sensitive issue threads stay open.

:angry:
Old 11/28/04, 02:47 PM
GT Member

I dont think it should be closed because its "touchy". It should be closed because there is nothing to argue about. That's the thing about the "racial profiling" issue. How do you prove it? One guy says "he pulled me over cause I am black" the other says "no he didnt".

Whats to argue? Other than it was at night and the guy didnt get a ticket or anything, and he admits it was "possibly" profiling. Yet he still files a complaint even though he is not sure...
Old 11/28/04, 02:50 PM

So my point is, totality of circumstances. If PA is very strict then there you go. Four full sized lights to the front is not very common. Like I said earlier, it catches you off guard. I already admitted I had to do a double take the first time I saw it at night. I hammer ricers and other that put stupid stuff in their cars because its distracting and there are statutes that cover it. Neon in windows, red / blue / green /whatever lights in the washer fluid ports, colored fog lights other than white or amber, strobes, white light turn signals etc..... Call me what you want, but they are distracting. That equals crashes.

I agree that he could have apologized, fine but if he wanted to look at statutes he can. Ive made mistakes and apologized for it but that is me. You always have to look for the totality, there only one of us were there and since he was offended you get a biased version of the story. No matter what the case, there are perceptions. And that perception is that persons reality.

Now with the issues for the stop, fine, argue that all day. But he was let go with no paper. My problem was not that, it was the filing of a profiling complaint. That was my problem. No way could it be determind that he was black, yellow, purple ect....

Again, sorry if my replies rubbed someone the wrong way, but I felt I needed to say something.

Gary

If you are interested, here are the headlight requirements for the state of PA, its it complex, far more than FL. So if you interested. take a look. After reading it, you can see there are specific size limitation as well as intensity specifications. Just thought you would like to see.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chap...chap153toc.html
Old 11/28/04, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

It's illegal in fla to drive with just your fog lights on at night, but ok if during day like daytime running lights got a tix for it .......they must have been profilin white dudes that day.
Old 11/28/04, 03:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by SeniorStang@November 28, 2004, 10:43 AM
On the subject of profiling: I wish I had a buck for each time one of my my protectors (read that "police officers") did a u-turn after passing me going the other way (my darned Vert almost always seems to be going a bit over the speed limit), follows me a while then approaches only to see my grey beard (read that: "grey beard") and peels off to look for easier pickin's. I suspect he (or she) is looking for someone who, given a bit of time, will do something really stupid.
i'll remember to keep a grey beard handy next time that happens to me
thanks for the advice nobody likes to bother old people (or people that look old)
Old 11/28/04, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

DWB???? Give me a break!
Old 11/28/04, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

THose fog lightsd arent even bright enough to to any difference
Old 11/28/04, 04:43 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

I'm a white guy; DWB does exist. I've heard cops talking about it (I used to be a Martial Arts instructor with multiple cop students). On the other hand, 95% of the time it happens, it is probably not about color, but about something else and the color of the driver was not the issue. Look at Rodney King, he wasn't beaten because he was black -- he was beaten because he ran a stop, ran from cops, was drugged, charged them when they told him to stay down (and after they'd tazed him multiple times), and kept getting up. I'd dealt with LA cops back then, and frankly, they'd have done the same to a mexican, samoan, indian, asian or white guy. It was about contempt of cop, not color. But most blacks in the area (or nationally) thought it was about color, because they'd been harassed enough that they were hyper-sensitive to the issue. Such is life. As they say, for blacks it is always about color, and for whites it is never about color -- and of course, the truth is somewhere in between....
Old 11/28/04, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by vwAirCooled+November 28, 2004, 3:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vwAirCooled @ November 28, 2004, 3:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-garyr2548@November 28, 2004, 2:35 PM

As one of the resident cops that occasionally posts to this site I have to add my imput......

I seriously doubt that there is any way that that cop knew that you were black. You may never know why he pulled you over, maybe they were too bright oncoming. Its something new, remember that. It threw me off the first time I saw it at night also. So you may not know why. You didnt get cited, or any piece of paper. It may have been a mistake. There may have been a totality of circumstances that led to your stop that you have no clue about.

And for the complaint.... I'm sure that officer appreciates that. Remember that complaint the next time you call for a cop to handle a situation that you cant or wont. Oh yeah, and remember to file another one when he comes to help you. Your complaint is completely unfounded, and any good supervisor would find the same and polietly tell you to pound sand.

Gary
I agree with everything you said, as well as the others who asked how the cop could even tell what the driver looked like at night...? The original poster basically says in his post he "thinks" he MAY HAVE BEEN profiled.... YET HE FILES A COMPLAINT?????

Good job. He doesnt know for sure, but he's willing to risk harming someones career over a guess...

[/b][/quote]
I don't see why it should be closed, it's an issue and we all have the right to talk about it freely.....
Old 11/28/04, 05:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Police profile all of the time. Since 9/11 I am sure that it has been for other reasons. But as a white guy, I was stopped and searched all of the time. Why?
Several years ago, my three year old picked the color of her dad's new car. Purple. Never again! Long hair unshaven and a Hawiian shirt got me stopped twice where the car was searched and once where I got a ticket. That was in 1997.

Short hair cut now (flat top), 03 black GT Vert. Stopped three times. No tickets. Looked more like a cop than the cops stopping me. Was speeding on two of those stops, but just agreed that they were right. IF I was black, two tickets for sure?

How you look is all a cop can go by. If the police officer is bent on the racial thing then the general public will suffer and hopefully the record of that police officer will dictate corrective action by his superiors over time. Its a tough issue. Even for Black cops I am sure.
Old 11/28/04, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 38special@November 28, 2004, 7:56 PM

How you look is all a cop can go by. If the police officer is bent on the racial thing then the general public will suffer and hopefully the record of that police officer will dictate corrective action by his superiors over time. Its a tough issue. Even for Black cops I am sure.
I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about here .38... Law Enforcement is alot more than a traffic stop, etc..... Looks only play a small part in the big picture. If what you were saying was true, which it is NOT, then the only people that would be locked up, ticketed, would be Blacks and people that look like Bon Jovi.... so NOT true. Look up stats in just about any state on prison populations and tell us what you find. ps still looking for the topic here that involves an 05'??
Old 11/28/04, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 11/28/04, 06:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies+November 28, 2004, 6:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (montreal ponies @ November 28, 2004, 6:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by vwAirCooled@November 28, 2004, 3:36 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-garyr2548
@November 28, 2004, 2:35 PM

Gary

I don't see why it should be closed, it's an issue and we all have the right to talk about it freely..... [/b][/quote]
Fine, then move it to the off-topic forum.
Old 11/28/04, 06:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Hugle

Looks only play a small part in the big picture. If what you were saying was true, which it is NOT, then the only people that would be locked up, ticketed, would be Blacks and people that look like Bon Jovi.... so NOT true
I should have put IMO on my statement. Living in an area of the country where 50 percent of the population is black has given me some sympathy for the issue.

I did however say:
Its a tough issue.
I still think that in a street patrol situation, visual, i.e. looks, gets their attention. Other factors play into it afterwards.
Old 11/28/04, 06:39 PM
GT Member

I'm white, 33 years old, affluent(for my age), and I like fast cars. I've been stopped NUMEROUS times, enough to refer to myself as a cop magnet! Funny thing is, I haven't gotten a ticket in one of my fast cars, in which I speed routinely. All of my tickets over the years have been in my work trucks; Vans, pickups and such. AND...I was usually unaware of my speeding, re: these stops and tickets were for speeding like 52 in a 45 as an example. I'm not sure if that MAKES a case for profiling, or does it make a case AGAINST profiling? To me, it's all about where you are and when...if the conditions are right, you will be stopped by the police.
Old 11/28/04, 06:45 PM

The thing is that current low beams with or without fog/auxillary lights are really pushing the limit as far as how bright they are. I have no idea what the legal definition of a low beam is but as many of you may have seen for yourself there is a lot of annoying lights out there. I suppose the mustang is no different even though I have yet to see one with them on at night on the road. If you own a car/truck like that be prepared for some confrontation from time to time, your just exquisite feeling release of liquid waste product people off, legal or not. I guess its the price you pay to be "cool".

If you guys/gals think you have it bad as far as racial profiling goes, and want to know what it really feels like to get harrased by cops and the DOT then try driving semi sometime. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 11/28/04, 06:54 PM

If you buy a car like the Mustang be prepared to expect god and bad attention.I,ve been pulled over numerous times at drinking and driving roadblocks and i,m white!

Quick Reply: PULLED OVER