Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Noisy neighbor problem

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/13, 12:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Noisy neighbor problem

So, I have a guy that lives upstairs that likes to play bongo / jungle-type music constantly, starting in the morning from as early as 8AM and going till 10-11PM.
EVERY. DAY.
It's a building/condo complex, 6-story buildings, I'm on the 4th floor, he's directly above on the 5th.
He's been doing it for years. He even confronted my Uncle when He owned this place, back in 2007-2008, a 70-year old man dying of cancer, and told him he'd punch him out if he called the cops on him again. This guy looks weird, behaves weird, I believe he's on heavy amounts of daily medication.
I don't even think my Uncle was the one that called the cops at the time.

His jungle music can even be heard by the neighbor below me, her and I have chatted several times about him and his ongoing disturbing behavior, and we're stumped as to what to do about him

We've complained to the maintenance guy, I believe the lady above him has complained also, people have called the cops and they haven't deterred him much.
He still does his thing every day.
Now, the place is mostly owners, but there are some renters here too.
I'm an owner, he is an owner, and I believe that's where part of the problem lies. He can't be evicted as far as I know, since he's not a renter.

I haven't confronted him yet as I don't want it to turn physical. I have too much to lose if I get sued by this weirdo.
And crazy people like this always know more about being crazy than the rest of us.

But there's gotta be a law somewhere that you can't constantly annoy your neighbors and get away with it.

Anybody have any lawful or other advice?

P.S.: I do have a pretty good lawyer. Haven't talked with him about things yet though ...

Old 5/18/13, 01:46 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I would do is try to talk with him peacefully. If that doesn't work I'd call the cops but make sure to get a police report. I would document everything with as much paperwork and recordings as I could (since you mentioned a lawyer). If you plan to sue you will need that
Old 5/18/13, 01:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Cook cabbage frequently.
Old 5/18/13, 01:50 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Cook cabbage frequently.
yes stink flows uphill .. find some terrible smelling stuff and find a way to leak it into his floor ...
Old 5/18/13, 01:56 PM

Yes! I'm totally serious.. The smell rises and sticks. Why not dish the torment back on that inconsiderate man?
Old 5/18/13, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
This is why I will never, ever live in another complex again. This kind of thing is just unreasonable. No one should have to put up with this kind of nonsense.
Old 5/18/13, 02:13 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it were me id organize something for everyone to play whatever music they have and blast it at unreasonable times. Just make sure everyones on the same page or things could get ugly lol

Really though enough complaints to the police and they will have to do something about it. I understand he is an owner but that still shouldnt be reason for him to be asked to relocate or evicted. Yes he pays for it but so does everyone else. If he's being an inconsiderate jackwipe then get em out. My .2
Old 5/18/13, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Cook cabbage frequently.
As of right now I still don't have appliances in my condo as I'm remodeling the whole place, and the new appliances haven't been delivered yet. I have an old fridge, a microwave, a coffee maker and a toaster, so no stove to really let things boil on

Originally Posted by HOSS429
yes stink flows uphill .. find some terrible smelling stuff and find a way to leak it into his floor ...
Leak it into his floor? Can't do that, each unit has concrete-slab floor and cinder blocks on the unit's outer walls. I'd have to live above him and leak it but then he could sue me for fixing his ceiling. I'm not getting involved in any leaking anything.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
First thing I would do is try to talk with him peacefully. If that doesn't work I'd call the cops but make sure to get a police report. I would document everything with as much paperwork and recordings as I could (since you mentioned a lawyer). If you plan to sue you will need that
Originally Posted by CCTking
If it were me id organize something for everyone to play whatever music they have and blast it at unreasonable times. Just make sure everyones on the same page or things could get ugly lol

Really though enough complaints to the police and they will have to do something about it. I understand he is an owner but that still shouldnt be reason for him to be asked to relocate or evicted. Yes he pays for it but so does everyone else. If he's being an inconsiderate jackwipe then get em out. My .2
I'm trying to stay away from police-calling since I don't want him to become vindictive and damage my cars. He knows me, knows where I park, and it's 1 space away from where he parks his 15+ year-old Honda Accord.

I'm stuck. Don't know what else I can do about him.
I'm planning on moving out of here next year, but there are times that I don't think I'll make it till then without going up there and getting physical. And I really don't want that.
Right now if it gets real bad I go out for a drive for an hour or so ...
Old 5/18/13, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Herbert play your music at 2am untill 6am or so... that is after you get some good ear plugs so you can sleep through it. the other thing I was thinking is go up there with a 6 pack of beer and chat it up with him. Start by asking about his music and tell him you like it and would like to know who some of the artist are so you can get some of your own. #3 get something you can attach to your celing that vibrates or hums and turn that on at 11 or 12 and let that go all night
Old 5/18/13, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
oh yea one more thing you can do is light a paper bag full of poop on fire by his door then know on the door and run
Old 5/18/13, 06:18 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a neighbor a while back that loved to have parties till 3 or 4 am. They'd blast tejano music the whole time and sometimes karaoke with it. Until I started playing death metal on the radio or my guitar really loud as early the morning as I could the next day. They moved very soon after I started doing that.

Last edited by Vader99; 5/18/13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 5/18/13, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I would try to talk to him first and let him know that you can hear it all day and it bothers you and your neighbors, and you would like if he could turn it down. If that doesnt work, get 2 of these, and crank up some Korn, Godsmack, Rob Zombie, and Nine Inch Nails, then maybe he'll get the picture. At least you wont hear his stuff.
Old 5/18/13, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have a powered 12" home-theater sub that I've been thinking of somehow installing so that it's up and very close to the ceiling, then start pounding some bass-heavy music.
I have about 20 CD's of that kinda stuff from my teenager years when I'd drive around town with the trunk rattling and you couldn't hear anything but bass come from the car ... lol

As of 8:19 (a few minutes ago), he started bongo-ing again. I can clearly hear him up there now. I HATE this man ...
Old 5/18/13, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, he stopped a couple of minutes before 9PM, so I was only treated to about 40 minutes of jungle bongo music tonight.
That's not to say he won't re-start and play till 11PM like he does most evenings.

But I'm saying my prayers that he stopped cuz he slit his wrists or something
Old 5/18/13, 07:31 PM

Man I totally feel you. I can't sleep with any type of noise. I even wake my lady up if she snores lightly. I lived in an apartment in grad school and had a family of a scratching squirrels right over my bed. Drove me nuts for six months.

I wish I could tell to how I solved the problem but I'm sure PETA folks would not approve. Oh well. I had a thesis to write.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/18/13 at 07:32 PM.
Old 5/18/13, 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LMAO ...
Old 5/18/13, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If its not illegal, and police cant do anything about it, then you wont win.
If the guy does this every day, then its a hobby of his. that's like someone asking you to drive slow or replace your exhaust to your mustang, because its too loud, you will tell them to buzz off.
Your options are limited, so talk to your lawyer and have a list of rules and regulation for that complex, there might be time/noise level charts etc.
Old 5/18/13, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

9:57 PM and I'm hearing bongo music again

Edit at 10:18PM : He seems to be done. Here's hoping that it's for the night!

Last edited by Gabe; 5/18/13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 5/21/13, 12:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
That definitely sucks and is horribly inconsiderate. But I follow the 10-10 rule...10am to 10pm, I'm gonna be as loud as I want...and 10pm to 10am are quiet hours. But if he's really being that loud, then it doesn't matter what time it is...disturbing the peace is disturbing the peace. I'm sure it'd be a lot easier to get rid of him, if he were renting. But none the less, I'd call the cops on him *constantly*...Until they decide to fine him and he gets tired of the fines. I'd also encourage your neighbors to call the cops on him too, so that they know it's not just you that is having the problem. If he's bothering multiple people, then I think the cops will take you more seriously.
Old 5/27/13, 05:47 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Man,...you're a patient man Gabe.
When I was with my last girlfriend, the people above us had a couple of little kids living there. Actually, they were the grandkids and sometimes the parents lived there, sometimes not. (Let's just say it and get it over with, they were the epitome of white trash.) The banging and jumping on the floors on top of our heads would drive me f'en insane. I find that very, very rude and very inconsiderate, since I wouldn't do that to anyone. I would curse and flip out all the time.
I hope you get that issue resolved. I feel your pain bro. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: Noisy neighbor problem