Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Possibly the Best Gift I Could Give

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/05, 06:02 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a call a few weeks ago that I am a partial bone marrow match to someone who needs a bone marrow transplant.

I am a partial match, so they have to do some blood tests over the Christmas break to see if I can help this person. Given that I know at least one person who lost their battle with leukemia, this hits close to home and it is a good feeling.

I encourage everyone to get themselves on a bone marrow registry. I don't think there is much better someone can do than helping a complete stranger have a chance at living a normal life.
Old 12/22/05, 06:37 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Very cool, Steve!

Hope you are able to help!
Old 12/22/05, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think what you are willing to do is awesome! After I give blood, I wonder about the people I may have helped. I've never needed any(other than my own!),but it's good to know people are out there willing to donate. I've never donated marrow, but to all you chickens out there, donating blood doesn't hurt!
Old 12/22/05, 10:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good on ya Steve! I used to give blood all the time until I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease. The medication I have to take disqualifies me now so I doubt I can do bone marrow either. It was a good feeling knowing you might have helped someone.
Old 12/23/05, 01:15 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
props to ya man

while we're talking about donating blood and the lot, is it true you have to be 17 to do so? cuz i went to the blood drive at my school, but i wasnt allowed to (im 16)

ah well, a few more months

we're all proud of ya dude
Old 12/23/05, 05:37 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on where you live, I would think 17 ot 18 is the minimum age.

As for the bone marrow, they were doing a drive for someone who needed a transplant almost 10 years ago. I went and it took me all of 5 minutes of my time, filled out some info and put me on a registry.

For me, its a great feeling I might be able to help someone, but at the same time there are people who can't find matches, that's why I posted about this, to encourage people to donate.

I found out a few months ago that someone I know is fighting leukemia as well, nicest guy in the world, hopefully someone can help him.
Old 12/23/05, 06:50 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thats cool Steve. Lots in my family have had cancer, but none have required a bone marrow transplant. Makes me happy knowing that other people out there including myself are willing to go through that for others.
Old 12/23/05, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve

I was a match too. A couple years ago our fire dept had a drive for Baby Frankie. An 18 month old with leukemia. Unfortunately no match was found for Baby Frankie but as a result of me entering the HLA registry I was found to be a match 6 for 6 for a guy in Chicago with non-hodgkins lymphona (sp). They told me as an unrelated marrow donor I was his last hope for survival. Well they did more tests on me drawing in the first session 6 viles of blood, then further tests where they drew 9 viles (I passed out on that one.. last thing I heard was the nurse shouting "he's going down!"). They then injected me with nupigen (sp) everyday for a week to grow my stem cells in my bone marrow and then I spent 2 days in the hospital in phuresus (sp? pronounced fur-ee-sus)) where they hooked me up to a machine and inserted a needle/tube into each arm. One drew my blood out of my body and the other put my blood back into my body. They syphoned all my blood through this machine to harvest the extra stem cells for the marrow transplant they were giving this guy. Last year I was told his cancer was in full remission and he was out of the hospital getting his life back.
Old 12/23/05, 04:01 PM
FR500 Member

Good to hear! I tried donating blood in the past, but they found Hepatitis (forgot which type - definitely not C) antibodies. Apparently I was exposed some time not too long before that. Major bummer because when I was 14, I had lost a lot of blood and got a transfusion. Always wanted to give back since there never seem to be enough donors.
Old 12/23/05, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I am O- and being the universal donor, try to give on a regular basis. I have also registered to be a marrow donor. They say that the odds of actually matching someone are fairly slim, you have a rare chance to help.