Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

OT: Just wondering....

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/04, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hey guys i was just wondering... do u guys think i should dish out $20-28,000 USD to go to Wyotech and take coarses for owning for myself a Streetrod Shop... or not?

edit: see i just sold my '01 Mustang GT... so now i got money for post secondary and ever since i was 6 years old ive been designing cars and wanting to own my own shop. so do u guys think its a good plan? oh BTW im from Canada so its a big decision to make yah know...
Old 5/21/04, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't say I've heard of the place, but I do agree with you on how it's a big decision. Post-Secondary here is about the equivilant of an Ivy-League University in the states as far as admissions. I've applied at Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design and it's a tough ordeal. In a way I wish I'd applied for University in the States, since I could easily be top of my class with their lax admissions.

Where in Canada are you from/living?

edit: Just checked Wyotech's site. Looks like a great school from what it says. I'd wait for first hand experienced advice before deciding whether to go though if I were you.
Old 5/21/04, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I live in Edmonton Alberta... so yah all 3 Wyotech campus's are quite far away so i wasnt planning on making a quick light hearted decision that i might regret later on...

but see the thing is that Wyotech dish's out some of the best and most talanted automotive students in north america... its the place where the next Chip Foose and Troy Tripanei(sp?) will get their start...
Old 5/21/04, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm.. Sounds promising.
Old 5/21/04, 12:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

yah... but its still a very big decision to make and i just dont know... its very hard yah know because im only 18 at the moment will be 19 in a month... and it would mean ill be on my own literally... yah know...
Old 5/21/04, 01:42 AM
Cobra Member

Moderators, attack!!
Old 5/21/04, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lightbulb

gees it was just a simple question gees some people are so touchy...
Old 5/21/04, 02:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the only rule this thread breaks is that it's a little out of place. A simple moving to the Off-Topic forum and all is good. It's a valid question he asked, so it shouldn't be ignored or harassed, just moved.
Old 5/21/04, 02:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, and WaveMan, I can relate. I just turned 19 two months ago. It's a weird age what with all the new levels of independance. Plus here it's the drinking age, so there're all these new places to legally explore. I'm failing miserably at it. I wish I hadn't taken my time chosing a university. Now if I don't get in, I have to wait even longer and try for spring semester. I'll be so much older than my classmates.
Old 5/21/04, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

To the off topic forum Batman!
Old 5/21/04, 06:13 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
DO IT!!

If I could "do-it-all-over-again" I would take a chance and go to Wyo-Tech. But I am also very happy in my career path!!

If one loves cars and loves to work on them, it would seem to be a good choice!
Old 5/21/04, 06:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Go for it man! I've had dreams my whole life of being in car design and never followed them. I could open a custom paint shop, but the ricers would drive me nuts making me paint crap on their cars instead of designing something cool.... :P
Old 5/21/04, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

If you want to build cars like Coddington and Trepanier, then Wyotech is the best START. Notice start is in caps. Once you graduate, go to work for a good builder. You may have to sacrifice alot to do it, but you will learn what you need to open your own shop. Troy was lucky because he learned his craft from his working with his dad for many years, who is also a good builder. Coddington was an excellent metal worker who relied more on other peoples designs which he then executed. He really didn't design alot of the cars he built, he was just an excellent builder. In fact, Chip Foose designed alot of the cars that Boyd built. Alan Johnson in Alabama is another excellent builder, along with others.

Its a great career to do for a living, but it can take time to hone your craft. Wyotech is a good start. The other thing that gets you started in the street rod business is obviously reputation. The way to do that is find a good design for a car, find someone who wants to have it built, then build it. If you have to lose money on building it, do it, but stay true to the course and build it right and don't cut corners. Take the car to the big shows and if you can win just one big award, that can make your career. Once that happens, your phone will start ringing from guys who have money and want cars built and then you can start charging decent money. Dave Lane is a guy from Iowa who built a couple of cars, was doing it part time, built a nice 59 Chevy wagon that got some good press, was contacted by a guy to do a rod, built it, won Good Guys street rod of the year, and now builds cars full time.
Old 5/21/04, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wanted to go to Wyotech, but I will end up going to UTI since one is here in Southern California. I do need a car to drive there, so whether a 6 or GT will take me (depending on final pice)\I say you should go no questions asked.
Old 5/21/04, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exclamation

thanx guys for help i really needed some more opinions on the decision

oh and i know about all the guys that were mentioned in the posts by u guys... Troy and Chip are like my hero's when it comes to custom car building and the great thing about Wyotech is that i believe i read this on their site... like 80% of all graduates get a job in a shop right out of the gate... cant complain about that now can i

oh and thanx again to the guys that didnt flame me for posting this...
Old 5/21/04, 12:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah man go for it, just remember all us little guys(for discounts that it) B)
Old 5/21/04, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

how will i be able to forget all of u guys? thats just not right...
Old 5/21/04, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

well then forget them, and give me a discount!
Old 5/21/04, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

I assume yah=you.

Call them and talk to them about what you want to do if you haven't already. Get a complete grasp of what you'll learn there and if you like, just do it.
Old 5/21/04, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

me and my parents were actually thinking about taking a lil trip down to the West Sacramento Cali. campus to get all the info directly plus we then could take a tour of the campus and such... and then i was going to go from there

and if we dont go to the West Sacramento campus we'd be going to the main campus in Wyoming... and do the tour and such there... so that we can get a true grasp at what i might be in for and all

Quick Reply: OT: Just wondering....