Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

OT: Just wondering....

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/04, 02:11 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by WaveMan2k3@May. 21st, 2004, 6:10 AM
hey guys i was just wondering... do u guys think i should dish out $20-28,000 USD to go to Wyotech and take coarses for owning for myself a Streetrod Shop... or not?

edit: see i just sold my '01 Mustang GT... so now i got money for post secondary and ever since i was 6 years old ive been designing cars and wanting to own my own shop. so do u guys think its a good plan? oh BTW im from Canada so its a big decision to make yah know...
Yes i do so you can come to florida open one here and you can hire me to design them for you
Old 5/21/04, 02:48 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
If you are good at it, why not get some experience on an established shop first? You also need to find out what it takes to run a shop, expenses, overhead, and personal budget has to be taken into account.
Old 5/21/04, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well Bullitt thats what i was going to do... i was going to go to Wyotech for the training and such then i was thinking about trying to get on at a well established hotrod shop like Foose Designs or Rad Rides By Troy... so that i can learn how to run a Hotrod shop from my heros in the industry themselves... then after ive done that for a bit and have gotten my name out in the industry by working of rods for whoever it is that i will be working for... i think i will design my first hotrod on my own seperate from the company i will be working for... and go all out on it for someone... cutting no corners... just making everything perfect and make sure that no one other then me and whoever it is thats helping me build the car... and then i think the first award i will try for with it will be... THE RIDDLER... now i know it would be extremely freaking hard and alot of work would have to be put into the car to win but if i do win heck making a hotrod that is good enough to even compete for the riddler i think will be a kick hiney jump start for my career and my own hotrod shop now where the shop would be located im not sure yet... but ive got plenty of time to think of where i will have it located... oh and BM... dude if i was to have the shop in Cali would u move there to help me design rods or will u only work for me as a designer if i have the shop in Florida?
Old 5/21/04, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

he could telecommute
Old 5/21/04, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

or he could just move to where ever the shop is located
Old 5/21/04, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL true...but living in FL is a LOT cheaper than living in CA
Old 5/21/04, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

yah but then u gotta deal with hurricains all the time too...
Old 5/21/04, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Hmm...I'm in school now, majoring in Graphic Design. If ya want to actually learn about engineering cars, go to Wyo, but if want to design like Foose, go to Art Center of Pasadena or Institute of Design of Michigian( i think thats the name, I might be wrong, and one of friends goes there to ) Anywho, Art Center is perhaps the best place to go for getting your feet wet in creating the look of cars...and Motor Trend has a contest for a scholarship every autumn B)
Old 5/21/04, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

okay hmm see these are the types of things i need to think about... hmm im going to have to check into those two schools too...
Old 5/21/04, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Talking

Umm, just one more thing... if you really want to get into the industry, put your name out and network... if ya go to a design school, see if any of the profs worked for a company(I had a class with the guy who designed the bumper for the chevette! ) Also, ask around the area your in, maybe someone knows someone...in any case, make yourself known

BTW, I'm not sure of that Mich school, but just look around the Detroit area, lots of the schools have design majors, and their sure to have connections(i.e. internships) to the Big 2.5 (unless you don't like the corp thing)

:edit:
Anyone from Ford looking for some young really talented designers, (Bill, Jr. I know you're reading this) I have a portfolio ready for viewing B)
Old 5/21/04, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

see where i live here in Edmonton i can pretty much garantee that no one knows anyone big around here... so i think thats out...

but anyways if i goto Wyotech i hope to get on with someone thats well known in the industry already... that way it would be alot easier to get my name out there right... anyways if i goto the design schools then no matter what id try and get my name out there as best as i can... hopefully within the next 5-15 years people will know who i am and ill have a really good reputation in the auto industry
Old 5/21/04, 09:50 PM
Cobra Member

Just don't forget the guys who helped ya along the way (and good luck )
Old 5/21/04, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

like i said b4 how am i going to forget u guys? ive only be coming to this site since 2001 or something like that... and ive been a member here since 2002
Old 5/21/04, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

i dont know anything about that school but i did spend 20 grand to go to school for harley-davidson mechanics.

Once you get there you will find out everyone wants their own shop. No one wants to change oil and tires forever

I have had several "careers" before... it's kinda fun doing somethin for work that you actually like to do.

Unless you have major financial backing you will probably need a few yrs experience before you can even think about getting your own shop. The guys that will spend the big $ on custom jobs will want you to have some kind of track record not just school.

Personally I hate to work on cars... hate crawling under em.. stuff is hard to get to etc... but that's why they have car mechanics i guess.

good luck if u decide to go to school.
Old 5/21/04, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

yah i know i wasnt planning on starting a shop right away... not for at least 10 -15 years down the road when im well established in the industry will i get myself my own shop... i for one even when i do get my own shop ill be totally hands on with the rods still i dont believe in letting everyone else do the work for me and i place my name on it ala Coddington... i just dont think thats cool... but yes i know i wont be able to do all the work on all the rods that id have in my shop... but hey ill at least try and do alot of work on them still... granted most of the work id be down would probably be directed at show cars and such... but hey... im just going to have to see how it all plays out...
Old 5/21/04, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

thats cool. i agree with you... i dont think it's cool for someone else to do all the work and have someone call it their own... i guess it happens all the time though.
Old 5/21/04, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

yup it does... but that just aint my style... what can i say
Old 5/21/04, 10:48 PM
Cobra Member

Just remember kids, Ford, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley and many others all were started by a guy who ingrained his spirit and passions into the product. Lamborghini: "Ferrari stinks, I could make a better car..."
Porsche:"The last car ever made will be a sports car."

That being said, a custom car builder should build custom cars (Boyd, I'm looking at you)
Old 5/21/04, 10:50 PM
Bullitt Member

id be pissed if i was the guy building all of____'s (insert name) custom bikes/cars. i hope they at least pay them well.
Old 5/21/04, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

yah i know... thats the thing that ticks me off with Boyd Coddington... everyone else builds the cars for him... and he gives them poo while they are building the cars... and then when they are done he takes all the credit for it and places his name on the car...

Quick Reply: OT: Just wondering....